How is it possible for a grown person who has a bank account to have a OVERDRAFT ?

so, people can county on ACH automatic withdrawals happening on certain days. Well, laws recently changed where ACH withdrawals can happen at any time, so, if people don't know about these laws, and suddenly ACH withdrawals occur EARLIER than they have for the last several years, you could find yourself overdrawn.

The same could happen with a direct deposit payment. A one day delay could take someone to overdraft status.

I suggest everyone keep "padding" in their account to avoid these situations.

Also, a close monitoring of any/all checks you write. That can be killer too if you don't keep a ledger or check book

so, people can county on ACH automatic withdrawals happening on certain days. Well, laws recently changed where ACH withdrawals can happen at any time, so, if people don't know about these laws, and suddenly ACH withdrawals occur EARLIER than they have for the last several years, you could find yourself overdrawn.

The same could happen with a direct deposit payment. A one day delay could take someone to overdraft status.

Also, a close monitoring of any/all checks you write. That can be killer too if you don't keep a ledger or check book

No overdraft for me since 1999

that's great. do you owe and/or pay interest on any credit cards?

Yes. But what does that have to do with managing a bank account?

Nothing, but it does have to do with managing your money.
It's not wise either to live beyond your means.
Is paying 20% interest any better than paying an overdraft fee?

Nothing, but it does have to do with managing your money.
It's not wise either to live beyond your means.
Is paying 20% interest any better than paying an overdraft fee?

I was fired 4 years ago and had to live off my credit card for 3 months. At the time I thought you was eligible for unemployment as long as you was honest about losing your job. But I found out UC has to interview the employer and the claimiant before any money can be issued out.

I thought the only way you was not eligible for unemployment was if you QUIT

Didn't we all learn how to add and subtract when we was in school? So a grown person doesn't know how to freeze their account once it gets $10 or $11 above zero? I thought everyone knew that once they write a check that the amount in your account is FROZEN??? It's a lot of stupid people over 21 in this world if they can't stop their account from falling below $0.00

Sad Shit

Maybe they tried to pay their cable bill?

Why not post a thread entitled "How is it possible for a grown person with a job to let their cable bill go unpaid for 2 or 3 months?"

Didn't we all learn how to add and subtract when we was in school? So a grown person doesn't know how to freeze their account once it gets $10 or $11 above zero? I thought everyone knew that once they write a check that the amount in your account is FROZEN??? It's a lot of stupid people over 21 in this world if they can't stop their account from falling below $0.00

Sad Shit

they call it "common Core math" these days

Speaking of cable, I don't even have it, but I pay $100+ /mo for internet, tv, and phone?

Tell ya wut, only reason I kept the landline is that when a storm hit, they used to stay on even if power went out.

That is no longer the case. I found that out clearly, lately. :mad:

I'm looking to ditch the landline and find internet for $50 /mo.

Last edited:
Speaking of cable, I don't even have it, but I pay $100+ /mo for internet, tv, and phone?

Tell ya wut, only reason I kept the landline is that when a storm hit, they used to stay on even if power went out.

Really? Even with a phone that is not plugged in? Most people don't have landlines anymore, so who ya gonna call?

Really? Even with a phone that is not plugged in? Most people don't have landlines anymore, so who ya gonna call?

See Bonzi, back in the day, if a storm hit, and you had an old plug-in phone, it would still work, because the phone lines were separate from the power lines. Now the fiber-optic lines are powered by the electric grid.

So yeah, I'm looking for alternatives. I may even be offline for awhile.

Sad Shit

Why not post a thread entitled "How is it possible for a grown person with a job to let their cable bill go unpaid for 2 or 3 months?"

That was all on me. No excuses

Sad Shit

Because he was too busy letting his heating bill go unpaid at the same time?

Sad Shit

Well done, fbj. A stand up post. I apologize for mine.

I would delete it, but your response should stand.

Today, I don't see how any one could have overdraft charges. You can check your balance 100 times a day from your phone. Few people write checks any more. My bills are paid electronically right from the bank. I use the debit card for everything else. I write exactly one check a month, to the landlord.

Sad Shit

Well done, fbj. A stand up post. I apologize for mine.

I would delete it, but your response should stand.

I used to wait for the disconnection notice because it was cheaper. Lol. I now realize how stupid that was.

See Bonzi, back in the day, if a storm hit, and you had an old plug-in phone, it would still work, because the phone lines were separate from the power lines. Now the fiber-optic lines are powered by the electric grid.

So yeah, I'm looking for alternatives. I may even be offline for awhile.
If you are looking for cheaper, canning the phone can get you there. If you really want a phone that stays on during a power outage then your phone can do that - telephony modems generally contain slots for backup batteries that last around 48 hours and they keep your internet (and by extension) your phone running during an outage. Don't know who you have doing your service but I do know that Comcast sells their battery for their modems for $35. Not really all that much if you really are looking for that backup.

Forum List

Back