How many knew vote ID laws were Constitutional

if they have to pay for an ID it is tantamount to having to pay to vote.
Tantamount, as you know, means "equal to". How does paying for an identification "equal to" paying to vote?

Convicted Felons pay for their drivers licenses yet they can't vote.
Underage H.S. kids pay for an I.D. yet can't vote.

A kid gets his D/L and pays for it at 16 yet can't vote. 2 years later he can use that same D/L to provide I.D. to vote. Is that "tantamount" to paying to vote?

Hint: You're confusing paying for administrative costs of identification with a "poll tax".

if you cannot vote without the ID, and you have to pay for the ID, then you have to pay to vote.
But you're not paying to vote, you're paying for the ID. Some people get it and never vote, like my Uncle who says; "The less them fuckers know about me the better!" :lol:

If they made you buy the ID at the poll in order to vote then you'd have a point.

They ask for my ID when I buy alcohol, does that mean they're making me pay to buy alcohol? Isn't paying for the alcohol enough? Now I have to pay for the privilege of buying alcohol? :confused:

Tantamount, as you know, means "equal to". How does paying for an identification "equal to" paying to vote?

Convicted Felons pay for their drivers licenses yet they can't vote.
Underage H.S. kids pay for an I.D. yet can't vote.

A kid gets his D/L and pays for it at 16 yet can't vote. 2 years later he can use that same D/L to provide I.D. to vote. Is that "tantamount" to paying to vote?

Hint: You're confusing paying for administrative costs of identification with a "poll tax".

if you cannot vote without the ID, and you have to pay for the ID, then you have to pay to vote.
But you're not paying to vote, you're paying for the ID. Some people get it and never vote, like my Uncle who says; "The less them fuckers know about me the better!" :lol:

If they made you buy the ID at the poll in order to vote then you'd have a point.

They ask for my ID when I buy alcohol, does that mean they're making me pay to buy alcohol? Isn't paying for the alcohol enough? Now I have to pay for the privilege of buying alcohol? :confused:
Nah, they have a valid point, especially considering federal law requiring a state issued ID.

So, that makes it (1) equivalent to a poll tax; (2) not much different than federal law requiring a person to buy health insurance.

It's a simple fix, though. States should not charge for the ID (if one is used in lieu of a drivers license).

Because I do want photo IDs required to vote.

Supreme Court upholds voter ID law - politics - msnbc.com

Just curious how many knew that the Supreme Court ruled that Voter ID was Constitutional?

I did NOT.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, this is still another example of why some of us think we have become a police state.

papers1.jpeg

You haf papers?

Nah, they have a valid point, especially considering federal law requiring a state issued ID.

So, that makes it (1) equivalent to a poll tax; (2) not much different than federal law requiring a person to buy health insurance.

Pretty sure I had to show a PICTURE ID and prove of residence when I REGISTERED to vote. In both Washington State and North Carolina when I changed residency.

So how is it unconstitutional to require picture ID to vote BUT constitutional to require ID to register? One has to register BEFORE one can vote.

Oh, it absolutely is....it is unconstitutional to make people pay to vote.
How are they being made to pay to vote?

If you have to pay for ID..and ID is required to vote?

Really? Is that a hard concept for you?

Can one vote without ever registering? Why suddenly is it illegal to require ID to vote but perfectly legal to require ID to register?

And if you claim ID is not needed to register how exactly does a State ensure people that are registering are legally who they say they are and able to vote?

The Supreme Court upheld Indiana's voter ID law. Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws...laws that are designed to favor one party over the other. Take Texas, for example, where a gun permit is an accepted form of ID, but a student ID isn't.

The SCOTUS ruling left open challenges to its ruling if someone is able to prove disenfranchisement...like this lady.

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID

How are they being made to pay to vote?

If you have to pay for ID..and ID is required to vote?

Really? Is that a hard concept for you?

Can one vote without ever registering? Why suddenly is it illegal to require ID to vote but perfectly legal to require ID to register?

And if you claim ID is not needed to register how exactly does a State ensure people that are registering are legally who they say they are and able to vote?

My state, California, is not an "ID" state. Voters, when they register, provide either their CDL or the last four digits of their SSN. That information is run through a statewide system that checks their name, DOB and ID provided. If it passes the Calvalidator system, the voter simply signs the Roster of Voters at the polls. If it fails the system, their record is "flagged" and the voter must show some form of ID at the polls when they go to vote. There is a list of 20+ forms of ID that are accepted at the polls. It does not have to be a PHOTO ID.

The Supreme Court upheld Indiana's voter ID law. Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws...laws that are designed to favor one party over the other. Take Texas, for example, where a gun permit is an accepted form of ID, but a student ID isn't.

The SCOTUS ruling left open challenges to its ruling if someone is able to prove disenfranchisement...like this lady.

Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws
true, and they ALL have a free ID provision.

laws that are designed to favor one party over the other
that is opinion, not fact.

Take Texas, for example, where a gun permit is an accepted form of ID, but a student ID isn't.
Incorrect.
NCSL: Voter Identification Requirements

Existing law:
Voter registration certificate
Driver’s license
Department of Public Safety ID card
A form of ID containing the person’s photo that establishes the person’s identity
A birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person’s identity
U.S. citizenship papers
A U.S. passport
Official mail addressed to the person, by name, from a governmental entity
A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the person’s name and address
Any other form of ID prescribed by the secretary of state
The bolded item would include a student ID, as they are picture ID's.
Additionally,
A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and cannot present other identification may vote a provisional ballot. A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and whose name is not on the list of registered voters may vote a provisional ballot.
so, even without ID, and without being on the registration list, they can still vote.
So, which party does that prevent from voting? None.

Last edited:

You might want to read the entire article...
Absentee ballots don't require photo ID, and the new state law was crafted to allow that exception. A U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding a similar Indiana statute cited the absentee ballot exception as one of the reasons the Indiana law didn't infringe on constitutional voting rights.
She was denied an ID, but she was NOT prevented from voting, so no disenfranchisement occurred.

More telling is republican efforts to do away with early voting and/or extended voting hours, such as in North Carolina.

Please show for us a requirement for extended voting days or extended hours. Some federal requirement if you please.

Please show where he said any of that was required.

Anyway....

Required or not, it doesn't make it less true.

I think it is true.

But which states require voter ID but don't make a provision for someone to get a free ID if needed?

Wisconsin Official Instructs Staff Not To Mention Free IDs For Voting

I think that memo sucked. But the free ID is still available.

Obtaining an ID card - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Free Wisconsin ID cards for voting

A free ID card is available under Wisconsin law to anyone who:

will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and;
requests an ID card for the purpose of voting.​

A free ID card is NOT available under the following circumstances:

If you currently have a valid, unexpired driver license (DL), you are not eligible under Wisconsin law to obtain an ID.
If you will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election.
If you already have a Wisconsin ID card that is not eligible for renewal (you may renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date).
If you are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin.​

And frankly, if people aren't competent enough to figure out how to get an ID, then I don't feel too bad about them not voting.

Don't go accusing me of being Jim Crow the way some people already have when I expressed that sentiment. It's just common sense. If you're not competent enough to get an ID, then how informed is your vote likely to be?

Since when is Competency a requirement for voting...look at 2010 as a prime example.

I think that memo sucked. But the free ID is still available.

Obtaining an ID card - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Free Wisconsin ID cards for voting

A free ID card is available under Wisconsin law to anyone who:

will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and;
requests an ID card for the purpose of voting.​

A free ID card is NOT available under the following circumstances:

If you currently have a valid, unexpired driver license (DL), you are not eligible under Wisconsin law to obtain an ID.
If you will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election.
If you already have a Wisconsin ID card that is not eligible for renewal (you may renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date).
If you are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin.​

And frankly, if people aren't competent enough to figure out how to get an ID, then I don't feel too bad about them not voting.

Don't go accusing me of being Jim Crow the way some people already have when I expressed that sentiment. It's just common sense. If you're not competent enough to get an ID, then how informed is your vote likely to be?

Since when is Competency a requirement for voting...look at 2010 as a prime example.

Or 2008.

Forum List

Back