How Is This "Misgendering"? *Resurrected

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013

Apparently some cannot get through to the link. I have no problem with it. Mod please combine with the earlier post of the same title.

Campaign flier paid for by Virginia GOP ‘misgenders’ Democratic candidate

By Faiz Siddiqui October 28 at 6:35 PM

A new campaign mailer paid for by the Republican Party of Virginia repeatedly refers to Danica Roem, a transgender woman seeking election to the state House of Delegates, as a man and accuses her of making her identity part of the race.

The fliers, authorized by Roem’s opponent for the 13th District seat, Del. Robert G. Marshall (R-Manassas), include a section titled “Danica Roem In His Own Words” and a header reading “Danica Roem, born male, has made a campaign issue out of transitioning to female.”

Marshall has repeatedly used male pronouns to refer to Roem, who is running to be the first openly transgender politician elected in Virginia.

Roem, who could not immediately be reached by phone, confirmed in an email that she had received the mailers at her home on Friday."

Campaign flier paid for by Virginia GOP ‘misgenders’ Democratic candidate

Don't know if this is on topic or not but....yesterday I had to go to ER to get xrays and lab work done on my thyroid and I had the usual papers to sign before admittance. I was almost, but not quite shocked to see a section where it asked if I was born male or female, what gender I considered myself, what first name I preferred to be called, or if I considered myself genderless. :cool-45:

You almost gotta laugh that lefties dismiss reasonable arguments about Global Warming by the right and label them "science deniers" while claiming with a straight (pardon the pun) face that a person who was born a man is really a woman simply because he claims to be. DNA isn't a theory, it is a fact and cannot be changed while it can determine identity as well as gender. You almost gotta laugh that the democrat candidate claims to be undergoing "transitioning" so apparently he still has a hairy scrotum like the rest of us. Come on lefties, if you want to run a freakazoid lay it out and let voters decide.

Being an asshole isn't going to win you anything. Why not accept that this person wishes to called be a "female". How will it hurt you?

I don't care what games people want to play, but I am under no obligation to play them as well.

Being an asshole isn't going to win you anything. Why not accept that this person wishes to called be a "female". How will it hurt you?

Trying to force sane people to play along with what they can clearly see to be an insane lie, and trying to shame them for refusing to do so, is what constitutes “being an asshole”.

As a matter of undeniable scientific fact, “Danica” Roem is a man, not a woman. There is no good reason why any sane person ought to treat Mr. Roem's insane delusions as if they are anything other than insane delusions.

Ben Shapiro has summed this issue up. He says "Just because you are deluded, doesn't mean I have to share your delusion because you call me names". You can call me a homophobe all you want, I just hate delusions. Homosexuality is a mental dysfunction, not an alternative.

Not an expert here, but doesn't DNA control how you both look and feel when it comes to your gender? So if the "how you look" part of the DNA for a person is male, and the "how you feel" part is female, I think it's legit for that person to want to be considered a female.

Especially if they undergo a public announcement or even surgery to do that. I mean, you gotta feel REALLY trapped in a weird body to want to resort to those actions. Think about how terrifying it is to privately or publicly go through with a sex change.

Not an expert here, but doesn't DNA control how you both look and feel when it comes to your gender? So if the "how you look" part of the DNA for a person is male, and the "how you feel" part is female, I think it's legit for that person to want to be considered a female.

Especially if they undergo a public announcement or even surgery to do that. I mean, you gotta feel REALLY trapped in a weird body to want to resort to those actions. Think about how terrifying it is to privately or publicly go through with a sex change.

The distinction between male and female has nothing to do with how one claims to “feel” or “identify”. It's a distinction based on objective, observable, provable biological traits. A person who has the biological traits that identify him as male, but who claims to “feel” female, is still male.

DNA might predispose people to be pedophiles, too. The so called gay gene, even if valid, dosen't validate anything. Perhaps there is a gene for shoplifting, or racism. Does it validate that behavior?

Apparently some cannot get through to the link. I have no problem with it. Mod please combine with the earlier post of the same title.

I believe that the Washington Post lets any given non-subscriber read some arbitrary number of articles in a month, and then puts up a paywall if you try to read more. My guess is that the mod who closed the other thread has reached this limit, and you have not yet.

Last edited:

The distinction between male and female has nothing to do with how one claims to “feel” or “identify”. It's a distinction based on objective, observable, provable biological traits. A person who has the biological traits that identify him as male, but who claims to “feel” female, is still male.

You're right about physically observable traits. Totally agree on that point. (although, what about intersex people?) But couldn't the way a person "feels" / "identifies" also be a biological trait that's not physically observable? If you felt like a woman in a man's body, it would be pretty harsh to be live up to the expectations of being a man every day.

But now, we're living in an age where we have the technology / social values to include a lot of individuals who were traditionally marginalize. So why not try?

I often feel like The Indisputable Ruler of the Known Universe, but if I claim to be that, the white coats will laugh and lock me up. :laugh:

You're right about physically observable traits. Totally agree on that point. (although, what about intersex people?)

Hermaphrodites and the like? Biological anomalies.

Gender is not necessarily biological.

Sex is biological, determined by chromosomal process.

"Gender" is a structural language term requisitioned to validate the idea of a fluid sexual identity defined by subjective emotional feelings.

1295180.png

Sex is biological, determined by chromosomal process.

"Gender" is a structural language term requisitioned to validate the idea of a fluid sexual identity defined by subjective emotional feelings.

Your political views are subjective. Does that make them illegitimate?

My political views are pragmatic, based upon the national agreement, and are thoroughly legitimate.

Forum List

Back