How are IQ tests considered racially biased?

There's nothing bias about iq test! It just shows a reality that the liberal doesn't want to be real.

What is YOUR IQ Matthew? Let's check that "liberal reality" against your reality! :lol:
Well, if youre black, its probably about 20 points higher than yours. :laugh:
HAHA! How wrong you are godBoy! If I were black, comparing my IQ to Matthew's; or, even yours for that matter, would be like comparing Ben Carson's IQ to George H.Bush's IQ.; Ben Carson's IQ being more representative of mine, mind you!
You both are neo- "conservatives," so, that alone limits your IQ by at least one standard deviation below the norm:lol:

HAHA! How wrong you are godBoy! If I were black, comparing my IQ to Matthew's; or, even yours for that matter, would be like comparing Ben Carson's IQ to George H.Bush's IQ.; Ben Carson's IQ being more representative of mine, mind you!
You both are neo- "conservatives," so, that alone limits your IQ by at least one standard deviation below the norm:lol:
That's rather odd. If you are black, the odds are decidedly that your IQ is lower than theirs if they're white.

I think making the case that you are one of those few blacks with IQ over 100 is pretty hopeless.

That's rather odd. If you are black, the odds are decidedly that your IQ is lower than theirs if they're white.

I think making the case that you are one of those few blacks with IQ over 100 is pretty hopeless.
There are millions of Blacks with IQ's above the norm of 100 and there are millions of Whites with IQs below the norm. When you wager, using those odds, you had better be acutely aware of your location. USMB isn't a wise choice of locale on for you to place your bet. The Blacks here, demonstrably, are all highly intelligent. Far more intelligent than the race obsessed "conservatives" that linger here constantly.

There are millions of Blacks with IQ's above the norm of 100 and there are millions of Whites with IQs below the norm. When you wager, using those odds, you had better be acutely aware of your location. USMB isn't a wise choice of locale on for you to place your bet. The Blacks here, demonstrably, are all highly intelligent. Far more intelligent than the race obsessed "conservatives" that linger here constantly.
Nice. Maybe a million blacks in the US have an IQ over 100 who are joined by about 100 million or so whites.

There is precious little in anything you've contributed here that leads anyone to believe that you are one of the relatively few blacks to have an IQ of 100 or over.

Nice. Maybe a million blacks in the US have an IQ over 100 who are joined by about 100 million or so whites.

There is precious little in anything you've contributed here that leads anyone to believe that you are one of the relatively few blacks to have an IQ of 100 or over.
Since I never claimed to be Black, I have to agree with you.

"all"? Don't sink to meathead's level of illogic and ignorance.

And YOU have done nothing to suggest yours is over 10, you idiot.

Exceptions do not disprove the rule.

Your "rule" is based on biased sampling; the methodology of which is never mentioned or revealed. From that perspective the only acceptable axiom is the reality of what we see unfolding in plain view: the rise of cognitive exceptionalism in African immigrants and the resurgence of genius in blacks here and abroad.

Im not trying to belittle black performance but you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of the actual abilities of blacks, and claiming that the differences are just an artifact of biased sampling practices is ridiculous.

let's look at AP classes. the best and brightest high school students test themselves against college level courses. blacks are only half as likely to take the test by percentage of the school population, when they do participate they take more language and art classes rather than math and sciences, and their resulting grades are much lower overall.

apscoringdistributionchart.gif

the white scores form a normal (Bell) curve. the black scores are heavily shifted to the left.

here are the participation numbers -

AP-studentparticipationfigure.gif

surely you can see that even when the top range (<6%) of black students are taken, and 'easier' courses are attempted, the black results are still disappointing.

New Study Gives Black Parents Yet Another Reason to Consider Homeschooling Their Children - Atlanta Blackstar

You seem to be rather closed minded as to the potential of native born Black students. The key word here is "potential." Regardless of the implications illustrated in your 2006 charts, concerning AP testing, that was 9 years ago. There have been improvements since then.

Having witnessed the academic achievements of African immigrants over the last decade or so, my faith in the potential of Black students has been rekindled. Although native born Blacks appear to be lagging
behind with Mexicans, African immigrants have caused Black scholarship to be re-evaluated. Their academic surge has destroyed the myth of black mental inferiority. .. at least for objective pundits.

Here is more proof that justifies my claim of biased sampling or possibly outright lies in arriving at dismal test scores for Blacks. At the very least the following narrative should warrant a closer look at a process where statistics generated about Blacks are controlled by people who are not Black.

New Study Gives Black Parents Yet Another Reason to Consider Homeschooling Their Children
The Black homeschool children’s high achievement test scores were remarkable,” Dr. Brian Ray, president of NHERI, noted in a press release. “Parents without teaching certificates helping their children from a traditionally low-achieving minority group excel this way should cause all educators and social advocacy groups to take special note.”

In reading, math and language achievement tests, Black homeschooled students were meeting or surpassing the median test scores for all students across the nation.
“They scored at or above the 50th percentile in reading (68th), language (56th), math (50th), and core (i.e., a combination of reading, language, and math; 58th) subtests,” the study revealed. “By definition the 50th percentile is the mean for all students (of all ethnicities/races) nationwide in institutional public schools.
You realize that goes for all home schooled kids? Doesn't really prove anything about black IQ vs white. White intelligence is far superior on average.
If homeschooling, or something akin to it, is working to stimulate or enhance learning among black children i want to see more of it. You, the curmudgeon, would connive to trivialize the proponents of even that promising aspiration.

But even in your facetious rebuttal, I see a modicum of agreement. You said all home schooled kids produce similar results. You did not say other home schooled groups scores are better than home schooled Black children. For me, that is saying a lot. In your own words you have given testimony that home schooling puts black children on par with other home schooled children and produces scores above the national average in achievement tests.
I'm not going to make a claim that they are put on par with whites or not through homeschooling. If you can find research to prove this a post it then do so. Being in the top 50% through homeschooling is lower than the white percentages that I have seen though. You are reading way too far into my comment.

"all"? Don't sink to meathead's level of illogic and ignorance.

Is that even possible? :lol:

Your "rule" is based on biased sampling; the methodology of which is never mentioned or revealed. From that perspective the only acceptable axiom is the reality of what we see unfolding in plain view: the rise of cognitive exceptionalism in African immigrants and the resurgence of genius in blacks here and abroad.

Im not trying to belittle black performance but you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of the actual abilities of blacks, and claiming that the differences are just an artifact of biased sampling practices is ridiculous.

let's look at AP classes. the best and brightest high school students test themselves against college level courses. blacks are only half as likely to take the test by percentage of the school population, when they do participate they take more language and art classes rather than math and sciences, and their resulting grades are much lower overall.

the white scores form a normal (Bell) curve. the black scores are heavily shifted to the left.

surely you can see that even when the top range (<6%) of black students are taken, and 'easier' courses are attempted, the black results are still disappointing.

New Study Gives Black Parents Yet Another Reason to Consider Homeschooling Their Children - Atlanta Blackstar

You seem to be rather closed minded as to the potential of native born Black students. The key word here is "potential." Regardless of the implications illustrated in your 2006 charts, concerning AP testing, that was 9 years ago. There have been improvements since then.

Having witnessed the academic achievements of African immigrants over the last decade or so, my faith in the potential of Black students has been rekindled. Although native born Blacks appear to be lagging
behind with Mexicans, African immigrants have caused Black scholarship to be re-evaluated. Their academic surge has destroyed the myth of black mental inferiority. .. at least for objective pundits.

Here is more proof that justifies my claim of biased sampling or possibly outright lies in arriving at dismal test scores for Blacks. At the very least the following narrative should warrant a closer look at a process where statistics generated about Blacks are controlled by people who are not Black.

New Study Gives Black Parents Yet Another Reason to Consider Homeschooling Their Children
The Black homeschool children’s high achievement test scores were remarkable,” Dr. Brian Ray, president of NHERI, noted in a press release. “Parents without teaching certificates helping their children from a traditionally low-achieving minority group excel this way should cause all educators and social advocacy groups to take special note.”

In reading, math and language achievement tests, Black homeschooled students were meeting or surpassing the median test scores for all students across the nation.
“They scored at or above the 50th percentile in reading (68th), language (56th), math (50th), and core (i.e., a combination of reading, language, and math; 58th) subtests,” the study revealed. “By definition the 50th percentile is the mean for all students (of all ethnicities/races) nationwide in institutional public schools.
You realize that goes for all home schooled kids? Doesn't really prove anything about black IQ vs white. White intelligence is far superior on average.
If homeschooling, or something akin to it, is working to stimulate or enhance learning among black children i want to see more of it. You, the curmudgeon, would connive to trivialize the proponents of even that promising aspiration.

But even in your facetious rebuttal, I see a modicum of agreement. You said all home schooled kids produce similar results. You did not say other home schooled groups scores are better than home schooled Black children. For me, that is saying a lot. In your own words you have given testimony that home schooling puts black children on par with other home schooled children and produces scores above the national average in achievement tests.
I'm not going to make a claim that they are put on par with whites or not through homeschooling. If you can find research to prove this a post it then do so. Being in the top 50% through homeschooling is lower than the white percentages that I have seen though. You are reading way too far into my comment.

Whoa! I posted a link about the success of Black home schooling already. You countered without providing a link. Let's get over that hump first! Put up or shut up!

Black-White IQ Differences
Daniel Seligman
Black-White IQ Differences

There is no getting around certain large and troubling implications of black-white differences. The implications seem most troubling when you turn from the average differences and focus instead on the differences at the extreme -- when you contrast the two overlapping bell-shaped distribution curves and look at the proportions in each group scoring above and below certain levels. If you tell yourself that the top professional and managerial jobs in this country require an IQ of at least 115 or thereabouts, then you also have to tell yourself that only about 2.5% of blacks appear able to compete for those jobs. The comparable figure for whites would be about 16%.

Total black population with IQs over 115: 800,000. Comparable figure for whites: about 30 million.
If blacks had the same IQ distribution as whites, the black total would be over 5 million.

bell.gif

The data are even more Depressing on the downside. An IQ in the 70-75 range, which many psychologists would label "borderline retarded," implies a life that is guaranteed to be short of opportunities. Very few students in that range will absorb much of what elementary schools teach, and virtually none will graduate from high school; few will succeed in finding and keeping good jobs. None will be admitted into the armed forces (required by law to screen out the lowest ten percent of the distribution). The bad news is that a substantial minority -- apparently More than One in Five -- of American blacks have IQs below 75.
Around One in Twenty whites are below 75.
[.....]
The black-white gap is 15 points when measured on the Wechsler tests, 18 on the Stanford-Binet. Both tests are, of course, normed so as to produce an average of 100, but the white average is a bit higher. On the Wechsler metric, whites and blacks average 102 and 87, respectively. On both tests, the gap between the races is almost exactly 1 SD (standard deviation). The gap of 1 SD has been observed since the earliest days of intelligence testing.
[......]
Excerpted from A Question of Intelligence: The IQ Debate in America (New York: Birch Lane, 1992), 150-153.
- - - - - - -

Higher Testosterone, Lower IQ.
Dangerous combination - Thus Prison stats.
`

Last edited:

Whoa! I posted a link about the success of Black home schooling already. You countered without providing a link. Let's get over that hump first! Put up or shut up!

HSLDA New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

1361915865_7922_graph.JPG

here is one study from the pro- homeschooling side. I am sure you could find weaker results from a group that was anti-homeschooling.

your Atlanta op-ed had black home schooled children just over the average 50th percentile rather than the 80th percentile mark found in many studies of home schooled children. to me, that implies that black HSed children do better than regular schooled black children (perhaps even at the 80+ percentile if compared only to other black children) but they still have a deficit that is most likely caused by a lower average IQ.

There are myriad studies out there,but none can refute the new evidence suggesting Black African Immigrants are, as a group, the best performers in academia everywhere they go. Being the most educated group in America and in the UK has incredible implications pertaining to IQ.African born blacks residing in western countries as a group possess IQs that are between 5 points and a full standard deviation (15 IQ points) above that of whites living in these countries. So that the median IQ for African blacks residing in the west should be about 110, if one accepts that research suggesting direct casual relationships between academic attainment levels and IQ (e.g. Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999)

Many IQ advocates argue that a general index of cognitive ability is the single best predictor of virtually all criteria considered necessary for success in life in the Western part of the developed world (Schmidt, Ones & Hunter, 1992), and maintain that the average undergraduate, “those who graduate from college or university”, must possess an IQ that is on average no lower than 115 (Ostrowsky, 1999; Gottfredson, 1998), while individuals who are able to obtain a graduate level degree must on average possess an IQ in the range of 125 (Gottfredson, 1998). African immigrants are overwhelmingly meeting the prerequisites of that model in the USA and the UK.

BLACK AFRICAN IMMIGRANTS SIGNIFICANTLY EXCEED WHITES IN LEVEL OF EDUCATION:

African-born blacks comprise about 16 percent of the U.S. foreign-born black population (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000), and are “considerably” more educated than other immigrants. The vast majority of these immigrants come from minority white countries in East and West Africa (e.g. Kenya and Nigeria). While less than 2 percent originate from North or South Africa (CIA World Factbook, 2004; Yearbook of immigration Statistics, 2003). An analysis of Census Bureau data by The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education (1999-2000) and the “Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban and Regional Research” (2003) find that Black African immigrants to the United States are more likely to be college educated than ‘any’ other immigrant group, which included those from Europe, North America and Asia (see also Nisbett, 2002; U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). African immigrants have also been shown to be more highly educated than any native-born ethnic group including white and Asian Americans (Logan & Deane, 2003; Williams, 2005; The Economist, 1996; Arthur, 2000; Selassie, 1998; Nisbett, 2002).

here is one study from the pro- homeschooling side. I am sure you could find weaker results from a group that was anti-homeschooling.

your Atlanta op-ed had black home schooled children just over the average 50th percentile rather than the 80th percentile mark found in many studies of home schooled children. to me, that implies that black HSed children do better than regular schooled black children (perhaps even at the 80+ percentile if compared only to other black children) but they still have a deficit that is most likely caused by a lower average IQ.

The article I cited indicated:

Your data seems to contradict the article. OK... but did you miss this chart on your linked site?:

figure6.gif

HSLDA Home Education Across the United States

Your trite comment about believing low IQ has something to do with any test disparity is suspiciously ominous; and, is tinged with a haughtiness bordering on disdain. I don't know what "race" you are but it is evident you think yours is intellectually superior, on average, to Blacks in the USA and in Africa. For me, the academic showing of African Immigrants should dispel any the notion of Black mental inferiority due to IQ. IQ is a variable that can be improved with learning. Again, by ignoring the potential of Blacks, as demonstrated by pure Black African immigrants, your world view is putting you in a rapidly dwindling minority.

There are myriad studies out there,but none can refute the new evidence suggesting Black African Immigrants are, as a group, the best performers in academia everywhere they go. Being the most educated group in America and in the UK has incredible implications pertaining to IQ.African born blacks residing in western countries as a group possess IQs that are between 5 points and a full standard deviation (15 IQ points) above that of whites living in these countries. So that the median IQ for African blacks residing in the west should be about 110, if one accepts that research suggesting direct casual relationships between academic attainment levels and IQ (e.g. Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999)

Many IQ advocates argue that a general index of cognitive ability is the single best predictor of virtually all criteria considered necessary for success in life in the Western part of the developed world (Schmidt, Ones & Hunter, 1992), and maintain that the average undergraduate, “those who graduate from college or university”, must possess an IQ that is on average no lower than 115 (Ostrowsky, 1999; Gottfredson, 1998), while individuals who are able to obtain a graduate level degree must on average possess an IQ in the range of 125 (Gottfredson, 1998). African immigrants are overwhelmingly meeting the prerequisites of that model in the USA and the UK.

BLACK AFRICAN IMMIGRANTS SIGNIFICANTLY EXCEED WHITES IN LEVEL OF EDUCATION:

African-born blacks comprise about 16 percent of the U.S. foreign-born black population (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000), and are “considerably” more educated than other immigrants. The vast majority of these immigrants come from minority white countries in East and West Africa (e.g. Kenya and Nigeria). While less than 2 percent originate from North or South Africa (CIA World Factbook, 2004; Yearbook of immigration Statistics, 2003). An analysis of Census Bureau data by The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education (1999-2000) and the “Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban and Regional Research” (2003) find that Black African immigrants to the United States are more likely to be college educated than ‘any’ other immigrant group, which included those from Europe, North America and Asia (see also Nisbett, 2002; U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). African immigrants have also been shown to be more highly educated than any native-born ethnic group including white and Asian Americans (Logan & Deane, 2003; Williams, 2005; The Economist, 1996; Arthur, 2000; Selassie, 1998; Nisbett, 2002).

I think you are unable to understand the concept of 'restriction of range'. you cannot compare the type of person who emmigrates to get a degree in a foreign country to the average population of that country. if you turned the tables and compared foreign students going to South African Universities with the ordinary South African populace, what would you find? a lot bigger gap than your scenario.

I also read your africaresource.com article that you quoted. you must be careful of op-eds that say one thing and then supposedly link to papers supporting their point of view. most of those links were taken out of context, simply words copied, and contrary to ideas in the paper quoted.

Is Family Income a Predictor of Academic Achievement for Home Schoolers?

Segmenting student test scores by family income shows that socioeconomic status is not a determinant of academic performance for home schoolers (Figure 8.0). Regardless of family income bracket, home school students score between the 82nd and 92nd percentiles.

According to some researchers and officials, family income has a significant impact on public school students’ scores. Concerned about a recent study of student achievement in the Denver public schools, a school board member wrote, “The conclusion is clear. Family income and class are stronger indicators of education success than race.”2

Obviously, the Denver school board member was unaware of the dramatic benefits afforded by home schooling. Considering the opportunity to learn in an environment free of bullying, racism and other distractions, race and income become non-factors in attaining higher academic goals.

I think you are unable to understand the concept of 'restriction of range'. you cannot compare the type of person who emmigrates to get a degree in a foreign country to the average population of that country. if you turned the tables and compared foreign students going to South African Universities with the ordinary South African populace, what would you find? a lot bigger gap than your scenario.

I also read your africaresource.com article that you quoted. you must be careful of op-eds that say one thing and then supposedly link to papers supporting their point of view. most of those links were taken out of context, simply words copied, and contrary to ideas in the paper quoted.

I think you are unable to understand that the same genes that produced the brilliant Africans who are excelling in the UK and America academically are just the tip of the cognitive iceberg. Again, the potential of the general Black populations here and in Africa has been raised by their academic prowess.

Your "restriction of range" certainly wasn't evoked when Asian Immigrants were given their due in the academic world.
How convenient for you to throw that out there now.

If you think any of my sources were taken out of context it is up to you to prove it. Just saying so doesn't really mean that much to me or any one reading this exchange. When you do that, I have nothing to rebut but your personal opinion. Give me something of substance so I can see for myself if you are right or wrong.

The most striking remark you have made thus far is one the most worthy of further redress:

IanC said:
if you turned the tables and compared foreign students going to South African Universities with the ordinary South African populace, what would you find? a lot bigger gap than your scenario.

The comparisons were of two distinct populations. Not all Africans are immigrating to go to universities; but. proportionally, these Black African communities are more educated than any other groups; American natives as well as immigrants from Europe, Asia, India and North Africans. As their numbers increase and their families grow, the effects of that brilliance will be reflected in future generations to come.

The potential is astounding: There is nothing you can say or do to change the fact that some of the world's brightest and best are coming out of sub-Saharan Africa. Given the dismal picture portrayed in various media sources around the world about Africa, this is a breath of fresh air and one of the best public relations events imaginable.

I think you are unable to understand that the same genes that produced the brilliant Africans who are excelling in the UK and America academically are just the tip of the cognitive iceberg. Again, the potential of the general Black populations here and in Africa has been raised by their academic prowess.

Your "restriction of range" certainly wasn't evoked when Asian Immigrants were given their due in the academic world.

If you think any of my sources were taken out of context it is up to you to prove it. Just saying so doesn't really mean that much to me or any one reading this exchange. When you do that, I have nothing to rebut but your personal opinion. Give me something of substance so I can see for myself if you are right or wrong.

The most striking remark you have made thus far is one the most worthy of further redress:

IanC said:
if you turned the tables and compared foreign students going to South African Universities with the ordinary South African populace, what would you find? a lot bigger gap than your scenario.

The comparisons were of two distinct populations. Not all Africans are immigrating to go to universities; but. proportionally, these Black African communities are more educated than any other groups; American natives as well as immigrants from Europe, Asia, India and North Africans. As their numbers increase and their families grow, the effects of that brilliance will be reflected in future generations to come.

The potential is astounding: There is nothing you can say or do to change the fact that some of the world's brightest and best are coming out of sub-Saharan Africa. Given the dismal picture portrayed in various media sources around the world about Africa, this is a breath of fresh air and one of the best public relations events imaginable.

Does the source you site consider/address the obvious answer that the process of getting from Africa to the US or UK acts as a "test" that only the brightest of the want to be immigrants can pass?

What we should do is dumb down all schools in America till the ignorant kids can keep up. Oh wait we did that, how's that working for us so far?

IanC said:

Does the source you site consider/address the obvious answer that the process of getting from Africa to the US or UK acts as a "test" that only the brightest of the want to be immigrants can pass?

Where did your information come from? Is that just a hunch or do you have a link?

Forum List

Back