How do you adjust quote function notification?

noonereal

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2009
I am notified whenever someone responds to a quote of mine. Good.
I am also notified when I am part of a thread of replies. Bad

I just want to know when someone replies directly to my post, not 2, 3, 4, 4, 6... posts of my pervious of which I am still quoted.

How can this be fixed?

I just want to know when someone replies directly to my post, not 2, 3, 4, 4, 6... posts of my pervious of which I am still quoted.

How can this be fixed?

I'd like to know myself

How can this be fixed?

This is never a problem using free software, but here in this overpaid Xenforo mess, it is a lumbering flaw they haven't fix after a year of this version being produced.

How can this be fixed?

I'd like to know myself

as i recall, this is why i stopped posting here last time... does this reply mean it can't be fixed?

Thanks

How can this be fixed?

I'd like to know myself

as i recall, this is why i stopped posting here last time... does this reply mean it can't be fixed?

Thanks
The reason why they have been asking people to break the quote train, but, cutting off hands is easier.

How can this be fixed?

Write better software than Xenforo.

How can this be fixed?
It can't without the cooperation of posters 2,3,4,5,6...who need to use select quotes to break the string. I came on one morning with 38 alerts. Two were for me. I've gone back to the thread and requested it, but it depends on cooperation. I just scan alerts for the thread title and ignore the ones from threads that are causing that problem. Eventually, after a day or two, the thread usually fizzles.

One way to minimize the problem is to ALWAYS reply using a select quote yourself. At least you won't be alerted to replies to posts that came before yours.

But warning: Another board I use has the same program but goes too far in the other direction. It quotes ONLY the last response, not what that post is responding to, and with some of our more terse posters, I have to backtrack three of four remarks to figure out what they're talking about. Maybe two or three would be a just right amount.

It can't without the cooperation of posters 2,3,4,5,6...who need to use select quotes to break the string.

I think I am the only one who takes the time to do this. Too bad it can't be fixed.

The reason why they have been asking people to break the quote train, but, cutting off hands is easier.

I understand. For example, asking a Trumpist to do what benefits all is like asking them to take a college course, it's not gonna happen. .

Oh well.

I understand. For example, asking a Trumpist to do what benefits all is like asking them to take a college course, it's not gonna happen. .

Oh well.
It seems as if all the admin have abandoned ship along with FlatCan who was at least and IT guy who could show them which button to push.

Oh well.
It seems as if all the admin have abandoned ship along with FlatCan who was at least and IT guy who could show them which button to push.

In this case Flacaltenn and the administrators can't do anything either, since this software belongs to the Xenforo group, only they can fix the software problems. All the forum Moderators and Administrators here are completely innocent of this software problem.

I have run FREE forum software based forums for 14 years where I can just go into the software files and change or repair the problem, which are rare since the developers update their software for free every few months, usually security updates.

Now that I just decided yesterday not to own the two forums I have anymore, to avoid the $300 yearly cost to keep them running online, to concentrate more on my Moderations duties, and as a slow walk into a new direction in life that will enable me to enjoy the stargazing and gardening activities so much more.

Last edited:
Now that I just decided yesterday not to own the two forums I have anymore, to avoid the $300 cost to keep them online, to concentrate more on my Moderations duties, and as a slow walk into a new direction in life that will enable me to enjoy the stargazing and gardening activities so much more.

The best of luck to you! Enjoy!!!

It can't without the cooperation of posters 2,3,4,5,6...who need to use select quotes to break the string.

I think I am the only one who takes the time to do this. Too bad it can't be fixed.
No, you're not. And I don't whine about it. It's a free board, so I dont complain about these silly things.

It'd be nice if more people would just break the chain instead of whining about "fixing" it

No, you're not. And I don't whine about it. It's a free board, so I dont complain about these silly things.

It'd be nice if more people would just break the chain instead of whining about "fixing" it

WAs someone whining?

My advise, lay your hate to the side, your journey will be simpler and the reward will be all yours.

Peace

How can this be fixed?
I recommend prayer.

When you look at your drop down menu of quote alerts and click on the oldest one, anything above that one in the same thread (of which you haven't posted again) will not be a reply to you. Ignore those.

How can this be fixed?

Couple of options. Read the Announcement in the Sticky section of this forum about "Asking for Changes to Editing Habits". There is an ongoing issue with "depth of quoting". We've asked all members to change their editing habits to reduce the LENGTH of the quote chain and number of quote-backs. If everyone complied, the number of redundant alerts on your old quotes would go down.

Secondly, do what I do. When you open your alerts, review them thread by thread, not in the order of the list. Find your last post in that thread (likely to be a post rating alert in the list that helps you to do that) and read that one thread forward for a page or two. If nobody is actually responding to YOU -- move to the next thread in the alerts.

Once folks start pounding the reply button and carrying along your older post and creating those excess alerts -- and you SEE THAT -- ignore the rest of the alerts from that thread.

It can't without the cooperation of posters 2,3,4,5,6...who need to use select quotes to break the string. I came on one morning with 38 alerts. Two were for me. I've gone back to the thread and requested it, but it depends on cooperation. I just scan alerts for the thread title and ignore the ones from threads that are causing that problem. Eventually, after a day or two, the thread usually fizzles.

One way to minimize the problem is to ALWAYS reply using a select quote yourself. At least you won't be alerted to replies to posts that came before yours.

But warning: Another board I use has the same program but goes too far in the other direction. It quotes ONLY the last response, not what that post is responding to, and with some of our more terse posters, I have to backtrack three of four remarks to figure out what they're talking about. Maybe two or three would be a just right amount.
Hey, stop whining, the world needs more 'lerts.' :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back