House Republicans want to give themselves $8,000+ pay rises, while furiously opposing other government spending

House Republicans are seeking to give themselves pay rises of at least $8,000, despite strong opposition to most government spending, Roll Call reported on Thursday.

Spending plans approved by the Republican-controlled House Appropriations Committee last month include lawmakers getting a 4.6% pay increase in 2024, Roll Call reported, citing the Congressional Research Service.

The draft legislation would need to pass the regular legislative process before coming into force.

If enacted, it would be the first time in nearly 15 years that members of Congress — whose average salaries are capped at around $174,000 — would receive a cost-of-living pay increase.

The party of small gov't wants a pay raise, while wanting to deny it to the folks who make peanuts.
Fake news.

The ones that do so only do so to virtue signal and only when they know the will pass anyway. I can't recall any of them refusing to the money after it passes.
Hasn’t been a raise in 14 years

Which has no chance in hell of passing without Democrats.

It will eventually pass, making it once again a bipartisan effort to fuck over Americans.
Again, why are you deflecting to Democrats? They didn't introduce this bill. They aren't in charge of the House. They couldn't bring this bill to a vote even if it was their bill.

Where's your anger at Republicans?

You're just proving that you're a hack.

Not like any of them Democrat or Republican have been living paycheck to paycheck. Even without a pay raise members Congress still find a way to enrich themselves and their family.

Many members of Congress are filthy rich and don’t need the paycheck

Others find it difficult to maintain two homes, one being in the high cost of living DC area

Yeah and? I can get past the second paragraph due to it requiring a $8.99 members to Barton’s…what’s it say? my guess is you don’t subscribe to Barrons either so…not sure why to posted the link

House Republicans are seeking to give themselves pay rises of at least $8,000, despite strong opposition to most government spending, Roll Call reported on Thursday.

Spending plans approved by the Republican-controlled House Appropriations Committee last month include lawmakers getting a 4.6% pay increase in 2024, Roll Call reported, citing the Congressional Research Service.

The draft legislation would need to pass the regular legislative process before coming into force.

If enacted, it would be the first time in nearly 15 years that members of Congress — whose average salaries are capped at around $174,000 — would receive a cost-of-living pay increase.

The party of small gov't wants a pay raise, while wanting to deny it to the folks who make peanuts.
They just gave them selfs a raise in lunch money, NONE for kids, Some how seems unfair.

Yeah and? I can get past the second paragraph due to it requiring a $8.99 members to Barton’s…what’s it say? my guess is you don’t subscribe to Barrons either so…not sure why to posted the link
Just say you are too afraid to look at it, it didn't cost me a damn dime to look at it.

I would rather my tax dollars go to a $3.5M pay raise for a cost of living increase for members of Congress vs. almost 3x that amount to pay for gender studies in Pakistan.

I would rather my tax dollars go to a $3.5M pay raise for a cost of living increase for members of Congress vs. almost 3x that amount to pay for gender studies in Pakistan.
The dembots want it both. That’s the difference

Forum List

Back