How can I put audio files in a post?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I found some cd's of classic KQ morning show bits that I'd like to share here, because they're hilarious-a few Clinton bits, and other random humor. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this. Can I just save it to media player then set it as an attachment?

Thanks in advance for the help!

fuzzykitten99 said:
I found some cd's of classic KQ morning show bits that I'd like to share here, because they're hilarious-a few Clinton bits, and other random humor. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this. Can I just save it to media player then set it as an attachment?

You can rip them to mp3 and then attach them, however, being that they're cd's, it might be against the law to do so...

The ClayTaurus said:
You can rip them to mp3 and then attach them, however, being that they're cd's, it might be against the law to do so...
ahhh...never thought about that. i dunno if anyone would really care or even notice since these cd's are well out of production, no longer available in store or anywhere really. i found them at a thrift store a few years ago, but then forgot about them, and just recently found them again.

fuzzykitten99 said:
ahhh...never thought about that. i dunno if anyone would really care or even notice since these cd's are well out of production, no longer available in store or anywhere really. i found them at a thrift store a few years ago, but then forgot about them, and just recently found them again.
Probably a hassle worth avoiding; the weirdest people sue over the weirdest things. No chance of finding the clips online anywhere, is there?

The ClayTaurus said:
Probably a hassle worth avoiding; the weirdest people sue over the weirdest things. No chance of finding the clips online anywhere, is there?
unfortunately not. they don't keep these bits on their site for very long. Plus these are ones from like 6-8 years ago. Is it against the law even if the bits are from recordings of their past radio shows, that I could have just as easily recorded myself?

fuzzykitten99 said:
unfortunately not. they don't keep these bits on their site for very long. Plus these are ones from like 6-8 years ago. Is it against the law even if the bits are from recordings of their past radio shows, that I could have just as easily recorded myself?
Not totally sure, but I'm guessing yes. Just like you can't record a football game and rebroadcast it. Not completely up to date on the copywrite law in this area though, but I'm pretty sure there's some risk associated. I suppose if Jim doesn't care, he can just say so. It's his board, after all.

The ClayTaurus said:
Not totally sure, but I'm guessing yes. Just like you can't record a football game and rebroadcast it. Not completely up to date on the copywrite law in this area though, but I'm pretty sure there's some risk associated. I suppose if Jim doesn't care, he can just say so. It's his board, after all.
i'll let him decide then. if anything, i can rip a copy of all the best bits and send it as well.

fuzzykitten99 said:

You could always try something similar to picvault.info. Some of those sites host all sorts of files, not just pictures. It would probably take awhile to upload.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i'll let him decide then. if anything, i can rip a copy of all the best bits and send it as well.
And who knows what happens in PM... wink wink nod nod

The ClayTaurus said:

According to the copyright act of 1977, portions of a copyrighted work may be used without permission as part of a public critique or review. Portions may also be used for parody. I've been an advocate for looser copyright laws ever since I was old enough to know what 'advocate' meant. ;)

Hobbit said:
According to the copyright act of 1977, portions of a copyrighted work may be used without permission as part of a public critique or review. Portions may also be used for parody. I've been an advocate for looser copyright laws ever since I was old enough to know what 'advocate' meant. ;)

ok, so it seems to be i would be in the clear, because i would not be posting the whole cd set, just a few bits...not all of the bits are that great, but many are.

ok, i will see if i can work this out tonight or maybe friday, since Tim won't be home to watch the rugrat for me.

Hobbit said:
Not everyone agrees with you:

Am I allowed to upload music from CDs I lawfully purchase onto Internet web sites?
No. When you purchase a legitimate CD from a store, you do not acquire the right to make copies for other people. While you are allowed to give away or sell (but not rent) your single copy of the CD to others, you are not allowed to copy the musical information contained on the CD for further distribution. The uploading of music to a web site without the express authorization of the copyright owner, using MP3 technology or any other mechanism, is a violation of the copyright laws and may subject you to monetary damages, an injunction and even criminal penalties.

Is it a "fair use" to send MP3 files to my friends as long as I don’t charge a fee?
No. Many people frequently confuse the concept of "fair use" and believe that as long as they are not profiting from copies of copyrighted material, their conduct is legal. This is not accurate. Although it is true that the unauthorized copying, public performance and distribution of copyrighted musical material for profit is almost always an infringement, it is not true that the absence of a profit motive eliminates the possibility of infringement. The "free of charge" copying and distribution of music by consumers comes at a significant cost to artists, writers and musicians – namely, lost sales based on the dissemination of free copies. It is almost always the case that the distribution of unauthorized copies of musical recordings – even if to your friends and even if for free – constitutes copyright infringement and is not a "fair use."
http://www.gtlaw.com/pub/articles/1999/rosenbloum99a.htm

A U.S. federal court ruled on Friday that MP3.com Inc. (NASDAQ:MPPP) violated copyright law with the creation of its database in which users can store music and then access it via any computer connected to the Internet.

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit filed by the world's largest record labels which said that the database of more than 80,000 copyrighted albums, part of the online music downloading company's http://my.mp3.com service, represented copyright infringement.

The database is part of the San Diego, Calif.'s company's software that allows computer users who own one of these recordings to listen to the albums over the Internet from any computer.

Judge Jed Rakoff of U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York issued a terse order holding MP3.com "liable for copyright infringement." The suit sought to shut down the service.

The crux of the legal issue was whether MP3.com violated copyright law with the creation of the database, even though the my.mp3.com service cannot work unless the user owns an original copy of the copyrighted work. Most of the other music that can be downloaded via MP3.com is from acts that are not under contract with a record label.
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/pressrel.nsf/articles/0084CD298D6C3063862568CF007163E5

At the very least, it's not cut and dry, and it could create hassle for Jim. Like I said, he probably should decide whether or not they should be uploaded, because it'll be his headache should some asshole decide to sue.

Forum List

Back