How do you become rich?

The other day, I was having a conversation with one of my many liberal friends... a Bernie supporter... He was going on and on about the wealthy and how they take advantage of the worker... you know the drill. SO... I asked him, why don't the workers become bosses instead? He just looked at me funny, like he couldn't comprehend it.

Well, they just can't decide to be bosses! He fired back, and again, I asked... Why not? He says... well it just can't be done and you're dreaming if you think that would ever work. So, you see... right off the bat, the notion that you can be your own boss is so outrageous, they can't even comprehend it. If the conditions are so bad as workers... why not be your own boss, you've got nothing to lose.... your job sucks, right?

So what's the first step of your program, Boss?

Well, the first step is to decide that you CAN do this. You can certainly talk about doing it and think about it... but it has been my experience the best next step is to make the decision to do it. 99.999% of dreams fail because they are never tried.

Once you've "bought in" and understand that you can be your own boss and don't have to be a slave worker, you can make any amount of wealth you want and it's not that hard to do. It's challenging. It's tough at times and you have to suffer a little to start with... kind of like an exercise program... but the results pay off in wealth.

Okay, okay... get to the part where we get rich, Boss!

Patience, Grasshopper. There is no "Get Rich Quick" unless you're Hillary Clinton.

This is the complicated part... deciding what fits you individually. I can't answer that because we're all different. Focus on what you have a passion for. Something you like to do or have a talent for doing that is better than most. It needs to be something that you know other people who share this interest as well.

Next, you need to think of a way you can serve somebody. It does no good to have a passion for something that can't do anything for anyone. Think in terms of something you, who has the passion for this thing, would like to have done for you as a consumer. This will help you to form the nucleus of your idea.

Start writing all this stuff down. Keep a file folder for all your things, and start to do some market research. Don't be afraid to change your original idea or expand it. It's funny the way this process works but it's my favorite part. You will talk to people who have been there, they know what to expect and their advice is invaluable. It can make you completely change your mind on your original idea. The point of this is to refine your ideas and come up with a business plan to implement them.

Once all of this has been done, you will need start-up capital. This is where almost every failed business messes up. Keep all your start-up costs at a bare minimum. Live on pork-n-beans and vienna sausages for a while. Barter with people instead of paying cash. Do everything to avoid putting cash in to start-up. Get by with as little as you can to start. Too many people go big and go home. Start it slow and steady, and build it up.

I have started businesses on less than $1,000. One of them, I sold 10 years later for almost a million. You don't need a lot of money to start. If you happen to have some rich friends or family, it never hurts to see if they would like to make an attractive investment... that's a way to get some bankroll to start. Some people might even mortgage their homes, but I would not recommend doing that. Avoid putting yourself in debt to start a business. It's crazy and it's the easiest way to kill your dream before it gets started good.

The next part is the hardest part. You've got to stay with this 24/7/365. No vacations, no off days, no 9-5. It's from wake to sleep, you have to devote all your energy into making your business happen. You're going to be calling people, going to see people, talking to them about ways to do business. The more people you can talk to each day the better. Keep up with contacts. Keep business cards, pen and paper with you at all times. (although, I now use my smart phone) This is where a LOT of people slack off and then they wonder what happened, what went wrong? Well... you didn't tend your garden. You have to cultivate your business.

Last but not least, this is all about attitude. You have to believe your dream and know that you can make this happen. There are going to be times when you doubt yourself and it's a little scary to think about failure. So don't think about it! Think that you are going to make this shit happen man... it's done, you got this! If you have an idea and it goes sour, don't worry... just think up the next idea and keep booking. You have to roll with the punches sometimes. You have to blow off the skeptics. You have to distance yourself from negativity.

If you follow this plan and you are determined, you will become wealthy. It's really that simple.
What a simplistic solution

No, everyone cannot become the boss. Everyone cannot start their own business

No economic model supports a system where everyone is a chief and nobody is an Indian

True but it only matters to one person....the entire premis is anybody can do it. Just look at dumb ass kanye west, proof positive anybody can be rich.
Anybody can win the lottery...but only a small percentage do

Do you really want me to post the story's of 6~12 year old millionaires
Coming up with a new toy or something?

I can post about 6-12 year old Richie Rich

richie-rich_197x282.jpg

The other day, I was having a conversation with one of my many liberal friends... a Bernie supporter... He was going on and on about the wealthy and how they take advantage of the worker... you know the drill. SO... I asked him, why don't the workers become bosses instead? He just looked at me funny, like he couldn't comprehend it.

Well, they just can't decide to be bosses! He fired back, and again, I asked... Why not? He says... well it just can't be done and you're dreaming if you think that would ever work. So, you see... right off the bat, the notion that you can be your own boss is so outrageous, they can't even comprehend it. If the conditions are so bad as workers... why not be your own boss, you've got nothing to lose.... your job sucks, right?

Well, the first step is to decide that you CAN do this. You can certainly talk about doing it and think about it... but it has been my experience the best next step is to make the decision to do it. 99.999% of dreams fail because they are never tried.

Once you've "bought in" and understand that you can be your own boss and don't have to be a slave worker, you can make any amount of wealth you want and it's not that hard to do. It's challenging. It's tough at times and you have to suffer a little to start with... kind of like an exercise program... but the results pay off in wealth.

Patience, Grasshopper. There is no "Get Rich Quick" unless you're Hillary Clinton.

This is the complicated part... deciding what fits you individually. I can't answer that because we're all different. Focus on what you have a passion for. Something you like to do or have a talent for doing that is better than most. It needs to be something that you know other people who share this interest as well.

Next, you need to think of a way you can serve somebody. It does no good to have a passion for something that can't do anything for anyone. Think in terms of something you, who has the passion for this thing, would like to have done for you as a consumer. This will help you to form the nucleus of your idea.

Start writing all this stuff down. Keep a file folder for all your things, and start to do some market research. Don't be afraid to change your original idea or expand it. It's funny the way this process works but it's my favorite part. You will talk to people who have been there, they know what to expect and their advice is invaluable. It can make you completely change your mind on your original idea. The point of this is to refine your ideas and come up with a business plan to implement them.

Once all of this has been done, you will need start-up capital. This is where almost every failed business messes up. Keep all your start-up costs at a bare minimum. Live on pork-n-beans and vienna sausages for a while. Barter with people instead of paying cash. Do everything to avoid putting cash in to start-up. Get by with as little as you can to start. Too many people go big and go home. Start it slow and steady, and build it up.

I have started businesses on less than $1,000. One of them, I sold 10 years later for almost a million. You don't need a lot of money to start. If you happen to have some rich friends or family, it never hurts to see if they would like to make an attractive investment... that's a way to get some bankroll to start. Some people might even mortgage their homes, but I would not recommend doing that. Avoid putting yourself in debt to start a business. It's crazy and it's the easiest way to kill your dream before it gets started good.

The next part is the hardest part. You've got to stay with this 24/7/365. No vacations, no off days, no 9-5. It's from wake to sleep, you have to devote all your energy into making your business happen. You're going to be calling people, going to see people, talking to them about ways to do business. The more people you can talk to each day the better. Keep up with contacts. Keep business cards, pen and paper with you at all times. (although, I now use my smart phone) This is where a LOT of people slack off and then they wonder what happened, what went wrong? Well... you didn't tend your garden. You have to cultivate your business.

Last but not least, this is all about attitude. You have to believe your dream and know that you can make this happen. There are going to be times when you doubt yourself and it's a little scary to think about failure. So don't think about it! Think that you are going to make this shit happen man... it's done, you got this! If you have an idea and it goes sour, don't worry... just think up the next idea and keep booking. You have to roll with the punches sometimes. You have to blow off the skeptics. You have to distance yourself from negativity.

If you follow this plan and you are determined, you will become wealthy. It's really that simple.
What a simplistic solution

No, everyone cannot become the boss. Everyone cannot start their own business

No economic model supports a system where everyone is a chief and nobody is an Indian

True but it only matters to one person....the entire premis is anybody can do it. Just look at dumb ass kanye west, proof positive anybody can be rich.
Anybody can win the lottery...but only a small percentage do

Do you really want me to post the story's of 6~12 year old millionaires
Coming up with a new toy or something?

I can post about 6-12 year old Richie Rich

So?

We are talking making money from limited means.

Obviously, the poor are meant to be poor and forgotten about. Any suffering is deserved and no one else has any reason to lend a hand. Very magnanimous. Very human. The differences in social function between someone with an I.Q. of 80 and those approaching 160 can be ignored; they are meaningless. March or die.
In fact, in such a situation, only Christians or the like would lift a finger.

The problem is not how can the poor become rich but how can the poor get jobs where they can support themselves and their families?
How can the poor get jobs where they can buy a house, afford healthcare, send their kids to college....hopefully, someday retire

Used to be the American Dream. The path to that dream is getting narrower and narrower

What is "rich"? And why does one aspire to become, or be known as rich? Are rich people morally superior to the hoi polloi? Are they more likely to be liked for what they are, and not what they have? Is it ego, "see what I have" and the desire to want others to be envious of what one has?

If you can't afford to pay your fulltime employees a livable wage, then be a SOLE TRADER.

Well, "sole trader" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?
No.
And I certainly cannot afford to pay my fulltime employees a livable wage because, what's a "livable wage?"
One that pays their mortgage, bills and sends their kids to school.

If you can't do that, then you aren't good enough to employ anyone. Be a sole trader.

You develop a skill or create a product that people want or need...create the infrastructure to create these things...and make them.....work hard, work smart.....and you have a good chance of becoming rich.

Bitch about how rich other people are while supporting bernie or hilary who will destroy the actual people making things and hiring people...and you will be poor....

Unless you get a government job and sell access...that is the other way to get rich..just ask obama and the clintons....

What is "rich"? And why does one aspire to become, or be known as rich? Are rich people morally superior to the hoi polloi? Are they more likely to be liked for what they are, and not what they have? Is it ego, "see what I have" and the desire to want others to be envious of what one has?

No moron....it is the desire to take care of one's family combined with the desire to create something, a business or a career.....by their own work.....

Notice how this moron has no clue about why people become rich.....

That's true too. Takes money to make money. I never had any to spare. It all went on food, baby stuff, bus or gas for the car when I finally found a clunker to get to work and back, rent, utilities, etc. Then I got married again and that didn't work out. He stayed stoned at home while I slaved washing dishes at the local cafe. Dumped his ass, moved on, wound up in property management. I did have two stores but that was in my late 40's. Rents went up on the building and either I could live in my store or sell on ebay and live in my rental unit which was free since I was managing apartments too. I worked my ass off. But I didn't tuck away a couple of bucks from each check cuz I couldn't.

But, the OP is good advice. However, as bulldog says...it takes more than just that to actually become rich.

Unless you come from a 3rd World Country and can't speak English.......then you come to the United States, work and save money, and start a business and get rich.....while Americans, born here, with government paid education....bitch about other people being rich.....

Most Amercans do not want to be rich

They want to be comfortable. Not have to worry about losing your job, losing your house if you become sick, having enough to buy a small home, take your family on a vacation, buy a new car every ten years

Used to be you could do that on a high school education and maybe a nice Union job

Those days are gone. Workers are moe concerned about survival them being comfortable

If you can't afford to pay your fulltime employees a livable wage, then be a SOLE TRADER.

No.
And I certainly cannot afford to pay my fulltime employees a livable wage because, what's a "livable wage?"

If you can't do that, then you aren't good enough to employ anyone. Be a sole trader.

Again.... "Sole" means one and only one. "Trade" means transaction between parties. Put them together and you have an oxymoron. So I have no idea what that phrase means unless you're talking about shoe soles.

And maybe you're not comprehending me... I don't know what your mortgage is... I don't know what bills you have... I am not responsible for your finances or decisions. How you provide for the education of your children is not my concern. According to you, I should only hire people who don't have a mortgage, no bills or kids... then I can get away with paying them virtually nothing.

Let's say I hire Great Goose and rightwinger to assemble widgets for my company.. same job, same hours, same conditions... I'm going to pay rightwinger $20/hr. because he has a huge mortgage he is upside down in, bought a sweet new Camaro and Harley last year on credit, and has eight kids in private school. I'm only going to pay Great Goose $7.50/hr. because he still lives in his mother's basement. That's the system you want?

See... I'd rather have a system where I pay you based on the value you bring to the table for me as a capitalist. Maybe Great Goose is a better producer than rightwinger? Maybe Great Goose calls in sick less and doesn't mind working overtime? Maybe Great Goose is smarter and has more experience? You see... I don't really care about what's happening in your personal life when it comes to what I pay you.

Even working for someone else people can become rich.......woman I know works for Home Depot...used their employee stock plan to become a millionaire.

No.

Again.... "Sole" means one and only one. "Trade" means transaction between parties. Put them together and you have an oxymoron. So I have no idea what that phrase means unless you're talking about shoe soles.

And maybe you're not comprehending me... I don't know what your mortgage is... I don't know what bills you have... I am not responsible for your finances or decisions. How you provide for the education of your children is not my concern. According to you, I should only hire people who don't have a mortgage, no bills or kids... then I can get away with paying them virtually nothing.

Let's say I hire Great Goose and rightwinger to assemble widgets for my company.. same job, same hours, same conditions... I'm going to pay rightwinger $20/hr. because he has a huge mortgage he is upside down in, bought a sweet new Camaro and Harley last year on credit, and has eight kids in private school. I'm only going to pay Great Goose $7.50/hr. because he still lives in his mother's basement. That's the system you want?

See... I'd rather have a system where I pay you based on the value you bring to the table for me as a capitalist. Maybe Great Goose is a better producer than rightwinger? Maybe Great Goose calls in sick less and doesn't mind working overtime? Maybe Great Goose is smarter and has more experience? You see... I don't really care about what's happening in your personal life when it comes to what I pay you.
Nobody is advocating that system
What they are advocating is that you pay a reasonable wage in which they can support their family so that the taxpayer does not have to step in and subsidize their family

They used to support a family on a widget makers salary. You are still making a good profit off their labor but they don't see as much of it as they used to

I wish I were much younger. I'd be rich now maybe. But, been on my own since 17, female, with a baby and a rotten husband. I ran off just to get out of that hell hole house, so I've always been a laborer, but a stupid one. I didn't save for the future. I lived pay check to pay check. Rent, food, bills. Just never saved enough and was too busy taking care of other peoples property to think of my own I needed to be saving up for.

Dumb. Just DUMB on my part.

And you are doing what SO many others do... talking yourself into hopelessness. It's so easy to do! It's much more difficult to believe in yourself and make your dream happen. Think about people who accomplish amazing feats that have never been done.... do you think they would have gotten there by telling themselves it's not possible? While they were struggling to accomplish the feat, wouldn't it have been much easier to tell themselves, it's okay to fail at this, no one expects you to finish? They have to overcome their self doubts.

I have a lady working for me right now... she is day manager at the bistro. She doesn't have a college education, she has worked most of her life in menial little shit jobs for not much more than minimum wage. When she came to work for me, I promised her she would eventually make more money than she's ever made in her life but to start, it would be long hours and little to no pay. She bought in to the dream. Six months later, sure enough, she is making more per week than ever in her life.

She and I were talking the other day and she confessed, she thought I was full of bullshit when I told her she'd be making more than ever before. Especially the first month or so when payroll was short. In order for us to pay the rest of the staff, she had to be left out. She said she would have quit under any other circumstance but she knew me, we've been friends for years. So, her believing in me made her stick with it through the tough period.

This is what I mean about attitude and mindset. You have to believe in yourself and be dedicated to making your dream come true. You have to believe you can make it come true. You might fail but that's okay, you might also find that your biggest obstacle was your own mind.

What they are advocating is that you pay a reasonable wage in which they can support their family...

But I have no way of knowing or controlling what it costs to support your family. I don't know what you consider "reasonable" either... these are subjective terms that mean different things to different people. My business model doesn't have a formula to calculate your personal needs. Capitalist laws of supply and demand don't care about your personal circumstances.

If you think my pay is unreasonable, you're free to take another job or start your own business where you can pay people based on their needs. Good luck with that, let me know how it works out?

What they are advocating is that you pay a reasonable wage in which they can support their family...

But I have no way of knowing or controlling what it costs to support your family. I don't know what you consider "reasonable" either... these are subjective terms that mean different things to different people. My business model doesn't have a formula to calculate your personal needs. Capitalist laws of supply and demand don't care about your personal circumstances.

If you think my pay is unreasonable, you're free to take another job or start your own business where you can pay people based on their needs. Good luck with that, let me know how it works out?
You do know what the going wage rate is and if you rely on taxpayers to pay for your employees food and shelter then you are no better than a welfare queen.

If you need the taxpayers to pick up the slack for your business, then you don't belong in business

The problem is not how can the poor become rich but how can the poor get jobs where they can support themselves and their families?
How can the poor get jobs where they can buy a house, afford healthcare, send their kids to college....hopefully, someday retire

Used to be the American Dream. The path to that dream is getting narrower and narrower
As the country moves further and further to the left, toward socialism.

No moron....it is the desire to take care of one's family combined with the desire to create something, a business or a career.....by their own work.....

Notice how this moron has no clue about why people become rich.....

Let's see, Mitt and Donald each got money, lots of money, from mommy and daddy. Donald has ripped off his suppliers as we have recently learned, and been sued lots of times. Mitt put his dog on the top of his car, and if one reads Vanity Faire we learned he ripped people off too. Both created misery for the many, and joy for those who sold cars, real estate, boats and jewelry.

BTW 2aguy, what do you do for a living? Clearly you're not rich nor a writer, scientist, teacher, government employee, philosopher, doctor, dentist or librarian.

As the country moves further and further to the left, toward socialism.

Wrong, Plutocracy is the goal of the power elite! Only a fool cannot recognize that truth.

Forum List

Back