How far have we fallen?

Well eventually we will out grow the Earth so if we could teraform Mars we would have another planet to live on. Another good point is that we may find elements that we don't have on the Earth and could be very usefull like Hydrogen 3.

If we out grow earth, we're fucked. Terra forming is nothing more than a dream. No one even knows if it's viable.

We better take care of what we have, because space is nowhere for a human being to be.

Actually ... with technology where it is now, sure it's a dream ... but dreams brought us computers and robotics. It's not that we just can't do it, but the fact that people stopped dreaming. If we ever did find a way to make long term colonization possible, Mars would be a possible goal, unlike our moon Luna, there are resources there that would be possible to mine for not only use here, but to fuel the return trip. Which oddly makes Mars cost effective, but time to get there and back is a problem, a huge one, right now, and I don't see us progressing far enough to eliminate that anytime soon.

KK I think I have seen what you are talking about......The idea is to send an unmaned mars lander that will start producing fuel and will have a habitat unit. I think each time they send another manned mission they leave behind modules for living space. If we could plant leafy green plants at the polar region it would attract more light and heat and melt the CO2 ice and create an atmosphere. At least that is how the possibility of tera forming goes. Would it take hundreds of years YES but we can start now or start later.....I vote for NOW!

I was just SO happy when Kennedy called for a moon landing within the decade.....WE DID IT unless you are one of the few fools who think it was staged. I want to be that proud again. If we can put a man or woman on Mars it would spark the creative GENIUS that spurs all sorts of developments not only for space exploration but in may other fields as well.

Well eventually we will out grow the Earth so if we could teraform Mars we would have another planet to live on. Another good point is that we may find elements that we don't have on the Earth and could be very usefull like Hydrogen 3.

If we out grow earth, we're fucked. Terra forming is nothing more than a dream. No one even knows if it's viable.

We better take care of what we have, because space is nowhere for a human being to be.

Actually ... with technology where it is now, sure it's a dream ... but dreams brought us computers and robotics. It's not that we just can't do it, but the fact that people stopped dreaming. If we ever did find a way to make long term colonization possible, Mars would be a possible goal, unlike our moon Luna, there are resources there that would be possible to mine for not only use here, but to fuel the return trip. Which oddly makes Mars cost effective, but time to get there and back is a problem, a huge one, right now, and I don't see us progressing far enough to eliminate that anytime soon.
um, the space programs brought us computers and robotics

We could have been ferrying unmanned supply ships to the moon and beyond but we have been giving gift cards to the fat and lazy since the 60s .
Now we got a third generation of fat lazy parasites and nothing on mars or the moon.
Bad investment anyway you look at it.

2235301275_31228a4b35.jpg
I saw Bigfoot once. 1951, back in Sequoia National Park. Had a foot on him thirty-seven inches heel to toe. It made a sound I would not want to hear twice in my life.

Come on Frank.

I saw Bigfoot once. 1951, back in Sequoia National Park. Had a foot on him thirty-seven inches heel to toe. It made a sound I would not want to hear twice in my life.

Come on Frank.

I didn't take the pictures! The NASA pics are of the same region where the tower shows up in the Soviet pic!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! CAN'T YOU JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES!

I have Frank ,Ive listened to Hoagland for 10 years .
I have spend countless house staring through telescopes at the moon and stars.
I d not see what hoagland claims and cannot subscribe to his ongoing ever mutating conspiracy of silence and cover up.

Sure, there have been some products developed because of the space industry but overall, I don't think the money invested in all of this space mumbo-jumbo has in the long run really been worth it all. Just think what could have been done for mankind in other ways if the money spent on space programs had of been invested differently. Guess it all boils down to priorities. Do you feed a bunch of homeless people for a good long time or go to the museum and look at a handfull of moon rocks? Which is the most important to you? Has the space program been entirely worth it all? There has been some good from it but I think often over done too. I could care less about going to Mars. What for? Why? Seems like a big big waste of money to me. I'm not for the current health care reform being debated in Congress right now because of what it will cost the American people. No way to pay for it. Well, here's a hint. Keep the astronauts at home and there's your money for the health care deboggle. As much as I'm against it, at least keeping the space program spending at a lower amount would at least pay for it and probably have a better return on the dollar.

Other than the inspiration it has given to scientists, the benefits have been small.
Things such as:
Computer development
Computer algorithms
the study of weather patterns around the world, letting us know hurricanes in advance
Telecommunications
new composites
new alloys
a better understand of how our planet works
study of human physiology
the improvement in our military technology including
Missiles
Radar
the entire science of spectrometry
the probable locations of oil and other geological features
spying on our enemies
improvements in fuel technology
the manufacture of perfect ball bearings using alloys unaffected by gravity
I'm sure there are only another hundred thousand things I haven't thought of. Yea, what a waste of money.

Of course, the life of our planet is finite. So our other choice is go into space or die.

um, the space programs brought us computers and robotics

But someone has to dream about it first. ;) You can't invent something without that.

Sure, there have been some products developed because of the space industry but overall, I don't think the money invested in all of this space mumbo-jumbo has in the long run really been worth it all. Just think what could have been done for mankind in other ways if the money spent on space programs had of been invested differently. Guess it all boils down to priorities. Do you feed a bunch of homeless people for a good long time or go to the museum and look at a handfull of moon rocks? Which is the most important to you? Has the space program been entirely worth it all? There has been some good from it but I think often over done too. I could care less about going to Mars. What for? Why? Seems like a big big waste of money to me. I'm not for the current health care reform being debated in Congress right now because of what it will cost the American people. No way to pay for it. Well, here's a hint. Keep the astronauts at home and there's your money for the health care deboggle. As much as I'm against it, at least keeping the space program spending at a lower amount would at least pay for it and probably have a better return on the dollar.

Just think what could have been done for mankind in other ways if the money spent on space programs had of been invested differently.

You mean like the wars the neo cons got us involved in. We were better off flushing the money out into space.

Come on Frank.

I didn't take the pictures! The NASA pics are of the same region where the tower shows up in the Soviet pic!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! CAN'T YOU JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES!

The pictures show only common flaws in film for that time period ... they didn't have digital cameras back then.

What we spend on space exploration would hardly make a dent in the amount that we spend on sports, annually.

The machine you typed your post on is a direct outgrowth of the space program.

The goal was never a handfull of moonrocks. The was and is knowledge. While that may not be something that you value, most do.

The return on our dollars spent on the space program are incalcuable. From storm forecasting, to communications, the space program has more than paid it's way.

We need to get back to the moon BEFORE China does. We need to show the world that WE are still the most advanced country in the world.

Space exploration out of pure in-your-face nationalism is asking for the eventual militarization of space, IMO. We should go back to the Moon before anybody else not so we can do a neener neener, but because we've been there before and can repeat more easily than others can start from scratch.

We need to get back to the moon BEFORE China does. We need to show the world that WE are still the most advanced country in the world.

Space exploration out of pure in-your-face nationalism is asking for the eventual militarization of space, IMO. We should go back to the Moon before anybody else not so we can do a neener neener, but because we've been there before and can repeat more easily than others can start from scratch.

That's the point we CAN'T get back despite being there before. That is TOTALLY unaceptable.

Forum List

Back