How many times will HBO show "recount"

A totally liberally biased movie of the events of 2000

They are trying the same playbook that got the white house in 2008

Gore wins if wins his home state of Tennessee

CBS called the election with 10s of thousands in line in NW part of Florida, still waiting to vote

Hanging chads where not an issue in 63 of the 67 counties
Its was never discussed as to why the 3 most liberal counties by far in the state of Florida had issues that were to swing that vote by over 1000 votes

I voted in Florida that year and for the life of me how something that simple could get that far out of control

The movie ends with the claims that never have been proven to even took place

People need to elect our next president for all the right reasons, and we can only pray that we can get back to the good we had as a country from 2001 through the end of the GOP congress and through 2007

I think the problem you have is that you are whining because those of us who voted for Bush in 2000 benefited from an unfair system complicated by some gross shenningans engaged in by his brother.

I for the life of me don't know why something as archaic, anachronistic and undemocratic as the Electoral College is still allowed to exist. Probably because before the 2000 election, the last time it caused this sort of problem was 1888. But that problem is always there, lying under the surface, disenfranchising most of the country.

The thing is, we will never know with any certainty who actually got the most votes in Florida, but without a doubt, Gore got the most votes nationally.

The bigger problem is that 2000 weds the GOP to the electoral college. Even though it would be in the GOP's best interest to get rid of it, they can't without admitting 2000 was a huge mistake. Even though it puts Obama 90% of the way to re-election without really trying.

the issue with eliminating the Electoral college is simple
California and New York has more people than Texas and the rest of south pretty much

This is also why Florida id so divided and many wonder how many times people in Palm Beach County reallly vote
There is no more than 1 in 100 native Floridians in south Florida and other parts of the State such as Daytona
These retirees are not poor people either. Another item in the Movie that made a statement that the "poor" ended up with the old voting machines
Palm Beach County has very few poor I can promise

Any-way your thread was done with respect, for that I thank you

I think there was bad behavior on both sides in Florida,

The Democrats insisting only selected counties to recount the second recount. Trying to get overseas ballots disqualified. And yes, the networks calling Florida when polls were still open in the Panhandle. (Although that's more sloppy news reporting.)

The Republicans did a very sloppy clean up of voter rolls that got a lot of people disqualified that shouldn't have been because they had similar names to people who were. Trying to declare results final without recounts or before recounts were completed.

And then there were the unforced errors like the butterfly ballot. A democrat came up with it, and it might have caused confusion. Or it might not have. Pat Buchanan got a lot of votes in that county in 1992 and 1996, more than he got in 2000.

Which again, none of this would have mattered if we had a national vote.

My problem with the electoral college is that 40 states are considered sure things for one side or the other. On the brighter side, living in IL means I won't have to listen to all that many commercials of Romney trying to convince me he's human and Obama trying to convince me he's competent. But why should just 10 states decide this thing?

I think the problem you have is that you are whining because those of us who voted for Bush in 2000 benefited from an unfair system complicated by some gross shenningans engaged in by his brother.

I for the life of me don't know why something as archaic, anachronistic and undemocratic as the Electoral College is still allowed to exist. Probably because before the 2000 election, the last time it caused this sort of problem was 1888. But that problem is always there, lying under the surface, disenfranchising most of the country.

The thing is, we will never know with any certainty who actually got the most votes in Florida, but without a doubt, Gore got the most votes nationally.

The bigger problem is that 2000 weds the GOP to the electoral college. Even though it would be in the GOP's best interest to get rid of it, they can't without admitting 2000 was a huge mistake. Even though it puts Obama 90% of the way to re-election without really trying.

the issue with eliminating the Electoral college is simple
California and New York has more people than Texas and the rest of south pretty much

This is also why Florida id so divided and many wonder how many times people in Palm Beach County reallly vote
There is no more than 1 in 100 native Floridians in south Florida and other parts of the State such as Daytona
These retirees are not poor people either. Another item in the Movie that made a statement that the "poor" ended up with the old voting machines
Palm Beach County has very few poor I can promise

Any-way your thread was done with respect, for that I thank you

I think there was bad behavior on both sides in Florida,

The Democrats insisting only selected counties to recount the second recount. Trying to get overseas ballots disqualified. And yes, the networks calling Florida when polls were still open in the Panhandle. (Although that's more sloppy news reporting.)

The Republicans did a very sloppy clean up of voter rolls that got a lot of people disqualified that shouldn't have been because they had similar names to people who were. Trying to declare results final without recounts or before recounts were completed.

And then there were the unforced errors like the butterfly ballot. A democrat came up with it, and it might have caused confusion. Or it might not have. Pat Buchanan got a lot of votes in that county in 1992 and 1996, more than he got in 2000.

Which again, none of this would have mattered if we had a national vote.

My problem with the electoral college is that 40 states are considered sure things for one side or the other. On the brighter side, living in IL means I won't have to listen to all that many commercials of Romney trying to convince me he's human and Obama trying to convince me he's competent. But why should just 10 states decide this thing?

I tell you what
we will do it by who wins the most states?
GWB won 30 of the 50 states in 2000
We cannot allow California and NY to elect our president every 4 years

what was the supreme court suppose to do?
The entire state had the same type of machines
67 counties
the 3 most liberal counties having the only problems, with just enough problems to swat the election

GWB probably won 53 out of 67 Florida counties, yet there were only problems in 3?
Yea right

Want some cheese to go with that 'whine'?

The vote was frozen on behalf of Bush at a time when it was too close to call. In fact, the call was made just after 16,000 votes were subtracted from Gore in Volusia County. This was later discovered to be an error - but there was a clear pattern, starting with the disenfranchisement of black voters who were removed from voting rolls through the felon list.

JRK: Gore would have lost with a full recount of the 3 most liberal counties - which was his stupid strategy. Those counties were not the issue.

According to several agencies and Newspapers which recounted all the votes after the election, Gore's only chance at victory was a full statewide recount, which he didn't ask for . . . so it doesn't matter. It was the Supreme Court which decided not to count all the legal votes. Florida has a law on the books - which has been used over and over - which provides for a hand recount, and gives discretion to the voting board to analyze each under vote.

The Florida Supremes were going to mandate a statewide recount because said recount is Gore's right when the count falls inside a certain margin. However, the Supreme Court blocked what was a very standard practice in order to allow Florida to comply with a safe harbor date that is a mere convenience, and listed nowhere in the FLA code.

It was a stolen election by the most activist court in the history. The irony is that this court was hostile to the equal protection law, which was from the sixties civil rights movement. The real joke is that they said that different counting standards violated the equal protection clause. However, every county has different machines and standards, not only across the state of Florida, but all across the USA. It was a hoax. I didn't like Gore or Bush. Gore was part of the Clinton administration which deregulated Wall Street and screwed the American worker with NAFTA. I did a protest vote for Nadar in a state that Bush won handily. But that's not the point. The election was stolen by an activist Supreme Court. Had Obama's brother and campaign manager produced the same results in another state, everybody involved would be in jail.
Look here mr out of towner,
The 2000 election was stopped WELL AFTER election day. After polls had closed, daily reports of ballots being "found" and counted. Also, the democrats went judge shopping and finally found a jurist favorable to democrats that ruled absentee ballots from overseas military personnel invalid. The attorneys used technicality regarding a post mark deadline. Democrats knew that if the absentee votes were permitted, Gore was going to lose Florida handily.
Anyway, the point is moot. Bush won and served two terms. Gore faded into irrelevance.

67 counties
the 3 most liberal counties having the only problems, with just enough problems to swat the election

GWB probably won 53 out of 67 Florida counties, yet there were only problems in 3?
Yea right

Want some cheese to go with that 'whine'?

that is what most call information
Critical Information
Why is it that 100% of the state have no issue voting for GWB, yet have just enough problem with it in the 3 most liberal states to make an issue?

67 counties

Yea right

Why didi the SCOTUS say that decision should not be used as a precident setting decision?

I did not think the machines were different in Florida
May have been
The one I used was 200 miles north of palm beach
It was the same as far as I could tell

I thought the equal protection law had to do with the felony list as much as anything
I cannot understand why being a minority made it harder to vote with the same machine the white male voted for
Makes you wonder again as I said from day one of this event, how can you make a mistake on a machine that lining up the card and pushing down

Florida Central Voter File - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James Lee's testimony

On 17 April 2001, James Lee testified, before the McKinney panel, that the state had given DBT the directive to add to the purge list people who matched at least 90% of a last name. DBT objected, knowing that this would produce a huge number of false positives (non-felons).[7]

Lee went on saying that the state then ordered DBT to shift to an even lower threshold of 80% match, allowing also names to be reversed (thus a person named Thomas Clarence could be taken to be the same as Clarence Thomas). Besides this, middle initials were skipped, Jr. and Sr. suffixes dropped, and some nicknames and aliases were added to puff up the list.

"DBT told state officials", testified Lee, "that the rules for creating the [purge] list would mean a significant number of people who were not deceased, not registered in more than one county, or not a felon, would be included on the list. DBT made suggestions to reduce the numbers of eligible voters included on the list". According to Lee, to this suggestion the state told the company, "Forget about it".

"The people who worked on this (for DBT) are very adamant... they told them what would happen", said Lee. "The state expected the county supervisors to be the failsafe." Lee said his company will never again get involved in cleansing voting rolls. "We are not confident any of the methods used today can guarantee legal voters will not be wrongfully denied the right to vote", Lee told a group of Atlanta-area black lawmakers in March 2001.[8]

Or run away

Who are you talking to and what is it who ever that is-is suppose to be denying?

That the election in Florida from cradle to death was a disaster?

That not being able to use a simple device would cause this much trouble?

That only people in palm beach, Dade and Daytona had these issues?

And that a messed up ballot that was not done by a Military person was okay? But if you were in the military, no can do?

Forum List

Back