How long do we actually have?

We have until a big effing asteroid comes and cleans our clock. Mankind can fix almost anything he does provided he does so before it has completely disappeared (think rain forests, once they're gone, they're gone) but unless mankind really spends some time and money to develop a asteroid defense system we are living on borrowed time.

We have until a big effing asteroid comes and cleans our clock. Mankind can fix almost anything he does provided he does so before it has completely disappeared (think rain forests, once they're gone, they're gone) but unless mankind really spends some time and money to develop a asteroid defense system we are living on borrowed time.
We can fix pretty much anything. Of course, we're just as capable--if not more so--of creating nasty problems that might require more brain power than we have to fix. As far as defending ourselves from an asteroid en route to destroy us, I sincerely hope there's some ultra-secret work going on that they're not telling us about. Because, right now, I think we're just floating around like a loose pool ball waiting to be shot into the corner pocket. At least we'll see it coming...maybe.
To Protect Earth from Killer Asteroids Humanity Must Take the Long View
:popcorn:

We can fix pretty much anything. Of course, we're just as capable--if not more so--of creating nasty problems that might require more brain power than we have to fix. As far as defending ourselves from an asteroid en route to destroy us, I sincerely hope there's some ultra-secret work going on that they're not telling us about. Because, right now, I think we're just floating around like a loose pool ball waiting to be shot into the corner pocket. At least we'll see it coming...maybe.

Sadly, there isn't. Instead they piss away valuable resources trying to lower the global temp by one degree as if that is somehow going to change anything.

Given the way we're using resources in areas never meant to be as populated as they are here out west, I wonder just how long we have until something gives for real. :dunno:
Inside the Power Plant Fueling America s Drought Navajo Generating Station - Killing the Colorado - ProPublica
"Never meant" by whom?
I don't know by whom, but, given the nature of a desert, I'd have to say "By what?" is a more appropriate question. You can't blame a desert for being a desert. As they say.

I agree with Westwall,,,,Our main focus in space outside of keeping up our satellite information network is of course asteroid defense.

Europa, Ganymede, etc has 10 times as much fresh water then our planet has.

The asteroid built has unimaginable metals for us to use!!!!

What kind of resources do you think we're running out of that our solar system couldn't give to us?

Sadly, there isn't. Instead they piss away valuable resources trying to lower the global temp by one degree as if that is somehow going to change anything.
Now, if we could fix that I think we'd be well on our way to a happy future. Ah well, it doesn't hurt to dream. :thup:

I agree with Westwall,,,,Our main focus in space outside of keeping up our satellite information network is of course asteroid defense.

Europa, Ganymede, etc has 10 times as much fresh water then our planet has.

The asteroid built has unimaginable metals for us to use!!!!

What kind of resources do you think we're running out of that our solar system couldn't give to us?
True, there are immense resources available out there. Unfortunately for us, water isn't one of them--at least not water we can make use of. :(
NASA - Astronomers Find Largest Most Distant Reservoir of Water

There have been quite a few viable ideas that have been floated around regarding the danger of NEOs. Some seem like very viable options. The problem is funding. Our government (and others) piss away money on things like needless wars while our planet remains vulnerable to outside threats.

Its the mistaken belief that "we can fix anything" that will ultimately be our downfall.

The deniers don't believe scientists and yet depend on science to save them.

I've seen this same attitude with smokers. They don't believe the research that says they'll get cancer but runs to science to save them when they do.

:cuckoo:

There have been quite a few viable ideas that have been floated around regarding the danger of NEOs. Some seem like very viable options. The problem is funding. Our government (and others) piss away money on things like needless wars while our planet remains vulnerable to outside threats.

We should make Asteroid defense part of defense. Put the Space command on the job of doing so...Give it a 50 billion per year budget and the resources of the navy, airforce and army.

Its the mistaken belief that "we can fix anything" that will ultimately be our downfall.

The deniers don't believe scientists and yet depend on science to save them.

I've seen this same attitude with smokers. They don't believe the research that says they'll get cancer but runs to science to save them when they do.

:cuckoo:

I told you one thing that can't be fixed if it gets too far gone. Name us some others.

War spawns innovation. God has a dark sense of humor.
While we wait for protection from a giant rock, there may well be a giant population shift if things continue as they have. The bank is almost empty--and there's no federal bailout to save it from failing.
California has about one year of water stored. Will you ration now - LA Times

While we wait for protection from a giant rock, there may well be a giant population shift if things continue as they have. The bank is almost empty--and there's no federal bailout to save it from failing.

CA can finally buy themselves some desal plants. Santa Barbara had one then when the last drought ended they sold the damned thing. Politicians, truly some of the stupidest creatures on Earth.

Given the way we're using resources in areas never meant to be as populated as they are here out west, I wonder just how long we have until something gives for real. :dunno:
Inside the Power Plant Fueling America s Drought Navajo Generating Station - Killing the Colorado - ProPublica
Well, California may not have to worry about it when the next big earthquake hits. In addition, California has over-population issues, especially illegal immigrants. Between the earthquakes, fires, and droughts, it doesn't look good for the folks in California. Yet, some of the most expensive real estate in the nation is in California. My guess is that they have no more than 20 years before something big and major happens.

CA can finally buy themselves some desal plants. Santa Barbara had one then when the last drought ended they sold the damned thing. Politicians, truly some of the stupidest creatures on Earth.
One would think we would have been on the forefront of desal, given the nature of where we choose to live. Drought should be nothing more than an interesting 2nd page piece. Sadly, you're right. What should have been decided by reason ended up decided by politicians.Well, at some point, we'll be forced to do something. There'll be no choice.

Well, California may not have to worry about it when the next big earthquake hits. In addition, California has over-population issues, especially illegal immigrants. Between the earthquakes, fires, and droughts, it doesn't look good for the folks in California. Yet, some of the most expensive real estate in the nation is in California. My guess is that they have no more than 20 years before something big and major happens.
And that's the dangerous beauty of California: at any given moment we're right around the corner from absolute disaster. And yet, we wander around in dreamy bliss.
For now, water still comes out of the faucets in my house and we haven't had a big earthquake in years. We're A-Okay! :thup:

For now...:FIREdevil:

And that's the dangerous beauty of California: at any given moment we're right around the corner from absolute disaster. And yet, we wander around in dreamy bliss.
For now, water still comes out of the faucets in my house and we haven't had a big earthquake in years. We're A-Okay! :thup:

For now...:FIREdevil:
May the force be with you.

The quality of your risk analysis leaves a GREAT deal to be desired. How about massive volcanoes. Worried about those? Terrorists with nuke weapons? Worried about that? Getting hit by a bus as you cross the street? Falling into an abandoned well? Being inadvertently poisoned by mislabeled arsenic? All are more likely to happen within your lifetime.

Forum List

Back