Zone1 How Might Secession be Worked Out?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Clean Debate, please. HYPOTHETICALLY, if a State was allowed to secede from the U.S., what would be the biggest issues and how might they be resolved? I suppose that a State could simply keep all the federal tax revenues and provide all of the attendant services, but should it also accept its share of the national debt and contribute to mutual defense costs? I think Social Security and Medicare could be taken over by a State since they are essentially pay-as-you go programs. Any other major issues that would have to be worked out?

Clean Debate, please. HYPOTHETICALLY, if a State was allowed to secede from the U.S., what would be the biggest issues and how might they be resolved? I suppose that a State could simply keep all the federal tax revenues and provide all of the attendant services, but should it also accept its share of the national debt and contribute to mutual defense costs? I think Social Security and Medicare could be taken over by a State since they are essentially pay-as-you go programs. Any other major issues that would have to be worked out?
One nation, indivisible.

This is what you will run into, the Left owns the federal government and will never let any state exit the union.

It's like joining the mob. There is no getting out.
Yeah bros never start a nation it's just going to be a huge failure you're going to want to bail out of in a couple hundred years when you stop being allowed to oppress people you don't like

This is what you will run into, the Left owns the federal government and will never let any state exit the union.

It's like joining the mob. There is no getting out.
Individual states do not have the militaries to protect against foreign invasion.

They also don't have the revenue to respond to natural disasters.
Texas and hurricanes comes to mind.
Even with all their talk about being some kind of "fiercely independent Republican," Texas, everytime a hurricane comes ashore, starts groping for that federal FEMA tit.

How might secession be worked out? Blade drone strikes on the people calling for it.

The biggest issue is how is the state going to organize its government.

The leaders of these factions cannot think that far ahead and prepare for it, because they think that constitutional conventions are easy to do. Chances are they lack the intelligentsia in their state to get anywhere further than the erroneous examples of what they already have.

The ultimate solution to the issue of secession is a modern sophisticated constitutional convention

US4CC.meme.Morpheus - not_perfect_Constitution.png

Last edited:
The biggest issue is how is the state going to organize its government?
I live in a state where our governor steered her state through covid without losing any jobs or businesses. I live in a state where unborn babies are not murdered. I live in a state where everyone legally allowed to own a firearm can carry it wherever they go without asking permission. I live in a state where all voting is done on paper ballot on the day of the election or the day before. I live in a state where our governor has vowed to not allow illegal aliens to reside here.

I'll trust that the governor of my state can figure this out.

I pity everyone else. (Except for Floridians)

Individual states do not have the militaries to protect against foreign invasion.

Even with all their talk about being some kind of "fiercely independent Republican," Texas, everytime a hurricane comes ashore, starts groping for that federal FEMA tit.
When the US broke away from England they faced similar challenges.

There is a price for freedom, so count the cost.

But your point is taken, how do you survive in a world where collective entities grow larger and larger to subdue everyone else unless you join a collective entity to fight them?

For example, President Wilson and FDR both increased the size and scope of the federal government and it's military in order to compete with the collective forces in Europe and Japan.

Trouble is, you tend to become what you were fighting.

Not sure there is an answer there.

Power corrupts and the more centralized the power the more the corruption.

I think states will join a cohort of surrounding states. This might happen first somewhere in the South or Midwest.

I live in a blue city. I'm sorry the MAGA disease has convinced you our cities don't exist/are battlezones.
Good for you.

I escaped the blue I-5 corridor of Washington state where the drug dealers were moving onto my street with their poisons and I was afraid to leave my home after dark. If you like having drugs sold to children on your street and the possibility of being mugged/jacked every time you go out, you're welcome to it. If you like stepping around human waste when you walk down the sidewalk, cool.

I prefer the clean, quiet, safe streets of my small Midwest farming town where the sheriff's deputy can be seen patrolling my neighborhood every hour and if anyone sees a suspicious looking stranger on the street, it's announced on Facebook, by the sheriff's office. I like living in a town where the only graffiti is that painted on the sides of train cars that go through town.

But if you don't living in a clean, safe, quiet environment, good for you.

I think states will join a cohort of surrounding states. This might happen first somewhere in the South or Midwest.
This has already been tried.
It failed.
We are still dealing with the ugly fallout with many of the vanquished southern states still fighting to keep the participation trophies of their looser war heroes standing in public places.

how do you survive in a world where collective entities grow larger and larger to subdue everyone else unless you join a collective entity to fight them?
should it also accept its share of the national debt and contribute to mutual defense costs?
A simple yes or no (with an explanation, if necessary) would suffice. But at least you addressed this issue, which puts you in the upper 10% of responders. Why is it so difficult for most others to rationally participate in a discussion, especially in the CDZ?

All Splits Aren't Like the American Civil War

How did they do it when Czechoslovakia broke up? What was the plan if Scotland seceded from the United Kingdom or Quebec from Canada? They both had referendums, so let's start with having one here.

As a United Nations Colony, the Blue States Have Seceded Already

Who said anything about individual states? Thirty Red states will comprise Great America.

The biggest issue is how is the state going to organize its government.

The leaders of these factions cannot think that far ahead and prepare for it, because they think that constitutional conventions are easy to do. Chances are they lack the intelligentsia in their state to get anywhere further than the erroneous examples of what they already have.

The ultimate solution to the issue of secession is a modern sophisticated constitutional convention

View attachment 680307
A Supreme Set of Laws Is a Blueprint for Elitist Tyranny

A Constitution should be a temporary start-up document, to be superseded by all subsequent legislation or referendums on it.

Forum List

Back