Coffee

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?​
If it sounds too good to be true, think again.​
Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.​
Reducing Disease Risk

After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.​
Though the scientists give the customary "more research is needed" before they recommend you do overtime at Starbuck's to specifically prevent diabetes, their findings are very similar to those in a less-publicized Dutch study. And perhaps more importantly, it's the latest of hundreds of studies suggesting that coffee may be something of a health food -- especially in higher amounts.​
Health Benefits of Coffee - WebMD

I like drinking coffee very much. But they appear to be referring to an observational rather than an experimental study. If it's an observational study, that means cause and effect inferences cannot legitimately be made. Period. End of story.

There is a real need for education of the media so that they understand that cause and effect cannot be inferred with statistical data unless those statistical data were generated during controlled experimentation.

Coffee is good for you? What about people who measure by the pot, not the cup?
I just might live forever. ;)

Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?​
If it sounds too good to be true, think again.​
Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.​
Reducing Disease Risk

After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.​
Though the scientists give the customary "more research is needed" before they recommend you do overtime at Starbuck's to specifically prevent diabetes, their findings are very similar to those in a less-publicized Dutch study. And perhaps more importantly, it's the latest of hundreds of studies suggesting that coffee may be something of a health food -- especially in higher amounts.​

Oh my god, that cannot be correct.

But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

An example of what I'm talking about. A statement of cause and effect. The study did not show that six cups or more "caused" a risk reduction. Instead, it showed an association. It showed that people who drank six or more cups per day suffered the condition at a lower frequency than people who did not. But it did not show that the coffee drinking was the reason for it.

To do that, you'd need to get a group of experimental subjects then randomly assign some to the "treatment" of drinking coffee and others to the "control" group that would not drink coffee. If you don't do that, you can't infer cause and effect.

This thing of presenting observational studies that create the impression that cause and effect has been inferred is epidemic in our society. The educated consumer of such information should keep this in mind:

If it wasn't a controlled experiment in which some subjects were randomly assigned the "treatment" and other subjects were assigned to be "controls," cause and effect has not been established.

Coffee is good for you? What about people who measure by the pot, not the cup?
I just might live forever. ;)

Five cups or more seems to cure alzheimer's disease in mice, too...i'm gonna be golden.

Coffee may help treat memory loss, a major symptom of Alzheimer's disease - study

coffee....nectar of the gods.

:lol:

Those mice consume 5 cups a day?

I love my 2 cups of coffee in the morning but I'm jittery until noon. There is something intrinsically wrong with that. :)

• Banned
But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.
An example of what I'm talking about. A statement of cause and effect. The study did not show that six cups or more "caused" a risk reduction. Instead, it showed an association. It showed that people who drank six or more cups per day suffered the condition at a lower frequency than people who did not. But it did not show that the coffee drinking was the reason for it.

To do that, you'd need to get a group of experimental subjects then randomly assign some to the "treatment" of drinking coffee and others to the "control" group that would not drink coffee. If you don't do that, you can't infer cause and effect.

This thing of presenting observational studies that create the impression that cause and effect has been inferred is epidemic in our society. The educated consumer of such information should keep this in mind:

If it wasn't a controlled experiment in which some subjects were randomly assigned the "treatment" and other subjects were assigned to be "controls," cause and effect has not been established.

Go away, hater. This is in Food, not Science and tech or Health and Medicine :evil: If you don't want any coffee, just leave and let us have it

Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Reducing Disease Risk

After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

Well, then, I am good to go. I think it may be cause it makes me pee a lot, getting rid of toxins is kind of important

I love coffee ... so I won't debate whether it's healthy or not. But I agree with your point, that the study really doesn't show anything, none of them really do.

I look forward to my 2 times a day that I have coffe, morning and evening. I drink 6 cups per day. Coffee is my friend :cool:

funny-pictures-your-cat-had-too-much-caffeine1.jpg

I would not even get out of bed in the mornings if it wasn't for coffee. What would be the purpose?:confused:

damn, i was told to limit it to just one cup

Hell, every doctor I have been to I told I drink about a pot a day and they just said it was good. My meds have clotting side effects and coffee is suppose to help that, I had to cut back because of dehydration problems ... but yeah ... only one a day? You are deprived of java goodness!

Forum List

Back