How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad

• Banned
Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

Well a lot of people may have nowhere to go, and they may not think they are in danger.

I mean I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS

• Banned
Sad

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

I've not been following this story at all. That said, my CA refugee has some NoCal friends who are kind of stuck in place. (or at least they were when I talked to him about it a couple days ago) Something about roads being closed off or in danger of being overrun so they're being told to stay put.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.

You're asking a bunch of people who chronically reelect Jerry Brown and Nancy Pelosi why they haven't enough sense to get out from acres and acres of fire?

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.

A woman was on television talking about her mother. Her mom had called to say that she had tried to get out but the flames were everywhere. Then the phone went dead. The woman's burned body was found in the ashes of her home.

Someone is setting these fires.

People in California are not stupid even though repubs think they are. Santa Rosa has a very challenging terrain for fire fighters to maneuver. The fire goes over one large hill, about 2,000 feet high down into a valley and then hits the towns outer edges. It crosses two freeways and many of the people are asleep when it hits. Some are very old and just can't move with out help and the help is gone.
This is an extraordinary fire. Combined with the winds and the autumn wind blowing small debris from the trees down the road they ignite fires way down the road that no one is expecting. If you can see the fire it will have you before you can escape.

A woman was on television talking about her mother. Her mom had called to say that she had tried to get out but the flames were everywhere. Then the phone went dead. The woman's burned body was found in the ashes of her home.

Someone is setting these fires.
Possible, but they are also speculating about downed power lines since most of the fire origins were when the winds were the strongest.

The officials who run the emergency alert system declined to broadcast an alert as they were afraid it would cause a panic. Thus when the fires got to the neighborhoods it was mainly neighbors waking neighbors. Add to that the fact that the fire was blitzing along at 100 yards a second and it is easy to see why there are so many who were killed.

The officials who run the emergency alert system declined to broadcast an alert as they were afraid it would cause a panic. Thus when the fires got to the neighborhoods it was mainly neighbors waking neighbors. Add to that the fact that the fire was blitzing along at 100 yards a second and it is easy to see why there are so many who were killed.

What? That's insane

I understand. I didn't get it either until I moved here and experienced my first Santa Anna. They were saying that this one up near Santa Anna was moving so fast it was like gobbling up the length of 3 football fields in 30 seconds. A firestorm creating it's own weather pattern after awhile.

Yes wild fires are unpredictable. I personally experienced one decades ago. The fire was 50 miles away and traveling away from our home.... then only a few hours later, the sheriff came up my driveway and told us to evacuate. By the time we got on our road, the fire was burning along both sides of our road and passing me as I drove about 30 mph. The windows were getting hot and unfortunately the vents were open and the car filled with smoke. My daughter had to spot the right side of the road so I didn't drive off. Luckily we made it to the end of the road where the firefighters were.

Forum List

Back