How cool are Ford Focus ST's?

From what I read and seen in youtube videos, the Civic Type R has a lot more power. Top speed advertised 170. Actual top speed on autobahn: 176.

Honda Civic Type R Exceeds Official Top Speed In Autobahn Test

5 out of 5 stars by Car and Driver:

2019 Honda Civic Type R Reviews | Honda Civic Type R Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver

In a head to head test, the Type R beat the Focus RS. It would eat your Focus ST for lunch. It's stopping distance was shorter than the Acura NSX 200 thousand dollar supercar. It pulled 1.02G's on the skidpad, unheard of for a FWD car. It was also the fastest FWD car ever tested by C and D.

2017 Ford Focus RS vs. 2017 Honda Civic Type R | Comparison Test | Car and Driver
The type R is cool, but its a bit too outlandish looking for me. They are quick as shit though.

If it makes you feel better, its so fast you won't have to look at it long and you can't see its crazy looks from the inside. The reviews actually say if you can tolerate the looks the performance is incredible.
The Type R definitely has the better interior. They look awesome inside.

I think most hatchbacks look terrible, but i love these turbo charged ST's. They come out of the factory with a top speed of 155 mph, but its really easy to tune them for A LOT more horsepower, though most of that power goes towards 2-4th gear, but thats where you spend most of your driving.

I was thinking i was going to buy a Honda Accord Coupe, but i think ill get one of these instead and have it tuned by Ford Performance, which doesnt void the warranty.

avant_garde_m310_18x85_matteblack_ford_focus_st_pb-img001.JPG

gunsmoke-lamin-x-headlight-tint-17_1.jpg

I am taking donations to buy one of these.................

80 fucking grand that's a lot for a New Pickup

images

I just spent most of the day in one as a good friend has a 2013 and has tuned it with an upgraded exhaust, cold air intake, larger iintercooler, upgraded ignition coil, lighter alloy wheels, better tires, and a few other mods. It puts out over three hundred horsepower now. I've driven it and it is a blast, and handles very well. It is also a relatively practical daily driver as it has four doors, and the hatch so you can actually put stuff in it.

I forgot to mention, in addition to the above he's got a Stage II tune. There seems to be a lot of after market support for this car, and the performance for the dollar is pretty high.

I just spent most of the day in one as a good friend has a 2013 and has tuned it with an upgraded exhaust, cold air intake, larger iintercooler, upgraded ignition coil, lighter alloy wheels, better tires, and a few other mods. It puts out over three hundred horsepower now. I've driven it and it is a blast, and handles very well. It is also a relatively practical daily driver as it has four doors, and the hatch so you can actually put stuff in it.

I forgot to mention, in addition to the above he's got a Stage II tune. There seems to be a lot of after market support for this car, and the performance for the dollar is pretty high.
I assume he probably has a Cobb or Mountune kit/tune on it?

I want to say it is a Cobb, but I am not sure. I know you can dial in different tunes with the unit, but also have to have the supporting cast of other upgrades to support the higher levels, hence the bigger intercooler, and the other things. I will have to ask him.

He was looking at other "Hot Hatches" including the GTI, and others. The ST's aren't really that common, but if you look you can find them used. There is a performance Fiesta that is similar in concept but smaller. The RS is just sick!

I think most hatchbacks look terrible, but i love these turbo charged ST's. They come out of the factory with a top speed of 155 mph, but its really easy to tune them for A LOT more horsepower, though most of that power goes towards 2-4th gear, but thats where you spend most of your driving.

I was thinking i was going to buy a Honda Accord Coupe, but i think ill get one of these instead and have it tuned by Ford Performance, which doesnt void the warranty.

I always called them the "Ford Fuckus".

The only Ford CAR I every really liked was the Shelby Cobra.

a2836415805aba3bbaabb3d56994a61a.jpg

Last edited:

I want to say it is a Cobb, but I am not sure. I know you can dial in different tunes with the unit, but also have to have the supporting cast of other upgrades to support the higher levels, hence the bigger intercooler, and the other things. I will have to ask him.

He was looking at other "Hot Hatches" including the GTI, and others. The ST's aren't really that common, but if you look you can find them used. There is a performance Fiesta that is similar in concept but smaller. The RS is just sick!
Yeah, intercoolers, cold plugs and quality air filters is where you start, then better motor mounts, blow off valve, and when it gets faster you need better breaks, and if you want it to sound great you need a good catback exhaust, etc, etc, etc. I may end up putting a couple grand into it after everything is said and done.

Last edited:

I am taking donations to buy one of these.................

80 fucking grand that's a lot for a New Pickup

images

Buy a Tundra and put one of these on it and you'll blow away the Raptor for far less money.
01-19-57-107-BL-2.jpg

All the photos are of what would have been a heart throb for a sixteen year old boy in nineteen sixty-six.

Yeah, intercoolers, cold plugs and quality air filters is where you start, then better motor mounts, blow off valve, and when it gets faster you need better breaks, and if you want it to sound great you need a good catback exhaust, etc, etc, etc. I may end up putting a couple grand into it after everything is said and done.

You know your stuff. When we were out an about the other day we stopped at a performance shop and picked up and upgraded blow off valve. Not a 50/50 but a better one as these seem to be a weak link with the ST's. That and a better ignition coil. Yes, all the upgrades can add up to at least $2500 - $3000 so far. Maybe more with the exhaust which was already installed when he bought it. It has a nice exhaust note too. You can go crazy with this stuff.

It is definitely a Cobb tuner that my friend has.

I assume he has the Cobb Accessport. These are really cool. You can have multiple tunes programmed in them. You can have 1 tune to give you really good gas mileage, another tune for pure speed, and another with less speed for when your wife drives it. They cost $500, but they are well worth it.

AP3-SUB_gallery_01.jpg

Last edited:
Im super bummed. It turns out that these mods significantly raise you insurance rates. I figured there would be a bump in the rate, but my research suggests it could be an 80-90% increase.

I assume he has the Cobb Accessport. These are really cool. You can have multiple tunes programmed in them. You can have 1 tune to give you really good gas mileage, another tune for pure speed, and another with less speed for when your wife drives it. They cost $500, but they are well worth it.

AP3-SUB_gallery_01.jpg

I had one of those for my Mazdaspeed3. One of the most fun cars I've had.

Im super bummed. It turns out that these mods significantly raise you insurance rates. I figured there would be a bump in the rate, but my research suggests it could be an 80-90% increase.

Dont tell em.
I added a blower to my Tacoma,a tune and several other things and just didnt tell em.

I never ever had even thought about telling my insurance company. Had two Integra's (one bolt on, one boosted), a Miata, a Mazdaspeed3, Camaro SS, Chevy Silverado, and an F150 Ecoboost all which I'd done some level of modding to.

Forum List

Back