How does Youtube (google) know which sounds were in my video?

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
I always thought that is really just crazy conspiracy theory when people told me that Youtube has software that identify which music, voices and sounds are being played in an uploaded video, regardless of whether or not you supplied that information.

Some claim that one day they'll use this technology to censor news videos containing certain voices.

For instance, say the government really wants to censor Alex Jones, so they start deleting videos by random users with Alex Jone's voice, citing "copyright infringement" and pretending to act on Alex Jone's behalf.

Alex Jones himself claimed that one video was censored because it contained Michael Moore's voice, and since it contained negative content about Michael Moore, the government decided to censor it.

I thought the claim was outlandish, even though the overwhelming majority of Alex Jone's information turns out to be true, and roughly 25% of his future predictions.

BUT NOW I HAVE PROOF FOR MYSELF THAT THIS HAPPENS

Here was a simple video I made about 6 stars orbiting each other (The Castor system), and my video had music from Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, titled "Prayer."

Somehow, with no information at all about the song in the video, Youtube immediately knew it was the song Prayer, and put an ad alongside it that said "Buy Prayer ..."

Even though my video wasn't deleted or removed or censored, it still proved that Youtube actually has this technology.

Here's my video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pattern recognition is easy with things like songs where there is a near exact word and note match. It would be easy to automate something like that. And profitable for an ad insert. Voice recognition with unknown words is possible, but very compute intensive and more difficult depending on the quality. I can't see Google paying for something like that just to keep Michael Moore's reputation intact.

I have made a lot of youtube videos and ones with certain pictures or voices have come up with detected third party content and this is sometimes used to remove the video and other times not and that often seems to be a form of censorship not copyright protection

Last edited:
I always thought that is really just crazy conspiracy theory when people told me that Youtube has software that identify which music, voices and sounds are being played in an uploaded video, regardless of whether or not you supplied that information.

Some claim that one day they'll use this technology to censor news videos containing certain voices.

For instance, say the government really wants to censor Alex Jones, so they start deleting videos by random users with Alex Jone's voice, citing "copyright infringement" and pretending to act on Alex Jone's behalf.

Alex Jones himself claimed that one video was censored because it contained Michael Moore's voice, and since it contained negative content about Michael Moore, the government decided to censor it.

I thought the claim was outlandish, even though the overwhelming majority of Alex Jone's information turns out to be true, and roughly 25% of his future predictions.

BUT NOW I HAVE PROOF FOR MYSELF THAT THIS HAPPENS

Here was a simple video I made about 6 stars orbiting each other (The Castor system), and my video had music from Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, titled "Prayer."

Somehow, with no information at all about the song in the video, Youtube immediately knew it was the song Prayer, and put an ad alongside it that said "Buy Prayer ..."

Even though my video wasn't deleted or removed or censored, it still proved that Youtube actually has this technology.

Here's my video:
Castor Orbit, 6 stars - YouTube

Not bad...but you need to sex it up a bit...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlB9d11vtg]Dark Star Warning..by eots - YouTube[/ame]

IINM, the software was originally commissioned by ASCAP or BMI, in their never-ending, Congressionally-backed efforts to squeeze every last dime out of everyone they can.

Forum List

Back