How are you Treated in Restaurants These Days?

If you are eating at a buffet, like Golden Corral, 15% isn't bad.

But if you are dining at a full service restaurant, 15% is abysmal. The wait staff don't get paid enough, and are expected to make it up in tips.
I don't like eating at full service restaurants. Too slow, too expensive, and too limited. I eat at the GC es because it is economical, healthful, and has plenty of options. There was a time I was eating there every weekday when I was working in that part of town. In and out in 15 minutes.

Why would you assume she is lying?
You just feel like she's hustling you. Like when a guy downtown comes up to you and starts telling you a story. You know the punchline will be he's asking you for money.

Last edited:
I don't like eating at full service restaurants. Too slow, too expensive, and too limited. I eat at the GC es because it is economical, healthful, and has plenty of options. There was a time I was eating there every weekday when I was working in that part of town. In and out in 15 minutes.

15 minutes for lunch or dinner? That's horrible.

When you eat at a place like the GC often, you see the little games they play. One favorite is when they're cleaning the table beside you, then shake their heads exaggeratedly and act disgusted. The person didn't leave them a tip. They want you to see that display and tip them extra. I take care of waiters, but I don't want to be manipulated.

I learned how to cook a steak just as well as they do at Outback during the pandemic.....and I don't feel like paying $100 for a sit down meal.
It's like I don't go to the movies anymore because my 65" flat-panel 4DK UHD TV looks better than a movie screen at a big theater.
Good. I feared you’d say you were afraid of the virus.

I learned how to cook a steak just as well as they do at Outback during the pandemic.....and I don't feel like paying $100 for a sit down meal.
It's like I don't go to the movies anymore because my 65" flat-panel 4DK UHD TV looks better than a movie screen at a big theater.
I have been learning to cook for years. But the covid lockdowns did increase it.

I don't go out for a steak any more. Like you, I can do better at home.

But I do like to eat out locally. Mostly Mexican, Chinese or BBQ. And occasionally a nicer place for seafood.

I work for tips. People are tipping better than they were a year ago.

I don’t think it is because the service is getting better. I think customers in my area are sharing in the inflation. Being in the food industry used to be considered bottom of the barrel but at this moment it is the place to be. I’m not sure how long that trend will last.

Not only are tips getting better but customer’s expectations are lower. Long waits are the norm. COVID really changed how food service employees are treated.

Forum List

Back