How do people survive on minimum wage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hvactec, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,284
    My Father was in the Air force for 22 years and my mother's health care has been paid for to this day and she is in her 70's, she and my father are covered by TriCare, my parents have never gone without health care benefits from the AF and due to this, my parents are living long healthy lives, even though my father has had 3 different cancers, due to his health care benefit they caught all of them early so he's beat all 3 Cancers, so far....

I'm so sorry about what your family has gone through and although I've had a fairly 'charmed' life, we too have gone through some periods of very hard luck as well, and you are right, you do what you have to do....

I have not had nearly the struggles that you have had Sheila, with your son's illness, and your husband being unemployed for 3 years and all the other hard times you've gone through....and NOT ONCE have I ever thought you were some lowlife scum of the earth loser as many on the right seem to think about people who have gone through struggles or people that are making minimum wage....

I have a gift of empathy, I can feel what others feel....some say this is not a gift and that it only brings a person down, when they have this ability and I admit, I am sad a lot, not for me, but for others and yes, my husband and I do know our neighbors and would help our neighbors if and when they needed help, and they too have helped us as well....

and here in Maine, people are different, it's such a small community of people, we all help each other...many have no health insurance at all here, it's just unaffordable, about $12,000 a year now per person, when people in maine are lucky to make 25k a year per family...most are farmers or lobstermen where I live...but when anybody is sick with cancer or their house burned down with no insurance or the cripled woman down the street needs a ramp to go up to her house, we all have a collection to give to these people...we have coat drives for the kids, and canned food drives for the foodbanks and whenever someone is in need, our local news covers it and gives the number to call so we can donate or help....

THIS IS WHY I LOVE LIVING HERE, I've never ever, in my whole life lived in a situation where everyone knows everybody, and they all watch each others back....It is God's land here, poor and all, these people are lovely....and the hardest working people I have ever met, from dawn to dusk, they are working....

My husband and I have also supported my husband's brother and family for years....from when his brother was in Seminary, we paid for his school, to when he married and had my nieces and struggling while trying to find a Minister's job, we paid for their rent, and when their only car broke down, we gave them a used car....

With his other nephew, who was born to his crack head and prostitute sister, we help pay for his rearing and with his college....my very poor mother and father in law actually were raising him, his sister was no where to be found, and my nephew's father was in jail....but he turned out to be a fine young man regardless of what his parents were, and is a firefighter now for Tampa, plus he runs his own landscape business to make extra money....he's a clean ace too....we are very proud of him.

So Please don't think I don't know how just one thing, when people are living on the edge of existence, can throw them in to turmoil and more and more struggles as each day goes by....it's like dominos falling and their is no stopping it when it happens...

and as poor as people are here in Maine, Maine was still rated the Number 1 most peaceful State to live, this year!

the sign coming in to the state reads, "Maine, the Way Life Should Be"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    You have it BACKWARDS dumbass.
    I have a BBA and am a private detective.
    MW in 2007 was $6.27 an hour on average in the United States, $5.85 on that chart.

3. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    We are broke Clean. Don't you know?
    43 cents of every dollar you pass on to your kids and grandkids to pay for because you want "something useful" for yourself so we borrow it.
    Suck it up and quit the demands that you want and have no $$ to pay for.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Post of the year right there. I agree 1000%.
    Very well said. :clap2:

5. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Well, my sister has lung cancer for the 2nd time and quit smoking 40 years ago. My brother is a handicapped Nam vet with mental problems and my sister has schizophrenia. Mom is 89 years old and I take care of her.
    Yes, government needs to be there but what does our Santa Claus giveaway govrnment do? When my sister had cancer the 1st time they stepped in and paid her $2200 a month ON TOP of the full pay she received from her job on leave as disability. CRAZY. And get this, when they started the 1st payment what did our give away spend government do? They looked and saw her diagnosis listed that she probably had it 1 year before it was diagnosed so they sent her a $24K check for back payments! For someone that did not need any $$$. Multiply that times millions sports fans.

6. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,969

Yeah--I know those ADULTS have been stealing after school jobs from teens and working for minimum wage.

With real unemployment standing at 11% what would you expect them to do?

[​IMG]

"When you don't have a record to run on, you paint your opponent as someone people should run from"--Barack Obama

7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,120
    There is nothing "useful" about wasting taxpayer money, trying to achieve an impossibility, simply because ignorant juveniles like you refuse to grow up.

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,120
    Well, folks, that just says it all about the liberal mindset, doesn't it? If you're not stuck in a minimum wage job, it's not because you got an education, earned work experience, kept yourself out of trouble, or made good life choices. It's only because you were LUCKY. There, but for the grace of an unspecified, random fluctuation in the fabric of the universe (because we wouldn't want to mention God, right?), goes you, galumphing along to the welfare office.

9. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Coach sometines said "73 you lazy worm sum bitch, you stand too high, you gap too wide, you are a worthless piece of shit. Work your ass off and one day you may amount to something but I doubt it."
    Hear that 1001 times and go through that and sure enough he was right. And I was a lazy ball player compared to most. I made it in the business world. But without that work ethic from Dad, coach and many others I would be a moocher also.

10. P@triot

P@triot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,229
    “During this time in [President] Reagan’s first term, our economy was growing at six percent … unemployment was dropping like a rock from double-digits under Carter. We were creating 600,000 jobs a month,” he said.

“And when Reagan was done, we had created over 20 million news job; economic growth for 25 years like the nation had not seen in a century. So, yeah,” Limbaugh continued, “that’s what Obama says we can’t go back to

‘Ideological Straitjacket’: Limbaugh Goes After Obama For Being a ‘Close-Minded Economic Bigot’ | TheBlaze.com