How are you going to thank a Vet this weekend?

S

Shattered

4 of us got together, combined forces and incomes, got a stack of $5 bills, went around to all the cities gas stations, department stores, grocery stores, etc. that had Vets standing outside with their collection cans. Gave each of them a cup of coffee, a donut, $5 as a donation, thanked them profusely, collected our poppy, and quietly left.

Sunday night, those poppies will be attached to a single red, white, or blue carnation. Monday, they will be dropped off, one by one, on the headstone of as many deceased Military personnel as we have enough for, starting with those that have no floral bouquets already, due to the fact that they may have no family left, or maybe nobody just gives a rip.

So, rather than sitting here bickering about who's right all weekend (you know who you are), what are YOU going to do to thank a Vet?

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Shattered said:
4 of us got together, combined forces and incomes, got a stack of $5 bills, went around to all the cities gas stations, department stores, grocery stores, etc. that had Vets standing outside with their collection cans. Gave each of them a cup of coffee, a donut, $5 as a donation, thanked them profusely, collected our poppy, and quietly left.

Sunday night, those poppies will be attached to a single red, white, or blue carnation. Monday, they will be dropped off, one by one, on the headstone of as many deceased Military personnel as we have enough for, starting with those that have no floral bouquets already, due to the fact that they may have no family left, or maybe nobody just gives a rip.

So, rather than sitting here bickering about who's right all weekend (you know who you are), what are YOU going to do to thank a Vet?

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Very good. Excellent!

I do this all the time actually.

If I see someone who I know is a veteran or actively in the service (in uniform, etc), I always make a point of stopping them, shaking their hand, and telling them Thank You.

I have bought lunches/dinners/ice cream cones (depending on where I see them) - just little things.

I figure any postive recognition will go a long way.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was at the mall and saw a young Marine in his service uniform walking with his mom. I am assuming he is back from basic training on a short leave before his technical training school.

As I walked toward him, I said "Marine!" They both kind of stopped with a bit of an apprehensive/shocked look on both their faces.

I put my hand out and said, "I just want to thank you for your service to our country. Especially in today's times, what are you doing - it is above and beyond. Thank you."

I looked at his mom and said, "When you hear a lot of people bashing the military, do not listen to them. You are proud of your son. And there are a lot of people in the United States who are equally as proud. That is what matters.

He said "Thank you, sir." She said thanks with a tear in her eye.

I'm going to have a great bbq...take in a veterans parade...take the kids to the lake and enjoy my family,boat and all the freedom I and others fought for... :mm:

I will go to my family's gravesites and give some thanks for the men who served before me.

Grandfather (WWII - Army Air, Translated for those released from camps, he spoke fluent Russian and German).
Father (Viet Nam, Navy Meteorologist).

:salute:

Forum List

Back