How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

Problem is, you don't know where the opposite way is. Lighten up Grampa.
I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it
No, you don't understand it. You have never seen a fire run before a wind gusting to nearly 80 mph. You have never seen a large evergreen explode, and burning limbs as large as your arm carried for miles by that wind. And where they fall, a raging fire, many acres in size explode in minutes, and repeat the process all over again. So the fire that began ten minutes ago five ridges over, and ten miles away, is now in your front yard. And it is at night, you are already in bed, and you wake to the fact that your neighborhood is engulfed in fire. No, you don't understand, and you don't want to understand. You want to blame the victims so you can whine about paying taxes that aid your fellow Americans that have lost everything they own. You are a shameful person.
I never blamed the victims and I've never complained about disaster relief so you too can blow me along with westwall for thanking your post.

Jackasses

You never blamed the victims? You did in your first post you moron.

And, have you ever been around a wildfire? Have you ever seen how fast they can move when the wind is blowing hard? I have, and sometimes you don't have any time to do anything other than grab your keys and pets and boogie out of Dodge, but even then, there could be a traffic jam (like there were in CA), because everyone was trying to leave at the same time.
No, the fires have been burning a while. They had time to get out, regardless of your imaginary reasons.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Oh! You can't cut a line in a patch of trees! (Say the tree huggers)

So the whole damn thing burns.

Sad.

I cut 2 tons of tree today. It didn't cry, it thanked me.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.
"The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away."

So, when I go check the opinions of professionals from the USFS, and the universities in the west, and various scientists..... this is the dominating opinion I will find? I have a feeling they are going to put droughts and climate change above this as bigger problems.

As a person who has had to deal with the assholes for nigh on 30 years now, yeah. It will. I live in the forest and have kept my area clear for decades, along with my neighbors. Lately though the environmentalists threaten to sue you if you make plans to do a cleanup. We had a very bad fire here in 2007 and the severity of the fire was greatly increased thanks to environmentalists making it nearly impossible to clear away deadfall. Even on private property. The article below treats them in a very soft way, and I can tell you that they are lying through their teeth when they claim to not be the reason for the lack of clearance.

LAKE TAHOE / Forest practices blamed for fire get critical eye

Catastrophic Wildfires? Thank the Greenies and Forest Service

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.

The grounds are very dry, put that together with winds you get a out of control raging fire that destroys in seconds. People tried to get out but were trapped.

This area are fields of grapes for wineries and it is beautiful area with wealthy people.. T=People calling them illegals are fucking morons..

Running in these fires were like trying to run from the Vegas shooter not know where it was coming from..

Very sad indeed.

The grounds are very dry,

all the more reason to clear away dead fall

This is fire season after a long very hot summer... all of California looks like this with dry cover except for the watered areas..especially northern california

I can smell the smoke 2 hours south away from it. Sad..

images

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.
But no blame for the people in Congress that will not expand the Forest Service budget when they spend most of their funds for fighting these fires? And, now, mostly fighting to keep those fires from towns, ranches, and farms.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???
Sometimes there is no way to leave. LIke where I am. Two ways out. South bound was closed. That leaves northbound. Now imagine 26K people on a winding twisting mountain road ALL going north and not enough gas to get from one town on fire to the next. Bumper to bumper traffic both ways since they opened the southbound lane for those fleeing northbound..and its only two lanes to begin with.
And some stay to try to save their homes and livestock and pets.
Judging is easy. Living it is another story.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.

The Forest Service makes fire breaks in National forests- as does the BLM.

In other words: No firecuts.
You stupid fuck, in other words, you have not brain one. And how to you create fire breaks in areas that are mostly private property? There were many four lane roads these fires have jumped, and those are wider than most fire breaks. Your obvious ignorance and stupidity is profound.

Oh ok, so fire cuts don't mitigate damage? Righhht.

If the section it jumped to was firecut, it would have stopped there. CA don't believe in that.

How many out of control fires have been in the SE, huh?

We got huge pines here that all you have to do is put a lighter on and they go off like a rocket.

I'll never forget the day I cut down a slash pine for an old friend. He had some friend from work visiting.

So my old friend (who I know has burned acres) goes up next to the pile where all the tree with a lighter.

His buddy from work is like "Aw, you can't do nothin' with that". "That ain't gonna burn, it's green."

I'm all: "Don't encourage him."

He flicks lighter one more time and there's 6 yards of burning fire blazing 30 foot high. Almost instantly.

It went out and it all was gone.

His work-buddy is a dumbass.

Forest Service has a let it burn policy for ground fires, not crown fires. And that let it burn policy has been advocated by the very people that are now castigating them for letting it burn.

If you have private property of a couple of hundred acres of acres of less, there is not reason for you not removing the understory.

The problem is thanks top the environmentalists suing anyone who tries to clear away dead brush is that pretty much ALL fires become crown fires in minutes. That's the point.

The corporate tree growers DO clear the undergrowth and deadfall away which is why they suffer much less damage when the fires come.

Virtually none of the property that burned around Santa Rosa was Forest Service land- so pretty much irrelevant in this case.

Sort of true. I don't know the exact point of origin for any of the fires yet, nor do I think anyone else does, but the huge fuel load in the forest areas definitely contributed to the rapid spread of the fires into the subdivisions. That is not arguable.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

"The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away."

So, when I go check the opinions of professionals from the USFS, and the universities in the west, and various scientists..... this is the dominating opinion I will find? I have a feeling they are going to put droughts and climate change above this as bigger problems.

As a person who has had to deal with the assholes for nigh on 30 years now, yeah. It will. I live in the forest and have kept my area clear for decades, along with my neighbors. Lately though the environmentalists threaten to sue you if you make plans to do a cleanup. We had a very bad fire here in 2007 and the severity of the fire was greatly increased thanks to environmentalists making it nearly impossible to clear away deadfall. Even on private property. The article below treats them in a very soft way, and I can tell you that they are lying through their teeth when they claim to not be the reason for the lack of clearance.

Hmm, from what I am seeing, the experts , while they do acknowledge that thinning the forests and cleaning away dead matter would help, are warning us that droughts and climate change seem to be bigger factors. That tells me that blaming this all on environmentalists is not a rational, scientific thing to do, but rather a political thing to do.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

My sister has a ranch in northern California, she cleared around her as well, but it there was a fire the Oak trees would lite up like matchsticks....

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

Yes. But not many of them. Nor does it truly matter. Fire breaks wouldn't have any measurable effect with the fires we get these days. There is simply too much fuel load on the ground.

Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Maybe try saying something informed?

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

Yes. But not many of them. Nor does it truly matter. Fire breaks wouldn't have any measurable effect with the fires we get these days. There is simply too much fuel load on the ground.

If there's fuel on the ground, it's not a "firebreak" Firecuts are cut down to bare earth.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad

I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???
Sometimes there is no way to leave. LIke where I am. Two ways out. South bound was closed. That leaves northbound. Now imagine 26K people on a winding twisting mountain road ALL going north and not enough gas to get from one town on fire to the next. Bumper to bumper traffic both ways since they opened the southbound lane for those fleeing northbound..and its only two lanes to begin with.
And some stay to try to save their homes and livestock and pets.
Judging is easy. Living it is another story.

They were evacuating the area between Santa Rosa and Sonoma yesterday- essentially one highway connects the two- and there were fires burning along parts of it- it was bumper to bumper as people tried to evacuate.

Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Maybe try saying something informed?

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

Hmm, from what I am seeing, the experts , while they do acknowledge that thinning the forests and cleaning away dead matter would help, that droughts and climate change seem to be bigger factors. That tells me that blaming this all on environmentalists is not a rational, scientific thing to do, but rather a political thing to do.

The droughts are normal. I bet you have never heard that the longest drought in Cali history lasted for over 200 years. Climate change is blamed for everything, and if you are familiar with the old adage if something is blamed for everything, the reality is it is responsible for none of it comes to mind. The normal life cycle of many Cali plants REQUIRES fire. That is how regular fires are in Cali. What is not normal is the environmentalists preventing the deadfall from being cleared away.

THAT is the un normal part of the equation.

Last edited:
Plus, it is not just us that just moved here. We have no clue of secret passable roads. One way out. I have to go down a dirt road because we are at the dead end of it...to ONE of the TWO main roads, and head north. No east. No west. Nothing but forest. And not being familiar...well...I guess we are fucked. But I guess we "should have known and are too stupid to leave".

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Sad.

Absolutely depends on the terrain and the weather.

There is too much fuel load on the ground- which is why the BLM and Forest Service have a policy of letting fires burn if they don't threaten structures- to get rid of the fuel load.

That changed a policy of years of trying to knock down every fire as quickly as possible which resulted in the huge build up of the undergrowth.

Plus, it is not just us that just moved here. We have no clue of secret passable roads. One way out. I have to go down a dirt road because we are at the dead end of it...to ONE of the TWO main roads, and head north. No east. No west. Nothing but forest. And not being familiar...well...I guess we are fucked. But I guess we "should have known and are too stupid to leave".
If that's the case and you know your are locked in, yeah, you should have left.

Forum List

Back