Hosstiles

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
How the western got lost: why the genre needs to innovate to survive

This review has got the western all wrong in my opinion.

I hate westerns that have a modern gloss to make them "relevant".

Some modern westerns are good.
Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Dances With Wolves

And some aint.
Assassination of Jesse James being a prime example.

Good stories,good script and good actors is the thing. You can stick innovation up your arse.

BTW - has anyone seen "Hostiles" ?

Best western ever made
91wQPJPndvL._SL1500_.jpg

Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Dances With Wolves

And some aint.

Good stories,good script and good actors is the thing. You can stick innovation up your arse.

I think the Western was played out 40-50 years ago. Nonstop Western movies and endless Old West tv series. Recently Cowboys and Aliens. Who in hell thought that was a good idea for a film. If the Old West is used as a tool say in a time travel movie it works a lot better as it is a small part of the movie. But how many ways can you spin a gun, a horse, and bad guys. Even Django Unchained I thought was terrible. Tarantino reliving his childhood gaze at cheap Westerns he watched in the 60's with a comic book twist thrown in. Blahh.

I'm often amazed at the lack of imagination in Hollywood today. A few directors/writers come up with something new and cool like Spielberg or Ridley Scott but there is this 20 year trend that is still going on rehashing all things old. Some of it is good, like The Black Knight batman movie with Heath Ledger, but most of them are ponderous.

The story is still the engine that drive the movie, if it is weak or missing it doesn't matter how big the star is or how great the CGI.

Last edited:
I plan to see it. The reviews are boring and political...I've never trusted reviews. White guys shooting Indians....the good old days of the American pioneer. It all turned out pretty good.

Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Dances With Wolves

And some aint.

I think the Western was played out 40-50 years ago. Nonstop Western movies and endless Old West tv series. Recently Cowboys and Aliens. Who in hell thought that was a good idea for a film. If the Old West is used as a tool say in a time travel movie it works a lot better as it is a small part of the movie. But how many ways can you spin a gun, a horse, and bad guys. Even Django Unchained I though was terrible. Tarantino reliving his childhood gaze at cheap Westerns he watched in the 60's with a comic book twist thrown in. Blahh.

I'm often amazed at the lack of imagination in Hollywood today. A few directors/writers come up with something new and cool like Spielberg or Ridley Scott but there is this 20 year trend that is still going on rehashing all things old. Some of it is good, like The Black Knight batman movie with Heath Ledger, but most of them are ponderous.

The story is still the engine that drive the movie, if it is weak or missing it doesn't matter how big the star is or how great the CGI.
Django was an absolute shite movie. I gave up on it before the end.

Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Dances With Wolves

And some aint.

Just finished watching it. A good story of redemption & forgiveness. A bit of a slow burn but well worth it. But DAMN that ending!

Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Dances With Wolves

And some aint.

Learn how to spell.

I plan to see it. The reviews are boring and political...I've never trusted reviews. White guys shooting Indians....the good old days of the American pioneer. It all turned out pretty good.
Reviews are worthless. Politics has crept into everything. Take your hat off, forget your politics & enjoy the ride. Every movie doesn't have to be Oscar material.

What modern westerns need is more realism ... like in the old days ...

MV5BMTMzNTIxMDk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzgxOTgwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1439,1000_AL_.jpg

I there were just some way to tell the good guy from the bad guy.

Funny ... in that movie 'Rustlers Rhapsody' the final show down was between TWO good-guys ... until the truth was finally revealed.

Unforgiven crushed it so fuckin hard that it's hard for me to watch other westerns, these days. I also think Christian Bale is one of the most overrated actors who ever appeared on camera. That said, protagonists in the Western genre tend to be quiet stoic types whose emotions are generally concealed behind the whole grizzled gunfighter gaze, and one thing at which Bale excels is showing zero emotion, so I have a suspicion that he'll fit this roll alright. I haven't watched it yet, obviously, but I do mean to check out Hostiles.

Unforgiven crushed it so fuckin hard that it's hard for me to watch other westerns, these days. I also think Christian Bale is one of the most overrated actors who ever appeared on camera. That said, protagonists in the Western genre tend to be quiet stoic types whose emotions are generally concealed behind the whole grizzled gunfighter gaze, and one thing at which Bale excels is showing zero emotion, so I have a suspicion that he'll fit this roll alright. I haven't watched it yet, obviously, but I do mean to check out Hostiles.
I thought that Unforgiven was a really good film. But it has influenced a lot of crap that has come since. "Open Range" is probably the best western made in the modern era.

Forum List

Back