How many knew vote ID laws were Constitutional

The Supreme Court upheld Indiana's voter ID law. Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws...laws that are designed to favor one party over the other. Take Texas, for example, where a gun permit is an accepted form of ID, but a student ID isn't.

The SCOTUS ruling left open challenges to its ruling if someone is able to prove disenfranchisement...like this lady.

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID

Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws
true, and they ALL have a free ID provision.

that is opinion, not fact.

Incorrect.
NCSL: Voter Identification Requirements

Existing law:
Voter registration certificate
Driver’s license
Department of Public Safety ID card
A form of ID containing the person’s photo that establishes the person’s identity
A birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person’s identity
U.S. citizenship papers
A U.S. passport
Official mail addressed to the person, by name, from a governmental entity
A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the person’s name and address
Any other form of ID prescribed by the secretary of state
The bolded item would include a student ID, as they are picture ID's.
Additionally,
A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and cannot present other identification may vote a provisional ballot. A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and whose name is not on the list of registered voters may vote a provisional ballot.
so, even without ID, and without being on the registration list, they can still vote.
So, which party does that prevent from voting? None.

The Texas voter ID law hasn't gone into effect yet...it is being reviewed by the Justice Department, thankfully. (That's what happens in those "Jim Crow" states that have, historically, tried to disenfranchise black voters.)

Under Texas' voter identification law, voters will be required to show government-issued identification to cast ballots.

Acceptable forms of ID include: a Texas driver's license; a personal ID issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety; an election certificate, which is a new form of state photo identification created by the legislation; a U.S. military ID card; a U.S. passport; or a Texas concealed handgun permit. State university IDs are not acceptable.​

Justice Department seeks more details on Texas' voter ID law

Now, why would Texas change their voter ID laws? It couldn't possibly be that gun owners are overwhelmingly more likely to vote for a Republican, right? Nah, they can't be it...Oh, and Texas exempted people born before 1934...Funny that John McCain won that "over 65" age group by a large margin in Texas. That couldn't possibly be why Texas would exempt them from having to provide IDs though, right? :rolleyes:

You can still "vote" provisionally without an ID, but it won't be counted if you can't produce it.

The "up" side to all of this is that these laws are driving more and more people to register to vote by mail. Now THAT is a true cost saver...

It's a simple fix, though. States should not charge for the ID (if one is used in lieu of a drivers license).

Because I do want photo IDs required to vote.

Why? Give me one good reason why anyone would want to require photo ID's. And don't try to say to prevent voter fraud because that's a lie. It's statistically non-existent.

There is almost no voting fraud in America.

We all know exactly why there is a desire to pass these laws. To make it harder for the electorate to vote. To pretend otherwise is disingenious at best.

The only reason Republicans are passing these laws is to give themselves a political edge by suppressing Democratic votes.

Some of the desperate Republican attempts to keep college students from voting are almost comical in their transparent partisanship. No college ID card in Wisconsin meets the state’s new stringent requirements (as lawmakers knew full well), so the elections board proposed that colleges add stickers to the cards with expiration dates and signatures. Republican lawmakers protested that the stickers would lead to — yes, voter fraud.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/opinion/the-myth-of-voter-fraud.html

The Supreme Court upheld Indiana's voter ID law. Many states are enacting much more restrictive voter ID laws...laws that are designed to favor one party over the other. Take Texas, for example, where a gun permit is an accepted form of ID, but a student ID isn't.

The SCOTUS ruling left open challenges to its ruling if someone is able to prove disenfranchisement...like this lady.

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID

Incorrect.

Additionally,
A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and cannot present other identification may vote a provisional ballot. A voter who does not present a voter registration certificate and whose name is not on the list of registered voters may vote a provisional ballot.
so, even without ID, and without being on the registration list, they can still vote.

The Texas voter ID law hasn't gone into effect yet...it is being reviewed by the Justice Department, thankfully. (That's what happens in those "Jim Crow" states that have, historically, tried to disenfranchise black voters.)

Under Texas' voter identification law, voters will be required to show government-issued identification to cast ballots.

Acceptable forms of ID include: a Texas driver's license; a personal ID issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety; an election certificate, which is a new form of state photo identification created by the legislation; a U.S. military ID card; a U.S. passport; or a Texas concealed handgun permit. State university IDs are not acceptable.​

Now, why would Texas change their voter ID laws? It couldn't possibly be that gun owners are overwhelmingly more likely to vote for a Republican, right? Nah, they can't be it...Oh, and Texas exempted people born before 1934...Funny that John McCain won that "over 65" age group by a large margin in Texas. That couldn't possibly be why Texas would exempt them from having to provide IDs though, right? :rolleyes:

You can still "vote" provisionally without an ID, but it won't be counted if you can't produce it.

The "up" side to all of this is that these laws are driving more and more people to register to vote by mail. Now THAT is a true cost saver...

BillHop
If in making a determination under this subsection
the election officer determines under standards adopted by the
secretary of state that the voter's name on the documentation is
substantially similar to but does not match exactly with the name on
the list, the voter shall be accepted for voting under Subsection
(d) if the voter submits an affidavit stating that the voter is the
person on the list of registered voters.
takes care of the Chattanooga type stuff.

I agree that a college ID (picture) should be acceptable. However, since it is not a state or federally issued ID, I can understand it not being accepted.

Point being, in all these new voter ID laws, there are provisions for free ID's, provisional ballots are easily cast, etc. NO ONE is prevented from voting because they do not have the required ID with them when they go to vote.

I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

Incorrect.

Additionally,

BillHop

I agree that a college ID (picture) should be acceptable. However, since it is not a state or federally issued ID, I can understand it not being accepted.

Point being, in all these new voter ID laws, there are provisions for free ID's, provisional ballots are easily cast, etc. NO ONE is prevented from voting because they do not have the required ID with them when they go to vote.

If their vote isn't counted because they couldn't get the photo ID then they didn't actually get to vote. You can't tell me it isn't partisan shenanigans when a concealed carry permit is acceptable ID and a State University student ID is not. Why are people born before 1934 exempted from the ID requirement? Old people can be illegal too you know. It couldn't possibly be because in Texas, people over 65 vote Republican can it?

Like I said, if these laws push more people to Vote by Mail...good. It's cheaper, easier to manage and each and every signature is verified. Let's go ALL vote by mail!

I always produce my ID when registering to vote at the polling place......always drawing the ire and anger of the liberals "running" the poll. Liberals opposed to voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote. That's a broad-brush position if you ask me. Nevertheless, how come such a lax ID authentication position is not taken by liberals when it comes to banking, utilities, library privileges, school registration, social services?

If 2000 taught us anything it is that voter authentication and integrity need to be preserved. But, then again, Liberals loved the hanging chad vulnerability so that they could have another crack at conjuring up fraud and voter opporession in Democratic strongholds such as Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm.

There's so much bullshit in this post I don't know where to begin.

1) You don't "register" to vote at the polling place.

2) Nobody argues that you shouldn't have to produce an ID to register, only to actually vote.

3) Hanging chads have nothing to do with producing an ID to vote.

4) "Liberals" are absolutely right in their "voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote".

5) I seriously doubt that anyone really became irked that you produced an ID to vote unless you made some smart assed comment along with it.

2) Nobody argues that you shouldn't have to produce an ID to register, only to actually vote.

4) "Liberals" are absolutely right in their "voter ID claim that blacks, latinos, and elderly are less likely to have ID and will therefore, not be able to vote".

5) I seriously doubt that anyone really became irked that you produced an ID to vote unless you made some smart assed comment along with it.
If they are here illegally, they should not be voting.

And, funny thing is about all the hysterics about laws trying to ensure that only citizens vote is that Indiana, who enacted ID rules, had a larger turnout of voters in the last election.

Hmmmm.

Tantamount, as you know, means "equal to". How does paying for an identification "equal to" paying to vote?

Convicted Felons pay for their drivers licenses yet they can't vote.
Underage H.S. kids pay for an I.D. yet can't vote.

A kid gets his D/L and pays for it at 16 yet can't vote. 2 years later he can use that same D/L to provide I.D. to vote. Is that "tantamount" to paying to vote?

Hint: You're confusing paying for administrative costs of identification with a "poll tax".

if you cannot vote without the ID, and you have to pay for the ID, then you have to pay to vote.
But you're not paying to vote, you're paying for the ID. Some people get it and never vote, like my Uncle who says; "The less them fuckers know about me the better!" :lol:

If they made you buy the ID at the poll in order to vote then you'd have a point.

They ask for my ID when I buy alcohol, does that mean they're making me pay to buy alcohol? Isn't paying for the alcohol enough? Now I have to pay for the privilege of buying alcohol? :confused:

it's your choice to be obtuse to the point of stupidity in this matter

good luck with it; i've got to sort my sock drawer.

The Issue is Voter Fraud, not Feelings.

If you present yourself to register to vote and you are not already in possession of a photo ID such as a driver's license, passport, or student ID, you should still be required to present one and thus be denied registration until you can produce one. People who do not already possess a photo ID but wish to register to vote should be able to obtain a FREE photo ID from the State Registry for the sole purpose of voter registration identification so there is no financial obstacle to registration... Given that everyone would now have equal access to voter registration, there should be no problem requiring the presentation of said ID at the voting booth on election day.

Oh, it absolutely is....it is unconstitutional to make people pay to vote.
How are they being made to pay to vote?

if they have to pay for an ID it is tantamount to having to pay to vote.

Yet there is also the discussion under Congress about individuals who will have to pay to have undergone a background check to create a personal ID, that allows them the Constitutional right to carry fire arms across state lines. If this complaint of "paying" in this case is to be used as a means to provide proof of WHO you are, as a way to eliminate voter fraud, what's the REAL issue liberals are afraid of? Honest elections?

Last edited:

BillHop

If their vote isn't counted because they couldn't get the photo ID then they didn't actually get to vote. You can't tell me it isn't partisan shenanigans when a concealed carry permit is acceptable ID and a State University student ID is not. Why are people born before 1934 exempted from the ID requirement? Old people can be illegal too you know. It couldn't possibly be because in Texas, people over 65 vote Republican can it?

Like I said, if these laws push more people to Vote by Mail...good. It's cheaper, easier to manage and each and every signature is verified. Let's go ALL vote by mail!

what part of 'a provisional ballot may be cast, even without ID, and even without being listed on the voter registration rolls' did you miss?

The post office is about to cut it's processing workforce in half. Do you really want to temp fate about your ballot arriving on time to be counted? Also, since mailing costs money, that would be akin to a 'poll tax', which I know you are against.

Not only is there not ‘a lot’ of fraud in elections, cases of fraud are statistically non-existent:

[L]aw enforcement statistics, reports from elections officials and widespread research have proved that voter fraud at the polling place is virtually non-existent. The motivation for ginning up this bogeyman is often to intimidate certain groups of voters and, ultimately, make it harder for minority or disadvantaged groups to exercise their right to vote. It is no accident that these operations have repeatedly focused on minority communities.

Opinion: Voter fraud hysteria - Tova Andrea Wang - POLITICO.com

If voting fraud is nonexistant then what would be the purpose in ACORN trying so hard to come up with fraud voter registration cards in Nevada, including Micky Mouse and the Dallas Cowboy team rouster? Any thoughts on the purpose behind the effort of that operation?

» ACORN in Court for Voter Registration Scandal in Nevada on Wednesday

I'm sure there are those that believe, that there is THE perfect system in place that prevents any chance in counterfit dollars as well. In fact the sheer thought of worthless paper bills floating around the country just happens to be statistically non existent, and no need of any real concern to make sure that all possible measures are always looked into and taken. Right?

Last edited:
Supreme Court upholds voter ID law - politics - msnbc.com

Just curious how many knew that the Supreme Court ruled that Voter ID was Constitutional?

Key:

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to the poor and allows voters who lack photo ID to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or otherwise attest to their identity.

But NAACP says the ID is supressing black and Hispanic voters. Why do they not care about everyone if that is the case? NAACP is so discriminatory! What would happen if we had NAAWP?

The Issue is Voter Fraud, not Feelings.

Huh!!?? Where did THAT come from? :cuckoo:

Anyway.......No problem since there is NO voter fraud going on anywhere and I posted FACTS, not feelings in my post.

If you present yourself to register to vote and you are not already in possession of a photo ID such as a driver's license, passport, or student ID, you should still be required to present one and thus be denied registration until you can produce one. People who do not already possess a photo ID but wish to register to vote should be able to obtain a FREE photo ID from the State Registry for the sole purpose of voter registration identification so there is no financial obstacle to registration... Given that everyone would now have equal access to voter registration, there should be no problem requiring the presentation of said ID at the voting booth on election day.
I totally agree, except that the IDs need to be state-issued. And, the ID must be free, as you said.

I'm curious, do poor people also get "free" cab rides to the voting station? Why is it that you need a photo ID to enter a courthouse, to pick up your mail, etc, but when it comes to voting, then libs raise holy hell?

Where I live, you cannot even buy sudafed without a photo ID.

New Topics

Forum List

Back