How Far Should The Majority Go?

W

wonderwench

So, quite a few people here feel that the Majority should be able to determine the private bedroom behavior of the Minority.

What is next?

- Should Vegans be forced to eat meat?

- Should non-TV watchers be forced to watch American Idol?

- Should non-drinkers be forced to guzzle Budweisers?

- Should beautiful people be forced to have plastic surgery to make them look average?

Suggested reading before responding.

HARRISON BERGERON

Originally posted by jimnyc
Too bad none of those examples sicken the American citizens.

You are completely missing the point. Freedom is about respecting the freedom of others to be different when their behavior affects only themselves. Not liking what they do in private really has no impact on you.

Originally posted by wonderwench
You are completely missing the point. Freedom is about respecting the freedom of others to be different when their behavior affects only themselves. Not liking what they do in private really has no impact on you.

Unfortunately, they left their bedrooms and brought it out into the public this year. As long as they are going public, the public themselves have a right to throw in their 2 cents. Let them stay in their bedrooms and I have no problem. Protest in the streets and demand to be married just like heterosexuals and the public will tell you how they feel.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Unfortunately, they left their bedrooms and brought it out into the public this year. As long as they are going public, the public themselves have a right to throw in their 2 cents. Let them stay in their bedrooms and I have no problem. Protest in the streets and demand to be married just like heterosexuals and the public will tell you how they feel.

I realize that mentioning Tocqueville irritates you. But denying them rights is exactly why they had to go public this way. He warned that when the Tyranny of the Majority is turned against the Minority, the only recourse the latter has is to rebel.

I realize that mentioning Tocqueville irritates you. But denying them rights is exactly why they had to go public this way. He warned that when the Tyranny of the Majority is turned against the Minority, the only recourse the latter has is to rebel.

Then they deal with those opposed to them and have to listen to the complaints. They rebel and they should expect some pushing in return.

Go to the courts and do it properly. Flaunting the law and shoving the issue in the faces of those opposed will only make matters worse.

Their behavior is sickening on both levels.

When people such as you call them vile names and claim that you'd like to see them treated like criminals - what do you expect?

So, quite a few people here feel that the Majority should be able to determine the private bedroom behavior of the Minority.

I don't advocate this. We should be allowed to be freaks in private, if not semi publicly or at least on our own property, but out in the open in plain public view.
What is next?

No. But they should be reminded often that though the mainstream media worships them for their selflessness and consideration of other specieses I still think they're full of it and their sense of self righteousness is really not warranted. It's a reality checking service.

No. but they should be reminded often that their cavalier "cocktail party superior" dismissal all all things "reality" is not shared by all, and that thoughful analysis of the the genre and it's success is a source of knowledge and not triviality.
At my party? Hell yeah!
- Should beautiful people be forced to have plastic surgery to make them look average?
No. Beauty rocks.

HARRISON BERGERON

This is definitely a great story. My defense of the lowbrow is my defense of the popular against elitist tastes of well, the elite. The elitists who wish to stifle the success of popular genres with the excessive weights and baggage of their criticism. I don't advocate legally mandated viewing though.;) :D

Should the Majority force RWA to give up Soylent Beige?

:D

What is next?

HARRISON BERGERON

First, as has been said, no one is advocating criminalizing homosexuality. Do it in your bedrooms, and keep it in your bedrooms. Once you start bringing homosexuality into the public forum, you can expect to get people's reactions.
Second, this whole "equal rights" thing is a farce. Every homosexual man has the right to marry any woman they want - just like any other man. And every lesbian has the right to marry any man they want - just like any other woman. To allow someone to marry a person of the same sex because of a choice they made in their sexual behavior is unnecessary - and bad U.S. policy.

Thanks for playing - but you got it wrong again.

What is next?

HARRISON BERGERON
Thats why we vote, welcome to America.

Does keeping marriage between one man and one woman prevent others from behaving as the wish in their bedrooms?

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Does keeping marriage between one man and one woman prevent others from behaving as the wish in their bedrooms?

It is not about sex - it is about legal protection.

It is not about sex - it is about legal protection.
Wonderwench, I used your exact words "be able to determine the private bedroom behavior", again how does keeping marriage between one man and one woman stop private bedroom behavior(your words)?

The moral opposition to homosexual bedroom behavior is used to deny them the same access to contractually protected relationships that heterosexuals enjoy.

Gay marriage / civil unions is not about seeking state permission to have sex - it is about sharing rights and responsibilities.

I just want marriage to be between one man and one woman. That does not take away from others rights.
If other people wish to have homosexual relations in their home, fine. If they want a contractually recognized union fine. I just believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.

Forum List

Back