How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

Too many underestimate fire and don't understand how it works.
I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?
in California?....i have never seen one out here....
We're talking about Missouri

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.
Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Maybe try saying something informed?

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

upload_2017-10-12_16-26-2.jpeg

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.

Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.

This place doesn't have fire department infrastructure? Sup?

As a person who has had to deal with the assholes for nigh on 30 years now, yeah. It will. I live in the forest and have kept my area clear for decades, along with my neighbors. Lately though the environmentalists threaten to sue you if you make plans to do a cleanup. We had a very bad fire here in 2007 and the severity of the fire was greatly increased thanks to environmentalists making it nearly impossible to clear away deadfall. Even on private property. The article below treats them in a very soft way, and I can tell you that they are lying through their teeth when they claim to not be the reason for the lack of clearance.

LAKE TAHOE / Forest practices blamed for fire get critical eye

Catastrophic Wildfires? Thank the Greenies and Forest Service
Hmm, from what I am seeing, the experts , while they do acknowledge that thinning the forests and cleaning away dead matter would help, that droughts and climate change seem to be bigger factors. That tells me that blaming this all on environmentalists is not a rational, scientific thing to do, but rather a political thing to do.

The droughts are normal. I bet you have never heard that the longest drought in Cali history lasted for over 200 years. Climate change is blamed for everything, and if you are familiary with the old adage if something is blamed for everything, the reality is it is responsible for none of it comes to mind. The normal life cycle of many Cali plants REQUIRES fire. That is how regular fires are in Cali. What is not normal is the environmentalists preventing the deadfall from being cleared away.

THAT is the un normal part of the equation.
That's not what I am hearing from the experts. while the existence of droughts may be normal, the intensity and duration of this latest CA drought is being labeled somewhat out of the ordinary, and the worst in 1200 years. By the way, the people that taught you everything you know about droughts, past and present, are climate scientists. it seems rather odd for you to make arguments based on the knowledge you gained from them, then to try to discredit them in the very next breath. And, by "odd", I mean utterly irrational.

And the experts are also highlighting the role climate change is playing... you'll have to understand that when some stranger on the internet (who has displayed his agenda very clearly in the past) tries to undermine them with anecdotes and sayings from embroidered pillows, it doesn't "move" me. Nothing personal.

The claim that it is the worst in 1200 years is laughable so I will classify the rest of what your "experts" claim the same way.

"California’s current drought is being billed as the driest period in the state’s recorded rainfall history. But scientists who study the West’s long-term climate patterns say the state has been parched for much longer stretches before that 163-year historical period began.

And they worry that the “megadroughts” typical of California’s earlier history could come again.

Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.

“We continue to run California as if the longest drought we are ever going to encounter is about seven years,” said Scott Stine, a professor of geography and environmental studies at Cal State East Bay. “We’re living in a dream world.”

California in 2013 received less rain than in any year since it became a state in 1850. And at least one Bay Area scientist says that based on tree ring data, the current rainfall season is on pace to be the driest since 1580 — more than 150 years before George Washington was born. The question is: How much longer will it last?"

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say – The Mercury News
"The claim that it is the worst in 1200 years is laughable so I will classify the rest of what your "experts" claim the same way."

Of course you will, because you always look for a reason to dismiss any disagreement "wholesale".... as if one expert opinion i presented has any bearing on any other. How irrational of you.

I look forward to your published science which shows these scientists to be incorrect. But, i won't hold my breath. In fat, none of your opinions on any of this seem to be "filtering down" (as you seem to see it, with your slight delusions of grandeur) to the scientific community at all. I guess, in the end, scientists don't have much use for your politics and superstitions.

When an "expert" makes a claim that is so completely ludicrous as this, they have removed themselves from being taken seriously. That's the problem with people like you, you can't think critically on your own, so you trust in high priests and other magicians to tell you what to think.

Plus, it is not just us that just moved here. We have no clue of secret passable roads. One way out. I have to go down a dirt road because we are at the dead end of it...to ONE of the TWO main roads, and head north. No east. No west. Nothing but forest. And not being familiar...well...I guess we are fucked. But I guess we "should have known and are too stupid to leave".
If that's the case and you know your are locked in, yeah, you should have left.
We did not have to. It was in the lower part of town. We are in the upper. But if we had been told to leave, we would have. Problem is...HOW and WHICH WAY? North obviously, but we would be sitting ducks on that road along with THOUSANDS OF OTHERS in their cars.

Stop judging unless you stand in our shoes!
Ok, I understand, but if it's the way you say, you should have got out sooner, don't you think? You know that nature is unpredictable and the government cannot take care of us all, right? You have to do something to safeguard things, right?
I am not stupid. My van was packed and ready in case it creeped to upper town. And I googled while I had net service to see where to go. But if you want to just poke around, you can google yourself the town of Paradise. Then scroll in close. Dead end streets everywhere. No outlets. They built this town smack dab in the middle of a huge forest. I know two roads...Clark Rd and Pentz connect. Pentz goes southbound to Oroville. Clark connects to Skyway that goes straight north. But if folks in Oroville and Paradise and Chico are heading north from here...that is 200K people on a two lane highway....covered on both sides by ponderosa pines. Then google ponderosa pines. Pitch. Flammable.

We are not mountain people savvy yet. We are beach people. Fire break out, head to ocean. Nothing to burn there but sand. 30 years there, I knew every secret in and out. Here? Not so much. And housemate was stuck in Chico.

We survived. Many down the hill didn't.

According to Dana's "Two years before the mast" he visited California in, IIRC, 1840, and recounts of a climate of snow capped mountains and heavy rainy seasons. Wind, rain and other things. It's an interesting book and I may read it again.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Oh! You can't cut a line in a patch of trees! (Say the tree huggers)

So the whole damn thing burns.

Sad.

I cut 2 tons of tree today. It didn't cry, it thanked me.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.
"The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away."

So, when I go check the opinions of professionals from the USFS, and the universities in the west, and various scientists..... this is the dominating opinion I will find? I have a feeling they are going to put droughts and climate change above this as bigger problems.

As a person who has had to deal with the assholes for nigh on 30 years now, yeah. It will. I live in the forest and have kept my area clear for decades, along with my neighbors. Lately though the environmentalists threaten to sue you if you make plans to do a cleanup. We had a very bad fire here in 2007 and the severity of the fire was greatly increased thanks to environmentalists making it nearly impossible to clear away deadfall. Even on private property. The article below treats them in a very soft way, and I can tell you that they are lying through their teeth when they claim to not be the reason for the lack of clearance.

Hmm, from what I am seeing, the experts , while they do acknowledge that thinning the forests and cleaning away dead matter would help, that droughts and climate change seem to be bigger factors. That tells me that blaming this all on environmentalists is not a rational, scientific thing to do, but rather a political thing to do.

The droughts are normal. I bet you have never heard that the longest drought in Cali history lasted for over 200 years. Climate change is blamed for everything, and if you are familiary with the old adage if something is blamed for everything, the reality is it is responsible for none of it comes to mind. The normal life cycle of many Cali plants REQUIRES fire. That is how regular fires are in Cali. What is not normal is the environmentalists preventing the deadfall from being cleared away.

The normal part of the equation is low intensity- regular fires- burning away the deadfall. That is what has been taken away.

Humans clearing the deadfall by hand is not normal, not part of the cycle.

And yes despite how much you want to deny it- yeah the drought is hugely significant.

Plus, it is not just us that just moved here. We have no clue of secret passable roads. One way out. I have to go down a dirt road because we are at the dead end of it...to ONE of the TWO main roads, and head north. No east. No west. Nothing but forest. And not being familiar...well...I guess we are fucked. But I guess we "should have known and are too stupid to leave".
If that's the case and you know your are locked in, yeah, you should have left.
We did not have to. It was in the lower part of town. We are in the upper. But if we had been told to leave, we would have. Problem is...HOW and WHICH WAY? North obviously, but we would be sitting ducks on that road along with THOUSANDS OF OTHERS in their cars.

Stop judging unless you stand in our shoes!
Ok, I understand, but if it's the way you say, you should have got out sooner, don't you think? You know that nature is unpredictable and the government cannot take care of us all, right? You have to do something to safeguard things, right?
I am not stupid. My van was packed and ready in case it creeped to upper town. And I googled while I had net service to see where to go. But if you want to just poke around, you can google yourself the town of Paradise. Then scroll in close. Dead end streets everywhere. No outlets. They built this town smack dab in the middle of a huge forest. I know two roads...Clark Rd and Pentz connect. Pentz goes southbound to Oroville. Clark connects to Skyway that goes straight north. But if folks in Oroville and Paradise and Chico are heading north from here...that is 200K people on a two lane highway....covered on both sides by ponderosa pines. Then google ponderosa pines. Pitch. Flammable.

We are not mountain people savvy yet. We are beach people. Fire break out, head to ocean. Nothing to burn there but sand. 30 years there, I knew every secret in and out. Here? Not so much. And housemate was stuck in Chico.

We survived. Many down the hill didn't.
Good you got out. That kind of a thing I think would require a constant vigil and being ready to go. Glad you got out.

Here. Look again, people. THIS is what Westwall sees and drives every day. As do I and everyone else that lives here. Its like 500 people trying to get out a front door all at the same time.

Do we stay in our homes with hoses on the roof and ourselves and hope we survive..or do we sit in the middle of the road surrounded by thousands of other GAS FILLED cars stalled because nobody can move? I think I would rather stay home and take my own fate in my hands.

vfiles28014.jpg

According to Dana's "Two years before the mast" he visited California in, IIRC, 1840, and recounts of a climate of snow capped mountains and heavy rainy seasons. Wind, rain and other things. It's an interesting book and I may read it again.

Fascinating book- haven't read it in years- but I don't know where he would have seen any snow capped mountains- he never went farther inland than Los Angeles- maybe- maybe he might have seen snow on Mt. Baldy from Los Angeles- but that is about it.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.
"The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away."

So, when I go check the opinions of professionals from the USFS, and the universities in the west, and various scientists..... this is the dominating opinion I will find? I have a feeling they are going to put droughts and climate change above this as bigger problems.

The normal part of the equation is low intensity- regular fires- burning away the deadfall. That is what has been taken away.

Humans clearing the deadfall by hand is not normal, not part of the cycle.

And yes despite how much you want to deny it- yeah the drought is hugely significant.

Humans clearing the deadfall by hand may not be normal, but it is fucking essential when the decades of forest mismanagement are taken into account. Once the deadfall is removed you can then let the forest burn naturally again.

Of course the drought is significant, it is also completely natural. Anyone who claims that the drought is responsible for the severity of the fire is either delusional, or dishonest.

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?
Middle of the night when there was NO FIRE when you went to bed?

Proof?

View attachment 154034

Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

Problem is, you don't know where the opposite way is. Lighten up Grampa.
I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it
No, you don't understand it. You have never seen a fire run before a wind gusting to nearly 80 mph. You have never seen a large evergreen explode, and burning limbs as large as your arm carried for miles by that wind. And where they fall, a raging fire, many acres in size explode in minutes, and repeat the process all over again. So the fire that began ten minutes ago five ridges over, and ten miles away, is now in your front yard. And it is at night, you are already in bed, and you wake to the fact that your neighborhood is engulfed in fire. No, you don't understand, and you don't want to understand. You want to blame the victims so you can whine about paying taxes that aid your fellow Americans that have lost everything they own. You are a shameful person.
I never blamed the victims

Quotes the person whose thread starts off 'how are californians so stupid.....'

Most of the fires here aren't even "forests"...they are chapparel and scrub brush. People are told to clear and plant ice plant.....but sometimes, like in Santa Rosa....ain't nothing gonna stop it.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?
Most houses in CA don't have basements...they're on slabs.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

And firecuts are unnecessary?

Mr-Bean-mr--bean-166154_600_328.jpg

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?
And how are you going to do that when the smoke is so thick you can't see 10 feet and the fire creating the smoke is moving at 40 mph and jumping miles to start new fires?

The grounds are very dry, put that together with winds you get a out of control raging fire that destroys in seconds. People tried to get out but were trapped.

This area are fields of grapes for wineries and it is beautiful area with wealthy people.. T=People calling them illegals are fucking morons..

Running in these fires were like trying to run from the Vegas shooter not know where it was coming from..

Very sad indeed.

The grounds are very dry,

all the more reason to clear away dead fall

This is fire season after a long very hot summer... all of California looks like this with dry cover except for the watered areas..especially northern california

I can smell the smoke 2 hours south away from it. Sad..

so you know it is fire season

*yet* do nothing about it

only you can prevent forest fires

images

No basement?
in California?....i have never seen one out here....
We're talking about Missouri
You are living on or near the Madrid fault line. An earthquake is coming your way but you are not sure how bad it will be. Where are you going to go?

Forum List

Back