How do we stop gun violence? Is getting rid of the second amendment the answer?

Pele10cbf

Rookie
Feb 18, 2005
In a country where gun violence seems to continue rising, gun control is a sensitive subject for the United States. There is an ongoing argument brewing in this country about the validity of the second amendment and the way people interpret it. Throughout the years, there has been much opposition to the right of gun ownership in the United States and many believe that the second amendment should be stricken from the bill of rights. The solution to diminishing gun violence does not lie in amending the bill of rights, but toughening laws in order to take guns out of the hands of criminals. The simple fact is that removing the amendment would only strip law-abiding citizens of their right to owning firearms and would in no way would be effective in reducing or bringing an end to gun violence in the United States. The individuals who want to remove the second amendment are only trying to alter and misconstrue the intention of those who wrote the bill of rights over 200 years ago.

Many would say that the world would be a better place without guns and that the best sensible resolution would be to outlaw them. This is true, but unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of guns just as it is impossible to get rid of drugs. Making gun ownership illegal would only take firearms away from law-abiding citizens, not the true criminals who get guns from illegal sources on the black market. According to the Bureau of Justice, 80% of inmates in 1997 who committed a crime with a gun got their weapon from family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source. It is apparent that the law enforcement needs to primarily target the black market to prevent crimes and to get guns off the street. In the cases of homicides involving guns, 81% of the criminals had at least one arrest, 67% had a felony, and 70% had at least one conviction in 2001. Another way to discourage these crimes is by strengthening prison sentences for those who use firearms to commit offenses, as the government has been doing recently. In terms of education, schools in areas of substantial gun violence could work to teach youths about the disadvantages of choosing a criminal lifestyle involving guns or crime in general. Many believe the solution lies in making background checks more elaborate and demanding, however they do not fully solve the problem of violence. Background checks help ensure that criminals or people with substantially flawed records cannot purchase firearms from legal sources but not from the illegal sources. A better answer for decreasing gun crimes could be by routinely checking people, who have a substantial record of violence, for firearms through parole or other types of enforcement. Unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to try and take guns away from those who do not have a criminal record but will use guns to commit homicide because we cannot see the future. The reality remains that only a small percentage of the homicides involving guns occur with legally purchased firearms. It would be much more effective and practical for the government to concentrate on eradicating illegal arms, not by revising established doctrine. It is impossible to get guns away from every criminal just as it is impossible to completely prevent every crime, but there still needs to be a logical effort to do so.

The United States government simply cannot violate the rights of its citizens and should never take firearms from people without criminal records even though a small percentage will use guns in a crime. The majority of legal gun owners do not use their guns in any crime; they use the weapons for protection, sport, target practice, or for collection. People need to understand that there is a problem within our society, not within the bill of rights. At this point, relying on better law enforcement, education, and stronger sentences is all we can do to stop gun violence throughout the nation, for infringing upon the rights of the population is not the answer.

if guns are banned, then knives will have to be. then chainsaws. then trees. then dental tools. then surgical tools. then hunting bows....etc

you can ban anything you want, and crimes/murders will still happen. psychos will always find a way to use any minor object to commit a crime.

You can use simple household items, and don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use them against someone.

Let me list the things we have:
Bathroom/kitchen cleaners
wood for fireplace kindling
a set of basic cooking knives
basic set of silverware
vast array of craftsman tools & power tools
my husband's extensive dagger/knife/sword collection
solid oak kitchen chairs
various cast iron cooking pans
various stainless steel cooking pans
old wire coat hangers
cayenne pepper
tobasco sauce
pellet gun
2 Tippman paintball guns
several 2x4's (in garage)
basic shaving razor
box cutters
xacto knifes
lighters
a baseball bat

are you gonna ban all this stuff too?

They should teach firearms classes in all the public schools.
(right after the sex ed classes) :rolleyes:

Guns should be promoted because students need to know.
Students should learn everything from BB guns to bazookas.
The various dangers of mishandling guns should be exposed.
Alternatives to firearms should also be on the agenda.
Then they should pass out bullets to all students.

;)

Will gun violence end if the second amendment is struck from the Constitution? In a word, no. Given the number of firearms already in circulation there is no means, short of police-state tactics, of removing them all from circulation.

The best means of reducing gun violence lies in enforcing existing firearms laws, and ensuring that only those who are able to demonstrate their responsibility are permitted access to firearms. The right to keep and bear arms entails enormous responsibility, and those incapable of shouldering that responsibility should be denied that right.

Bullypulpit said:
Will gun violence end if the second amendment is struck from the Constitution? In a word, no. Given the number of firearms already in circulation there is no means, short of police-state tactics, of removing them all from circulation.

The best means of reducing gun violence lies in enforcing existing firearms laws, and ensuring that only those who are able to demonstrate their responsibility are permitted access to firearms. The right to keep and bear arms entails enormous responsibility, and those incapable of shouldering that responsibility should be denied that right.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I actually agree with Bully...It must be mighty cold in hell today.

You dont want to end up the same as us in Britain.It is so hard to get a permit to own a firearm over here i personaly do not know one person who owns a firearm.Even if you do get a permit over here you are not allowed to own semi auto or automatics.Saying that we still have guncrime so it shows that criminals will always find a way to get their mitts on firearms whatever the law tries to enforce.

fuzzykitten99 said:
if guns are banned, then knives will have to be. then chainsaws. then trees. then dental tools. then surgical tools. then hunting bows....etc

you can ban anything you want, and crimes/murders will still happen. psychos will always find a way to use any minor object to commit a crime.

You can use simple household items, and don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use them against someone.

Let me list the things we have:
Bathroom/kitchen cleaners
wood for fireplace kindling
a set of basic cooking knives
basic set of silverware
vast array of craftsman tools & power tools
my husband's extensive dagger/knife/sword collection
solid oak kitchen chairs
various cast iron cooking pans
various stainless steel cooking pans
old wire coat hangers
cayenne pepper
tobasco sauce
pellet gun
2 Tippman paintball guns
several 2x4's (in garage)
basic shaving razor
box cutters
xacto knifes
lighters
a baseball bat

are you gonna ban all this stuff too?

Fuzzy: Except for a couple of these items (the pellet gun and the paintball guns) both of which still qualify as guns, anyway about the other stuff ,you got to get close enough to me to use it and let me tell you, I stand a much better chance of defending myself up close that across the room or whatever. Actually, in self defense training you learn all sorts of ways to
deal with weapons, one thing is that a perp tends to focus on the weapon making it easy to distract them. Another thing is ANYTHING can be used as a weapon, as you stated, and just taking advantage of physical attributes works great in fighting off an attacker.
Guns are a big issue in our society and make it easy to attack from a distance and can have devastating affects. I think all guns should be registered and all original sales and consequent sales should be recorded. It is so totally stupid that I have to go thru a background check to buy a gun and I can literally turn around and sell it to a guy in the parking lot, no questions asked, all very legal.

all adults over 35 should be required to carry firearms at all times. gun crime would come to screeching halt.

I think all guns should be registered and all original sales and consequent sales should be recorded. It is so totally stupid that I have to go thru a background check to buy a gun and I can literally turn around and sell it to a guy in the parking lot, no questions asked, all very legal.

They are. Before you can legally sell a firearm, you have to have a liscence, which costs an arm and a leg to get. You must then keep all background checks on record for a certain number of years and send them to the FBI. If the FBI has a serial number, they can tell you every single person who has legally handled that gun right down to the assembly line workers who made it. Whenever they find a gun used in a murder, they always go and interview the last legal owner. If he hasn't reported it as stolen and doesn't come up with a decent excuse as to why he no longer has it, he goes to jail for illegal arms sale, possibly murder.

In the above scenario, if the police ever found out you were no longer in possession of the gun, you'd be arrested in a heartbeat.

Bullypulpit said:

Okay - who the hell are you and what have you done with our buddy Bully???

Obviously getting rid of guns isn't the answer to ending violent crime, it's true that people will simply find something else to kill someone with. But I'd stand a better chance of defending myself from a knife than getting shot from across the room.

IMO people shouldn't be able to buy handguns or semiautomatics. Handguns are used to kill people. Why would anyone other than the military and police need these guns??? Shotguns and rifles are used for hunting and that's fine, I don't think they should be outlawed.

sagegirl said:
Guns are a big issue in our society and make it easy to attack from a distance and can have devastating affects. I think all guns should be registered and all original sales and consequent sales should be recorded. It is so totally stupid that I have to go thru a background check to buy a gun and I can literally turn around and sell it to a guy in the parking lot, no questions asked, all very legal.

Sage if you feel the need to get some background on the effects of gun control programs in other countries, I recommend you research both England and Australia. I did that a few months ago and the picture isn't pretty. Both countries have seen an increase in home burglaries which are perpetrated while the occupants are on the premises. Criminals, no longer fearing armed owners, are getting more brazen.

But I do agree that background checks and gun registration are good things. On the other hand, allowing states like Massachusetts to prohibit hand guns is not desirable. I don't think that a state should be allowed to pass ordinances which violate the constitution.

Pele10cbf said:
In a country where gun violence seems to continue rising, gun control is a sensitive subject for the United States. There is an ongoing argument brewing in this country about the validity of the second amendment and the way people interpret it. Throughout the years, there has been much opposition to the right of gun ownership in the United States and many believe that the second amendment should be stricken from the bill of rights. The solution to diminishing gun violence does not lie in amending the bill of rights, but toughening laws in order to take guns out of the hands of criminals. The simple fact is that removing the amendment would only strip law-abiding citizens of their right to owning firearms and would in no way would be effective in reducing or bringing an end to gun violence in the United States. The individuals who want to remove the second amendment are only trying to alter and misconstrue the intention of those who wrote the bill of rights over 200 years ago.

First, welcome. I think this paragraph is right on, except you are leaving out the fact that the American people are clearly voting for more gun rights, and for representatives who favor more gun rights.

Many would say that the world would be a better place without guns and that the best sensible resolution would be to outlaw them. This is true, but unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of guns just as it is impossible to get rid of drugs. Making gun ownership illegal would only take firearms away from law-abiding citizens, not the true criminals who get guns from illegal sources on the black market. According to the Bureau of Justice, 80% of inmates in 1997 who committed a crime with a gun got their weapon from family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source. It is apparent that the law enforcement needs to primarily target the black market to prevent crimes and to get guns off the street. In the cases of homicides involving guns, 81% of the criminals had at least one arrest, 67% had a felony, and 70% had at least one conviction in 2001. Another way to discourage these crimes is by strengthening prison sentences for those who use firearms to commit offenses, as the government has been doing recently. In terms of education, schools in areas of substantial gun violence could work to teach youths about the disadvantages of choosing a criminal lifestyle involving guns or crime in general. Many believe the solution lies in making background checks more elaborate and demanding, however they do not fully solve the problem of violence. Background checks help ensure that criminals or people with substantially flawed records cannot purchase firearms from legal sources but not from the illegal sources. A better answer for decreasing gun crimes could be by routinely checking people, who have a substantial record of violence, for firearms through parole or other types of enforcement. Unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to try and take guns away from those who do not have a criminal record but will use guns to commit homicide because we cannot see the future. The reality remains that only a small percentage of the homicides involving guns occur with legally purchased firearms. It would be much more effective and practical for the government to concentrate on eradicating illegal arms, not by revising established doctrine. It is impossible to get guns away from every criminal just as it is impossible to completely prevent every crime, but there still needs to be a logical effort to do so.

You speak out of both sides of your mouth in this paragraph. First, you say that the best theoretical solution would be to ban guns (?!?) but then you call it impossible to do. Damn straight it is. Your analysis that enforcing current gun laws and keeping guns out of criminal's hands is good, but I have troubles with the last two sentences. Yes, it is impossible to keep every gun out of criminal's hands, but the answer is not a vain effort to get most guns out of their hands, the answer is to allow law abiding citizens to arm themselves.

The United States government simply cannot violate the rights of its citizens and should never take firearms from people without criminal records even though a small percentage will use guns in a crime. The majority of legal gun owners do not use their guns in any crime; they use the weapons for protection, sport, target practice, or for collection. People need to understand that there is a problem within our society, not within the bill of rights. At this point, relying on better law enforcement, education, and stronger sentences is all we can do to stop gun violence throughout the nation, for infringing upon the rights of the population is not the answer.

I agree.

sagegirl said:
Fuzzy: Except for a couple of these items (the pellet gun and the paintball guns) both of which still qualify as guns, anyway about the other stuff ,you got to get close enough to me to use it and let me tell you, I stand a much better chance of defending myself up close that across the room or whatever. Actually, in self defense training you learn all sorts of ways to
deal with weapons, one thing is that a perp tends to focus on the weapon making it easy to distract them. Another thing is ANYTHING can be used as a weapon, as you stated, and just taking advantage of physical attributes works great in fighting off an attacker.

Ok then...

How about a board..with a nail in it??!! :thup:

Hobbit said:
They are. Before you can legally sell a firearm, you have to have a liscence, which costs an arm and a leg to get. You must then keep all background checks on record for a certain number of years and send them to the FBI. If the FBI has a serial number, they can tell you every single person who has legally handled that gun right down to the assembly line workers who made it. Whenever they find a gun used in a murder, they always go and interview the last legal owner. If he hasn't reported it as stolen and doesn't come up with a decent excuse as to why he no longer has it, he goes to jail for illegal arms sale, possibly murder.

In the above scenario, if the police ever found out you were no longer in possession of the gun, you'd be arrested in a heartbeat.

Not true. If you are a licensed gun dealer you have to do all the paper work, not so if you are a private citizen, you can sell a gun without any paperwork, I dont know if this varies state to state but I know thats how it is here.
You can voluntarily register the sale but it is not required by law.

If you are an adult, with no felonies, there should be no reason for registration or licenses. It's a second amendment issue.

Forum List

Back