How long does the average poster continue to post on a message board?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anguille, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    I wonder if anyone had compiled stats on how long the average person stays interested in a message board? I wonder if number of posts per day is related to length of time one remains a member?

I've been here long enough to see some people come and go, others take extended breaks, still others post regularly for years.

What do you think? What keeps you coming back and what makes you lose interest? How long do you expect to stay?

2. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I think it boils down to how one's OCD is managed. LOL

3. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I viewed little and posted nothing for most of December and January...

I missed the discussions and the people but I needed a break from the politics. Most of the viewing I did was in General Discussion and Flame Zone.

Looking for work was draining and a convenient excuse to be under the radar but it was not unpredictable that my break occurred between the election and the inauguration.

-Joe

4. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Well, it's good to have you back, joe. You were missed. You should have told us. ;)

Sometimes there's nothing to say and people get so cranky. especially this time of year. Hope your new job is working out.

5. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    For me, it's all about the quality of people. I frequented one of the largest video gaming message communities for a long time, but as I got older, the new arrivals got younger and younger. Eventually I had to stop going because you couldn't carry on a decent conversation without being interrupted by nonsense.

Unfortunately, that seems to be occurring here too, and not with younger members either.

6. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I frequent a message board until they either close, I get banned, or I get bored with people flinging insults instead of actually discussing things.
    I tend more towards smaller message boards than this one, but so for, this place seems ok.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    There are no stats I am aware of. I am sure the data exists, but it would require a LOT of sifting.

I think number if posts per day is more related to how much time one has on a message board. For instance, I've hit 50 on days when the weather kept me inside, I wasn't at work, and had nothing else to do or just didn't feel like doing anything else.

Then there are days when I spend so much time dealing with members I'm lucky to get 10.

I think a lot has to do with moderation. If the staff is politically one-sided, the political opposition won't stay for too long. I've experienced and seen that on a couple of boards.

I'd say the ones that stay for years are not one-dimensional people. They can interact on more than just the political rhetoric level.

I'm not sure there is a specific formula though. Some people like to board-hop and others like to stay in one place. Some take breaks because they get tired of it, others take breaks because real life demands it.

How long will I stay? When I die, this board will automatically self-destruct.:lol:

8. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I'll probably stay until I start college or join the Marine Corps or get fired from my job and don't have internet access all day. :tongue:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    trying to pretend to be black to pick up white men now ? :lol:

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Totally. I'm of the meds and back to posting 23/7. I mean 24/7.