How Far Should The Majority Go?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wonderwench, Mar 17, 2004.

1. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So, quite a few people here feel that the Majority should be able to determine the private bedroom behavior of the Minority.

What is next?

- Should Vegans be forced to eat meat?

- Should non-TV watchers be forced to watch American Idol?

- Should non-drinkers be forced to guzzle Budweisers?

- Should beautiful people be forced to have plastic surgery to make them look average?

Suggested reading before responding.

HARRISON BERGERON

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Too bad none of those examples sicken the American citizens.

3. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think Liberals should be sterilized :)

4. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You are completely missing the point. Freedom is about respecting the freedom of others to be different when their behavior affects only themselves. Not liking what they do in private really has no impact on you.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Unfortunately, they left their bedrooms and brought it out into the public this year. As long as they are going public, the public themselves have a right to throw in their 2 cents. Let them stay in their bedrooms and I have no problem. Protest in the streets and demand to be married just like heterosexuals and the public will tell you how they feel.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    try that again?

7. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I realize that mentioning Tocqueville irritates you. But denying them rights is exactly why they had to go public this way. He warned that when the Tyranny of the Majority is turned against the Minority, the only recourse the latter has is to rebel.

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Then they deal with those opposed to them and have to listen to the complaints. They rebel and they should expect some pushing in return.

Go to the courts and do it properly. Flaunting the law and shoving the issue in the faces of those opposed will only make matters worse.

Their behavior is sickening on both levels.

9. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    When people such as you call them vile names and claim that you'd like to see them treated like criminals - what do you expect?

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

I don't advocate this. We should be allowed to be freaks in private, if not semi publicly or at least on our own property, but out in the open in plain public view.
    No. But they should be reminded often that though the mainstream media worships them for their selflessness and consideration of other specieses I still think they're full of it and their sense of self righteousness is really not warranted. It's a reality checking service.
    No. but they should be reminded often that their cavalier "cocktail party superior" dismissal all all things "reality" is not shared by all, and that thoughful analysis of the the genre and it's success is a source of knowledge and not triviality.
    At my party? Hell yeah!
    No. Beauty rocks.

This is definitely a great story. My defense of the lowbrow is my defense of the popular against elitist tastes of well, the elite. The elitists who wish to stifle the success of popular genres with the excessive weights and baggage of their criticism. I don't advocate legally mandated viewing though.;) :D