House GOP Backtracking On Promised 'Reforms' Before They Even Get Started

So much noise from the peanut galleries. The House will change today, no amount of noise and shouts of hypocrisy will change that. There will be a bill introduced to repeal Obama Care. No amount of noise is going to stop it or get it to pass. It will not pass, the votes are not there. If by a miracle it did pass, Obama would veto it, there are not the votes to override.

The right complained about the "Demon Pass" while in minority, wanted rules change. The rules did not change, they won't now. Same might be said about the filibuster rule in the Senate, if it changes, it would only be 'one less weapon in the minority parties arsenal,' both parties know their time in that dreaded position will come again.

So hopefully these new folks will enjoy their day, get their pet projects proposed and out of the way and get to the real work.

I for one never expected that miraculously the deficit would be shrunk in the next few months. That Washington would suddenly be cleaned up and that the old boys would decide that the civic good should overcome partisanship and private enrichment on their parts.

I do expect the newly elected by an awakened electorate to be different. I for one will watch them and any of the others that might decide to join in for real change. They may not accomplish much, but am watching for consistency in what they do. The fact that the Republican leadership is having problems getting any of their new members on the Appropriations committee is giving me some hope.

Speaking of 'private enrichment', I found the following article really interesting. It's from November 2010.

Congressional Members' Personal Wealth Expands Despite Sour National Economy - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

WASHINGTON — Members of Congress are enjoying their own financial stimulus.

Despite a stubbornly sour national economy congressional members’ personal wealth collectively increased by more than 16 percent between 2008 and 2009, according to a new study by the Center for Responsive Politics of federal financial disclosures released earlier this year.

And while some members’ financial portfolios lost value, no need to bemoan most lawmakers’ financial lot: Nearly half of them -- 261 -- are millionaires, a slight increase from the previous year, the Center’s study finds. That compares to about 1 percent of Americans who lay claim to the same lofty fiscal status.

And of these congressional millionaires, 55 have an average calculated wealth in 2009 of $10 million or more, with eight in the $100 million-plus range.

“Few federal lawmakers must grapple with the financial ills -- unemployment, loss of housing, wiped out savings -- that have befallen millions of Americans,” said Sheila Krumholz, the Center for Responsive Politics’ executive director. “Congressional representatives on balance rank among the wealthiest of wealthy Americans and boast financial portfolios that are all but unattainable for most of their constituents.”

In 2009, the median wealth of a U.S. House member stood at $765,010, up from $645,503 in 2008. The median wealth of a U.S. senator was nearly $2.38 million, up from $2.27 million in 2008.

For all members of Congress regardless of chamber, median wealth in 2009 reached $911,510, up from $785,515 in 2008. This spike in personal wealth represents a notable rebound from the period between 2007 and 2008, when overall congressional wealth slipped by more than 5 percent. Federal lawmakers’ personal wealth climaxed in 2007 -- the pinnacle of nearly a decade’s worth of steady asset value expansion.

ANYONE surprised this article posted by Flaylo is from the Huffington POST?

I'm not.:lol:

Nor is it surprising that you didn't have the capacity to refute what was said.

If the Post is lying about what republicans said, surely an intelligent mind could easily refute it .. but that takes us back to the question of capacity.

No racial slurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one with an IQ over room temperature takes what the HuffPuff "reports" as anything more than partisan bullshit.

What's really funny... the OP is prone to hysteria over every sentence uttered by FNC... and yet apparently sees the HuffPuff as non-partisan. He's an intellectual lightweight. So are you if you accept this shit as fact.

Oh really ..

Wall Street Journal - House GOP Backtracking On Promised 'Reforms' Before They Even Get Started
Politics - WSJ.com: House GOP Backtracking On Promised 'Reforms' Before They Even Get Started

I know .. the Wall Street Journal is just a liberal rag. Who'd take them seriously.

Guess that makes you an idiot.

OH NO, REPUBLICANS DON'T BACKTRACK

Republicans Flip-Flop on Earmarks Issue

After realizing how difficult it will be to secure funding for projects such as fixing bridges and building water systems, Republicans in the House and Senate are having second thoughts about their votes in support of a blanket ban on earmarks.

Some are trying to redefine the term in order to give themselves wiggle room. GOP Rep. Jack Kingston said "we have gone one step further than we meant to go," while Rep. Michele Bachmann questioned how transportation gets funded without earmarks.

Meanwhile, left-leaning and libertarian commentators are having fun watching Republicans squirm as they "learn what the word ´Ban´ means," as Reason Magazine put it, while Outside the Beltway called the ban "purely symbolic and utterly pointless."
Republicans Flip-Flop on Earmarks Issue

Tea Party Screwed By Republicans Again - Rand Paul Flip/Flops on Earmarks

Rand Paul Suggests He'll Fight For Earmarks He Earlier Promised To Ban
Political Truths: Tea Party Screwed By Republicans Again - Rand Paul Flip/Flops on Earmarks #p2 #tcot #teaparty

They all flipflop, backtrack, and outright lie.

Democrats, republicans .. they're all liars.

To jump and pretend offense because politicians are known liars is something one would expect from children and other people who don't know shit about politics.

If you had the brain you were born with, you would know that I don't defend either side.... I occasionally defend an individual. Had the OP linked the the WSJ, I would have considered the source, but the OP is incapable of linking to anything other than the HuffPuff. I mock him, and his "source"... because both are ridiculous.

However, the new congress is yet to be seated so, we will see what they do. If they have not learned the lesson of November, they will pay the consequence. Simple.

I don't know anything about you other than you're a right-winger, and I don't think I've ever read anything from you that doesn't defend the right-wing.

In your "mocking" it appears that all you did was mock yourself given that the article was printed in lots of news sources .. including some on the right.

More importantly, it doesn't take a source from the WSJ or HuffingtonPost to know that republicans are going to backtrack on a whole lot of shit they said. If you really don't defend either side you would know that.

The lesson of November was that Obama pissed off his base and they stayed home. Had nothing to do with any confidence that republicans or teabaggers are going to be any better. Had ZERO to do with America looking to teabaggers for direction.

What is guaranteed is that the right will over-reach just as they did during Clinton's term when he lost the congress. To this nations detriment, Obama is a lock for 2012. HE was the biggest winner during the midterms .. just as Clinton was.

What is guaranteed is that teabaggers and establishment republicans will be at each others throats .. already started.

What is guaranteed is that the darling of teabaggers, Palin, will not be the republican nominee for 2012 .. and of the geezers they have left, all have high negatives and don't stand a chance in hell of winning.

If the economy improves at all, Obama is a lock.

After two years of teabaggers and their insane policies, the democratic base will again be energized and running to the polls.

Easy to predict.

Last edited:

If the Post is lying about what republicans said, surely an intelligent mind could easily refute it .. but that takes us back to the question of capacity.

XXXXXXX

What in the fuck does that have to do with anything?

It does nothing but post moronic stuff, I'm tired of reading her/his racist bullshit.

If you had the brain you were born with, you would know that I don't defend either side.... I occasionally defend an individual. Had the OP linked the the WSJ, I would have considered the source, but the OP is incapable of linking to anything other than the HuffPuff. I mock him, and his "source"... because both are ridiculous.

However, the new congress is yet to be seated so, we will see what they do. If they have not learned the lesson of November, they will pay the consequence. Simple.

Mocking me and my source without refuting it is called ad-hominem you asshat, you're retarded if you think what you're doing makes you better than me.

No racial slurs.

Wish I could neg you 100X. What a cretin.

What's the matter, you don't like africa?

You're a racist troll SOB, want us to go back to Africa? pay the fee since we were brought here against our will. You don't like black Americans? Go to hell, we're not going anywhere.

Once again California Girl backs down with her cowardly hide from racists but calls me a racist, now we kno who the real racist is.

It does nothing but post moronic stuff, I'm tired of reading her/his racist bullshit.

Then I suggest you fuck off... because BlackAsCoal has as much right to post here as the rest of us. I don't agree with much that BlackAs says - in fact, politically, we are quite at odds -but I would rather read his shit that your racist crap.

ANYONE surprised this article posted by Flaylo is from the Huffington POST?

I'm not.:lol:

Go back to africa where your big lips might do some good.

:lol:

Sure, if you can make me. Can you?

Or are you just a "macho" cyber-pussy?

Seriously, I'd relish you taking this time to demonstrate the force of your will. Of course if you can't do it, then you're just the cyber-pussy you appear to be. :lol:

But hey .. the next time I visit Africa, I'll say hello to your mama's people. :afro:

You and your mom are genetically AFRICAN, are you not?

Scence not your thing, huh?

:lol:

Let me know when you're prepared to demonstrate what a tough guy you are. :lol:

Last edited:

Then I suggest you fuck off... because BlackAsCoal has as much right to post here as the rest of us. I don't agree with much that BlackAs says - in fact, politically, we are quite at odds -but I would rather read his shit that your racist crap.

I appreciate that.

Thanks

You're a racist troll SOB, want us to go back to Africa? pay the fee since we were brought here against our will. You don't like black Americans? Go to hell, we're not going anywhere.

Once again California Girl backs down with her cowardly hide from racists but calls me a racist, now we kno who the real racist is.

Jeeeez, you're like a fucking two year old. I haven backed down, you fucking moron. I was working. Stupid little race baiting piece of shit. No wonder you turned your rep off - coward.

I appreciate that.

Thanks

Careful there, California Girl doesn't think its racist for William Bennett to say that aborting black babies would lower crime.

California Girl condemned his idiocy.

We often disagree, but I would not call her a racist.

Jeeeez, you're like a fucking two year old. I haven backed down, you fucking moron. I was working. Stupid little race baiting piece of shit. No wonder you turned your rep off - coward.

So says the asshat who thinks aborting black babies to lower crime isn't a racist statement, facking pathetic racist POS rightwing trash.

I appreciate that.

Thanks

You're welcome. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'll tolerate anyone attacking you on your race. I don't tolerate racists.... of any color.

Forum List

Back