How long does the average poster continue to post on a message board?

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
I wonder if anyone had compiled stats on how long the average person stays interested in a message board? I wonder if number of posts per day is related to length of time one remains a member?

I've been here long enough to see some people come and go, others take extended breaks, still others post regularly for years.

What do you think? What keeps you coming back and what makes you lose interest? How long do you expect to stay?

I think it boils down to how one's OCD is managed. LOL

I viewed little and posted nothing for most of December and January...

I missed the discussions and the people but I needed a break from the politics. Most of the viewing I did was in General Discussion and Flame Zone.

Looking for work was draining and a convenient excuse to be under the radar but it was not unpredictable that my break occurred between the election and the inauguration.

-Joe

I viewed little and posted nothing for most of December and January...

I missed the discussions and the people but I needed a break from the politics. Most of the viewing I did was in General Discussion and Flame Zone.

Looking for work was draining and a convenient excuse to be under the radar but it was not unpredictable that my break occurred between the election and the inauguration.

-Joe

Well, it's good to have you back, joe. You were missed. You should have told us. ;)

Sometimes there's nothing to say and people get so cranky. especially this time of year. Hope your new job is working out.

For me, it's all about the quality of people. I frequented one of the largest video gaming message communities for a long time, but as I got older, the new arrivals got younger and younger. Eventually I had to stop going because you couldn't carry on a decent conversation without being interrupted by nonsense.

Unfortunately, that seems to be occurring here too, and not with younger members either.

I wonder if anyone had compiled stats on how long the average person stays interested in a message board? I wonder if number of posts per day is related to length of time one remains a member?

I've been here long enough to see some people come and go, others take extended breaks, still others post regularly for years.

What do you think? What keeps you coming back and what makes you lose interest? How long do you expect to stay?

I frequent a message board until they either close, I get banned, or I get bored with people flinging insults instead of actually discussing things.
I tend more towards smaller message boards than this one, but so for, this place seems ok.

There are no stats I am aware of. I am sure the data exists, but it would require a LOT of sifting.

I think number if posts per day is more related to how much time one has on a message board. For instance, I've hit 50 on days when the weather kept me inside, I wasn't at work, and had nothing else to do or just didn't feel like doing anything else.

Then there are days when I spend so much time dealing with members I'm lucky to get 10.

I think a lot has to do with moderation. If the staff is politically one-sided, the political opposition won't stay for too long. I've experienced and seen that on a couple of boards.

I'd say the ones that stay for years are not one-dimensional people. They can interact on more than just the political rhetoric level.

I'm not sure there is a specific formula though. Some people like to board-hop and others like to stay in one place. Some take breaks because they get tired of it, others take breaks because real life demands it.

How long will I stay? When I die, this board will automatically self-destruct.:lol:

I'll probably stay until I start college or join the Marine Corps or get fired from my job and don't have internet access all day. :tongue:

It all depends.. I was an admin of a board for close to 4 years.... and posted there for a year after I stepped down

Left a few other boards because of their refusal to clamp down on trolls..

I'll probably continue posting pretty regularly here, until I get the design/ruleset/ect finished up for the board I will be creating... then post occasonally

ight, I'll buy you a big movado clock you can wear around your neck for the next pix :)

I think the last place I left I'd probably posted well over 100,000 posts in about seven years. Those posts tended to be more content laden than here because the audience tended to be more interested in details than flaming.

I cannot say for sure the number, because it had a meltdown and lost records of years of posting.

But after a years of conversing every day, we knew each other so well we could have written each other's posts.

I have to admit I miss those folks, personally though. Many of us met FTF occassionally. One guy came to visit me from Atlanta for a week, one person became an integral part of the Volunteers to Rosetta and we still work together regularly.

When I left I'd racked up maybe 40,000 posts since the great meltdown.

Hopefully soon I'll find some position appropriate to my talents and I'll become something less than the obsessive posting fool, I am here today.

That or I'll get the funding Rosetta needs and I'll be too busy turning Rosetta into that site I know it must eventually become to be able to text to you folks daily.

So essantially in the last ten years or so I've haunted three boards, one died after about three years, and most of us migrated to another where I stayed for about 7 years, I think.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but this is the third board I've been on and the other two were destroyed by hostile forces.

This is like my fourth.

One went on the auction block (politics.com) the guy was asking a million+ for the name.

One died a natural death when the owner went into the service.

The third I still post at.

I posted at my last forum for over 4 years, with varying degrees of activity depending on what was going on in my life and how bored I was at work. I only left when I found a forum that didn't include some aspects of that forum, that had ALWAYS been an annoyance (like the word filter and overactive moderators).

Forum List

Back