How many knew vote ID laws were Constitutional

I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

There's so much bullshit in this post I don't know where to begin.

1) You don't "register" to vote at the polling place.

2) Nobody argues that you shouldn't have to produce an ID to register, only to actually vote.

3) Hanging chads have nothing to do with producing an ID to vote.

4) "Liberals" are absolutely right in their "voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote".

5) I seriously doubt that anyone really became irked that you produced an ID to vote unless you made some smart assed comment along with it.

1) In Wisconsin you can.

2) In Wisconsin, your utility bill showing your address is (has been) enough to let you register.

I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

2) Nobody argues that you shouldn't have to produce an ID to register, only to actually vote.

4) "Liberals" are absolutely right in their "voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote".

5) I seriously doubt that anyone really became irked that you produced an ID to vote unless you made some smart assed comment along with it.

1) In Wisconsin you can.

2) In Wisconsin, your utility bill showing your address is (has been) enough to let you register.

Not anymore.......

Starting in 2012, voters will be required to show a photo ID such as a driver license or state-issued ID in order to receive a ballot and vote.

Voter Photo ID Law Information | Government Accountability Board

If you present yourself to register to vote and you are not already in possession of a photo ID such as a driver's license, passport, or student ID, you should still be required to present one and thus be denied registration until you can produce one. People who do not already possess a photo ID but wish to register to vote should be able to obtain a FREE photo ID from the State Registry for the sole purpose of voter registration identification so there is no financial obstacle to registration... Given that everyone would now have equal access to voter registration, there should be no problem requiring the presentation of said ID at the voting booth on election day.
I totally agree, except that the IDs need to be state-issued. And, the ID must be free, as you said.

:eusa_whistle:

I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services? If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

Have you seen the documentation needed for Section 8 housing? Carrying a card is not really that difficult.

1) In Wisconsin you can.

Not anymore.......

Starting in 2012, voters will be required to show a photo ID such as a driver license or state-issued ID in order to receive a ballot and vote.

Voter Photo ID Law Information | Government Accountability Board

Your comment here is about voting.

I was addressing your earlier claim that people don't register at the polling place. There is still same day registration in Wisconsin.

I also addressed your claim that people don't argue that people should be allowed to register without having to show an ID. Democrats in Wisconsin do/did in fact argue this. They do/did not think the law needed changing. The law which was on the books in 2010 and which some want us to go back to let you register with as little as a utility bill to show your residence.

Last edited:
I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services? If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

Have you seen the documentation needed for Section 8 housing? Carrying a card is not really that difficult.

Nevertheless why does the GOP create and fight a problem (voter fraud) that doesn't exist?

Nevertheless why does the GOP create and fight a problem (voter fraud) that doesn't exist?

So I suppose dead people have never voted in Illinois before?

So I suppose dead people have never voted in Illinois before?

Illinois Voter Photo ID:

200px-Logan_stephen--illinois_historical_library_large.jpg

:thup:

I think it is true.

But which states require voter ID but don't make a provision for someone to get a free ID if needed?

Wisconsin Official Instructs Staff Not To Mention Free IDs For Voting

I think that memo sucked. But the free ID is still available.

Obtaining an ID card - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Free Wisconsin ID cards for voting

A free ID card is available under Wisconsin law to anyone who:

will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and;
requests an ID card for the purpose of voting.​

A free ID card is NOT available under the following circumstances:

If you currently have a valid, unexpired driver license (DL), you are not eligible under Wisconsin law to obtain an ID.
If you will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election.
If you already have a Wisconsin ID card that is not eligible for renewal (you may renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date).
If you are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin.​

And frankly, if people aren't competent enough to figure out how to get an ID, then I don't feel too bad about them not voting.

Don't go accusing me of being Jim Crow the way some people already have when I expressed that sentiment. It's just common sense. If you're not competent enough to get an ID, then how informed is your vote likely to be?

If they only allowed informed voters, the Dems would never win another election.

If you present yourself to register to vote and you are not already in possession of a photo ID such as a driver's license, passport, or student ID, you should still be required to present one and thus be denied registration until you can produce one. People who do not already possess a photo ID but wish to register to vote should be able to obtain a FREE photo ID from the State Registry for the sole purpose of voter registration identification so there is no financial obstacle to registration... Given that everyone would now have equal access to voter registration, there should be no problem requiring the presentation of said ID at the voting booth on election day.
I totally agree, except that the IDs need to be state-issued. And, the ID must be free, as you said.

The technology might already be there for voting booths to require a thumb print, as a form of personal identification, before you can cast a ballot. This would then eliminate the excuse from those on this thread, from having people undergo such a costly process of having to come up with a photo ID. However that might not be enough either, because there will most likely be those on the left who will try to make the case that certain individuals with "questionable" backgrounds in illegal behavior might be denied THEIR Constitutional rights to vote. Sometimes, no matter the effort, you can still always forsee the writing on the wall. This subject has always been viewed negatively by those on the left, and here I thought it was the Right that's to be viewed as the party of "No". Interesting how positons do change, but somehow always find their "justification" to obscure their ideological views.

Last edited:

The technology might already be there for voting booths to require a thumb print, as a form of personal identification, before you can cast a ballot. This would then eliminate the excuse from those on this thread, from having people undergo such a costly process of having to come up with a photo ID. However that might not be enough either, because there will most likely be those on the left who will try to make the case that certain individuals with "questionable" backgrounds in illegal behavior might be denied THEIR Constitutional rights to vote. Sometimes, no matter the effort, you can still always forsee the writing on the wall. This subject has always been viewed negatively by those on the left, and here I thought it was the Right that's to be viewed as the party of "No". Interesting how positons do change, but somehow always find their "justification" to obscure their ideological views.

Every state already has a registry department in place, complete with all the necessary ID making equipment and workers paid to create them daily. Some new thumb print technology may already exist but implementing it would definitely be more costly than simply providing access to a free ID to the small percentage of citizens who do not already posses an ID for other purposes. I think requiring a thumb print at the voting booth is going overboard unnecessarily and any other issues of citizenship etc should be addressed at the state registry not at the voting booth...

BillHop

takes care of the Chattanooga type stuff.

I agree that a college ID (picture) should be acceptable. However, since it is not a state or federally issued ID, I can understand it not being accepted.

Point being, in all these new voter ID laws, there are provisions for free ID's, provisional ballots are easily cast, etc. NO ONE is prevented from voting because they do not have the required ID with them when they go to vote.

If their vote isn't counted because they couldn't get the photo ID then they didn't actually get to vote. You can't tell me it isn't partisan shenanigans when a concealed carry permit is acceptable ID and a State University student ID is not. Why are people born before 1934 exempted from the ID requirement? Old people can be illegal too you know. It couldn't possibly be because in Texas, people over 65 vote Republican can it?

Like I said, if these laws push more people to Vote by Mail...good. It's cheaper, easier to manage and each and every signature is verified. Let's go ALL vote by mail!

what part of 'a provisional ballot may be cast, even without ID, and even without being listed on the voter registration rolls' did you miss?

The post office is about to cut it's processing workforce in half. Do you really want to temp fate about your ballot arriving on time to be counted? Also, since mailing costs money, that would be akin to a 'poll tax', which I know you are against.

Simply voting provisionally does not equate to the vote being counted.

Ballots are mailed 29 days before an election. Even if the post office gets rid of next day service, you'll still get your ballot in plenty of time.

Ballots are never rejected for a lack of proper postage and if our elections were ALL VBM like Oregon, counties could pay the return postage. It's still tons cheaper than having polling places.

75% of the votes cast in my county in November were by mail. It isn't going away.

Simply voting provisionally does not equate to the vote being counted.

Ballots are mailed 29 days before an election. Even if the post office gets rid of next day service, you'll still get your ballot in plenty of time.

Ballots are never rejected for a lack of proper postage and if our elections were ALL VBM like Oregon, counties could pay the return postage. It's still tons cheaper than having polling places.

75% of the votes cast in my county in November were by mail. It isn't going away.

Nor does it mean your vote will not be counted. If you follow the rules, it counts, period.

I am not against the mail idea, actually, but not as the sole source of voting.

When I spoke of cost, I was talking about all the costs involved. To the sender, the post office, etc. Everything. I don't know of any studies showing definitively it is cheaper to hold an election by mail only, but it would be interesting to find out.

More BS from the Pubs- same as all the ACORN stuff. NO actually voting fraud, but half the dupes believe they stole the election. What a bunch of functional morons- change the channel.

Barack Obama
In at least 40 states, the GOP has introduced laws that would make it harder to vote—especially for minorities and young voters. Find out how you can help stand up for voting rights: The Republican Effort to Restrict Voting Rights | Protectingthevote.com

Forum List

Back