House may try to pass Senate health-care bill without voting on it

Pensito Review

Republicans took power in 1995, they soon lost their aversion to self-executing rules and proceeded to set new records under Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). There were 38 and 52 self-executing rules in the 104th and 105th Congresses (1995-1998), making up 25 percent and 35 percent of all rules, respectively. Under Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) there were 40, 42 and 30 self-executing rules in the 106th, 107th and 108th Congresses (22 percent, 37 percent and 22 percent, respectively). Thus far in the 109th Congress, self-executing rules make up about 16 percent of all rules.

Let me get this right. You are trying to say that since the republicans broke the rules its ok if the democrats do too?

Sorry that doesn't fly with this american. It was wrong with repubs and is wrong now.

Like RDean your pointing to bad behavior to justify more bad behavior.
Except you weren't calling for a military overthrow of the government when the Republicans did it, were you? And I'm willing to bet Xeno wasn't all hyped up on fauxrage, either.

This is why it is impossible to believe that you two are non-partisan as you pretend to be.

Pensito Review

Republicans took power in 1995, they soon lost their aversion to self-executing rules and proceeded to set new records under Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). There were 38 and 52 self-executing rules in the 104th and 105th Congresses (1995-1998), making up 25 percent and 35 percent of all rules, respectively. Under Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) there were 40, 42 and 30 self-executing rules in the 106th, 107th and 108th Congresses (22 percent, 37 percent and 22 percent, respectively). Thus far in the 109th Congress, self-executing rules make up about 16 percent of all rules.

Let me get this right. You are trying to say that since the republicans broke the rules its ok if the democrats do too?

Sorry that doesn't fly with this american. It was wrong with repubs and is wrong now.

Except you weren't calling for a military overthrow of the government when the Republicans did it, were you? And I'm willing to bet Xeno wasn't all hyped up on fauxrage, either.

This is why it is impossible to believe that you two are non-partisan as you pretend to be.

Actually when they passed the damn patriot act I was. Sorry Ravi I am disgusted at either party for doing the same behavior.

Actually when they passed the damn patriot act I was. Sorry Ravi I am disgusted at either party for doing the same behavior.
That's not the same thing.

That's not the same thing.

Which times are you referring back too?

Pensito Review

:eusa_whistle:

2010-03-16-humor-mrz031610dAPR.jpg

Name the time 'republicans' used it to pass a bill that will cost trillions and is unpopular with more then half the country.

What a stupid thing to say, like a five year old, 'Republicans used it, why can't democrats?'

BECAUSE ITS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

I shouldn't have to even say it, it should be obvious too you.

Just like with the reconciliation argument, in the end this is still legislation like any other.

And in case you missed it earlier, the GOP already has had this upheld in court when they were doing it.
In case you missed iot, and obviously you have, its NEVEWR been used for something like this.

And you notice Nan hasn't done it either, beacuse she knows what is going to happen if its attempted.

People are tired of these washington fools wasting our money and ignoring our wishes so they can pay off their friends and give them sweet deals. We both know even if the bill is passed its going straight to court as its full of things that will kill it, like union exemptions for cadalac plans, cornhusker kickbacks and lousiana purchases.

Traditional Use. Originally, this type of rule was used to expedite House action in disposing of Senate amendments to House-passed bills. As mentioned in the precedents (House Practice by Wm. Holmes Brown and Charles W. Johnson), selfexecuting
rules for these purposes eliminate “the need for a motion to dispose of the
[Senate] amendment. ” Brown and Johnson further state that such resolutions are
sometimes called “hereby” special orders “because the House, in adopting the resolution
as drafted, ‘hereby’ agrees to the disposition of the [Senate] amendment as proposed by
that resolution. If the House adopts a resolution, no further action by the House is
required. The [Senate] amendment is never before the House for separate consideration.”
“Hereby” or self-executing rules have also been used to adopt concurrent resolutions
correcting the enrollment of measures or to make other technical changes to legislation.
Contemporary Use. Self-executing rules are still employed on matters involving

Quit using the phoney definition of what this procedure is.

Traditional Use. Originally, this type of rule was used to expedite House action in disposing of Senate amendments to House-passed bills. As mentioned in the precedents (House Practice by Wm. Holmes Brown and Charles W. Johnson), selfexecuting
rules for these purposes eliminate “the need for a motion to dispose of the
[Senate] amendment. ” Brown and Johnson further state that such resolutions are
sometimes called “hereby” special orders “because the House, in adopting the resolution
as drafted, ‘hereby’ agrees to the disposition of the [Senate] amendment as proposed by
that resolution. If the House adopts a resolution, no further action by the House is
required. The [Senate] amendment is never before the House for separate consideration.”
“Hereby” or self-executing rules have also been used to adopt concurrent resolutions
correcting the enrollment of measures or to make other technical changes to legislation.
Contemporary Use. Self-executing rules are still employed on matters involving

Quit using the phoney definition of what this procedure is.

Please read what you're saying here. THE HOUSE NEVER PASSED THE SENATE BILL!!!!!!!!! The Senate bill is a totally different bill than the House bill. Therefore rule was used to expedite House action in disposing of Senate amendments to House-passed bills. is a mute point because the Senate NEVER made amendments to a House passed bill.

Rick

The house DID pass the bill and then the Senate amended that bill and passed it.

This tactic is clearly defined as used to reconcile bills amended by the senate.

The house DID pass the bill and then the Senate amended that bill and passed it.

This tactic is clearly defined as used to reconcile bills amended by the senate.

They did not!!!!!!! The House bill and the Senate bill are not the same bill with amendments made. The House members wrote a bill and passed it. Senate didn't like what was in the House passed bill, so they wrote a totally different bill and passed it. THEY HAVE DIFFERENT IDENTIFYING NUMBERS. The Senate NEVER voted on the House bill, and the House NEVER voted on the Senate bill.

Rick

Health care reform debate in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit] Debate after passage of Senate and House bills
The Senate bill was passed with 60 senators voting in favor during December 2009.[197] The House bill was passed in November 2009 by a vote of 220-215.[198] The next legislative step is for a reconciled bill to be voted on in both chambers, or either chamber could pass the other's bill as-is.[199]

The vote on sunday is a procedural step which combines the SENATE bill with other bills and votes on its passage as an understanding that it is in the package.

It is nothing different than any other useage of this tactic.

Last edited:
Health care reform debate in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Senate bill was passed with 60 senators voting in favor during December 2009.[197] The House bill was passed in November 2009 by a vote of 220-215.[198] The next legislative step is for a reconciled bill to be voted on in both chambers, or either chamber could pass the other's bill as-is.[199]

The vote on sunday is a procedural step which combines the SENATE bill with other bills and votes on its passage as an understanding that it is in the package.

Changing your story in midstream? Now that you see that the two bills aren't the same bill, the Slaughter Rule looks a little different doesn't it? They want to deem that the Senate bill (which is not the same thing as the House bill) has passed the House without a vote. That is what I have a problem with. And it is not something that has EVER been done before.

Rick

Name the time 'republicans' used it to pass a bill that will cost trillions and is unpopular with more then half the country.

What a stupid thing to say, like a five year old, 'Republicans used it, why can't democrats?'

BECAUSE ITS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

I shouldn't have to even say it, it should be obvious too you.

Just like with the reconciliation argument, in the end this is still legislation like any other.

And in case you missed it earlier, the GOP already has had this upheld in court when they were doing it.
In case you missed iot, and obviously you have, its NEVEWR been used for something like this.

And you notice Nan hasn't done it either, beacuse she knows what is going to happen if its attempted.

Well, she either does or she doesn't. Doesn't change the fact that your arguments for why it can't be done are crap.

Last edited:

Changing your story in midstream? Now that you see that the two bills aren't the same bill, the Slaughter Rule looks a little different doesn't it? They want to deem that the Senate bill (which is not the same thing as the House bill) has passed the House without a vote. That is what I have a problem with. And it is not something that has EVER been done before.

Rick

Dear idiot, please realise that any bill then goes to the other body to be voted on and the majority of the time it is passed through that houes AFTER it is amended by that body. It then has to go back to the other body for reconciliation.

That is standard procedure.

That body has the option of doing that through self executive means and it has been used by both party hundereds of times.

LOOK at the quote I gave you, it says that the next course of action is to be reconciled house. That means they can then reconcile it through self executive means JUST like the house rules committe site says.

You twist and turn and lie and lie but you are still a lying asshole whos got the facts wromng in the end.

Forum List

Back