How long do we actually have?

We have until a big effing asteroid comes and cleans our clock. Mankind can fix almost anything he does provided he does so before it has completely disappeared (think rain forests, once they're gone, they're gone) but unless mankind really spends some time and money to develop a asteroid defense system we are living on borrowed time.
We can fix pretty much anything. Of course, we're just as capable--if not more so--of creating nasty problems that might require more brain power than we have to fix. As far as defending ourselves from an asteroid en route to destroy us, I sincerely hope there's some ultra-secret work going on that they're not telling us about. Because, right now, I think we're just floating around like a loose pool ball waiting to be shot into the corner pocket. At least we'll see it coming...maybe.
To Protect Earth from Killer Asteroids Humanity Must Take the Long View
:popcorn:
Sadly, there isn't. Instead they piss away valuable resources trying to lower the global temp by one degree as if that is somehow going to change anything.

The quality of your risk analysis leaves a GREAT deal to be desired. How about massive volcanoes. Worried about those? Terrorists with nuke weapons? Worried about that? Getting hit by a bus as you cross the street? Falling into an abandoned well? Being inadvertently poisoned by mislabeled arsenic? All are more likely to happen within your lifetime.

But when a asteroid 150 feet wide does hit and believe me the chances are probably higher then we care to admit. Well, thousands if not tens of thousands of people could die. 100-500 feet rocks are common the past decade between earth and its moon.

Why shouldn't we use resources to defend our planet??? The chances for a 500-1000 footer probably hits once every 5 to 10,000 years. One of these could wipe out a city and have a large impact on our planets climate.

Why shouldn't we worry,,,,certainly, I think we should care about the super volcanos, nukes and terrorist!!! But, I think there's less chance of a nuclear detention or super volcanos occurring during our live times then a asteroid.

I agree with Westwall,,,,Our main focus in space outside of keeping up our satellite information network is of course asteroid defense.

Europa, Ganymede, etc has 10 times as much fresh water then our planet has.

The asteroid built has unimaginable metals for us to use!!!!

What kind of resources do you think we're running out of that our solar system couldn't give to us?

Kidding, right?

We have until a big effing asteroid comes and cleans our clock. Mankind can fix almost anything he does provided he does so before it has completely disappeared (think rain forests, once they're gone, they're gone) but unless mankind really spends some time and money to develop a asteroid defense system we are living on borrowed time.
We can fix pretty much anything. Of course, we're just as capable--if not more so--of creating nasty problems that might require more brain power than we have to fix. As far as defending ourselves from an asteroid en route to destroy us, I sincerely hope there's some ultra-secret work going on that they're not telling us about. Because, right now, I think we're just floating around like a loose pool ball waiting to be shot into the corner pocket. At least we'll see it coming...maybe.

Sadly, there isn't. Instead they piss away valuable resources trying to lower the global temp by one degree as if that is somehow going to change anything.

There have been quite a few viable ideas that have been floated around regarding the danger of NEOs. Some seem like very viable options. The problem is funding. Our government (and others) piss away money on things like needless wars while our planet remains vulnerable to outside threats.
War spawns innovation. God has a dark sense of humor.
While we wait for protection from a giant rock, there may well be a giant population shift if things continue as they have. The bank is almost empty--and there's no federal bailout to save it from failing.
California has about one year of water stored. Will you ration now - LA Times

CA can finally buy themselves some desal plants. Santa Barbara had one then when the last drought ended they sold the damned thing. Politicians, truly some of the stupidest creatures on Earth.

I don't know what "desal" is but my bet is that you can't drink it.

I agree with Westwall,,,,Our main focus in space outside of keeping up our satellite information network is of course asteroid defense.

Europa, Ganymede, etc has 10 times as much fresh water then our planet has.

The asteroid built has unimaginable metals for us to use!!!!

What kind of resources do you think we're running out of that our solar system couldn't give to us?

Kidding, right?

What is your opinion into this?

The quality of your risk analysis leaves a GREAT deal to be desired. How about massive volcanoes. Worried about those? Terrorists with nuke weapons? Worried about that? Getting hit by a bus as you cross the street? Falling into an abandoned well? Being inadvertently poisoned by mislabeled arsenic? All are more likely to happen within your lifetime.

Nope. There's not a damned thing we can do about a mega volcano other than pick up the pieces. We CAN prevent an asteroid strike from occurring. And that is a far worse disaster than ANY you list. Terrorist with a nuke? If your buddy Obama wasn't trying so hard to get a nuke into the hands of the Iranians I wouldn't have anything to worry about on that score... I look both ways so the bus is not a problem though I can see how you would step in front of one. Falling down a well? Get real, only children and critters fall in those. "Mislabeled" arsenic? You're watching too many CSI episodes dude. Here's a hint...they're not real.

So, no...my risk assessment is quite good thank you very much.

There have been quite a few viable ideas that have been floated around regarding the danger of NEOs. Some seem like very viable options. The problem is funding. Our government (and others) piss away money on things like needless wars while our planet remains vulnerable to outside threats.
War spawns innovation. God has a dark sense of humor.
While we wait for protection from a giant rock, there may well be a giant population shift if things continue as they have. The bank is almost empty--and there's no federal bailout to save it from failing.
California has about one year of water stored. Will you ration now - LA Times

CA can finally buy themselves some desal plants. Santa Barbara had one then when the last drought ended they sold the damned thing. Politicians, truly some of the stupidest creatures on Earth.

I don't know what "desal" is but my bet is that you can't drink it.

I thought you were supposed to be educated? Desal, is short for desalination plant, and yes, you can most certainly drink the water.

Given the way we're using resources in areas never meant to be as populated as they are here out west, I wonder just how long we have until something gives for real. :dunno:
Inside the Power Plant Fueling America s Drought Navajo Generating Station - Killing the Colorado - ProPublica

I really hate to wade thru ProPublica hysteria ever since they tried to punk me on gaslands.. Here they are blaming a power plant for nasty water use Policies. Just like leftists love to blame guns for violent criminal criminals. BUT they have a point. At some point, some authority or mob violence will have to Iinform cities like Tucson Phoenix Vegas that they CANNOT draw more water out of the Colorado. At that point, investors can decide if water pipelines from coastal desal plants make any sense. Or pipelines from other far away sources..

If you can transport oil from Canada to the gulf economically, perhaps that the water Iinfrastructure that is needed. Hey if Propubichair is worried about the oceans rising, lets empty them a bit....

You do not have to worry as in 500 million years from now the sun will be so bright and so hot that life on this planet will start to die off, in 1.2 Billion years the sun will be so hot and so bright and much larger than it is now, that most life will be gone from this planet.

So do not worry the Earth will meet with a fiery end before we become a lifeless ball of ice.

Nope. There's not a damned thing we can do about a mega volcano other than pick up the pieces. We CAN prevent an asteroid strike from occurring. And that is a far worse disaster than ANY you list. Terrorist with a nuke? If your buddy Obama wasn't trying so hard to get a nuke into the hands of the Iranians I wouldn't have anything to worry about on that score... I look both ways so the bus is not a problem though I can see how you would step in front of one. Falling down a well? Get real, only children and critters fall in those. "Mislabeled" arsenic? You're watching too many CSI episodes dude. Here's a hint...they're not real.

Your risk assessment is crap. You most certainly CAN do something about volcanoes: don't live near them, monitor them closely. Right now, we cannot prevent an asteroid strike. It looks as if you are worried about a terrorist with a nuke. Do you actually believe that less likely than an asteroid strike in your lifetime? And you do worry about buses. Very good. Now it's time to stop worrying about asteroid strikes. Time to wake up.

getting hit by a bus, no, a human has control of that at all times unless one is suicidal.

Your risk assessment is crap. You most certainly CAN do something about volcanoes: don't live near them, monitor them closely. Right now, we cannot prevent an asteroid strike. It looks as if you are worried about a terrorist with a nuke. Do you actually believe that less likely than an asteroid strike in your lifetime? And you do worry about buses. Very good. Now it's time to stop worrying about asteroid strikes. Time to wake up.

My gosh but you're a moron. A mega volcano, such as you describe will destroy everything in its path till the ash hits the ocean. If Yellowstone were to go off right now and the wind was blowing normally, most everything would die from Wyoming to the Atlantic along the path. How do you "move away from that"?

And no, I'm not worried about a terrorist with a nuke, though, like I said if your buddy Obama keeps working to get nukes into the hands of Iran, then I will have cause for concern.

No, I don't worry about buses as I made plain, why is it you progressives can never tell the truth? Why must you lie about every single thing? No, I said YOU would probably step in front of a bus. I have eyes, and a brain, so that is no concern for me.

And no, it IS time to worry about an asteroid hit. That is the only thing that can truly wipe us out. Your BS about a one degree rise in global temperature is farcical.

Time for YOU to wake up silly boy.

You do not have to worry as in 500 million years from now the sun will be so bright and so hot that life on this planet will start to die off, in 1.2 Billion years the sun will be so hot and so bright and much larger than it is now, that most life will be gone from this planet.

So do not worry the Earth will meet with a fiery end before we become a lifeless ball of ice.

Do you mean to say that after all that we still have existence as a lifeless ball of ice to look forward to?

It's not entirely unprecedented:
Dry-Roasted Planets A Sunlike Star Tried to Eat Its Young - TIME

Around it, whirling in orbits so tight they last only about 5 and 8 hours, respectively, are two planets, both a bit smaller than Earth — and both so close to their home star that even the tiniest solar expansion ought to have consumed them whole. And yet they seem, writes University of California, Santa Cruz, astronomer Eliza Kempton in a Nature commentary, "to be alive and well. Which begs the question, how did they survive?"

So, we got that going for us. :thup:

Do you mean to say that after all that we still have existence as a lifeless ball of ice to look forward to?

Around it, whirling in orbits so tight they last only about 5 and 8 hours, respectively, are two planets, both a bit smaller than Earth — and both so close to their home star that even the tiniest solar expansion ought to have consumed them whole. And yet they seem, writes University of California, Santa Cruz, astronomer Eliza Kempton in a Nature commentary, "to be alive and well. Which begs the question, how did they survive?"

It does not matter what humans do as the end of life on this planet is going to end. The focus should be finding a new home and starting a life there outside of this solar system.

There are many theories if the Earth will survive the red giant phase of the sun. If the Earth does survive in the end it will become a lifeless ball of ice, circling a dwarf star..

It does not matter what humans do as the end of life on this planet is going to end. The focus should be finding a new home and starting a life there outside of this solar system.

There are many theories if the Earth will survive the red giant phase of the sun. If the Earth does survive in the end it will become a lifeless ball of ice, circling a dwarf star..
I think humanity will have won the Lotto if it survives another thousand years. So if we do survive a while longer, but never make it off this rock as a species and don't settle somewhere else before the Sun eats the Earth (and every other planet in the solar system), we'll still have done just fine. :D

I think humanity will have won the Lotto if it survives another thousand years. So if we do survive a while longer, but never make it off this rock as a species and don't settle somewhere else before the Sun eats the Earth (and every other planet in the solar system), we'll still have done just fine. :D

Mankind will still be here 1000 years from now. How he is existing is the question. Matthew is correct though, we need to get off this rock and out into space. That ensures our survival and will encourage ever more technological development.

Humans will still exist to a certain degree in a 1000 years, even if Yellowstone finally delivers.

There are some scenarios that would cause all life to be wiped out, but they are just as remote as humans controlling the climate with CO2..

Forum List

Back