Homemade Creme Fresh...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...or creme fraiche if you prefer.

Made some last night, and mmm-mmm is it good.

And it couldn't be easier...

I really wanted to make this simple scrambled egg.

[youtube]PUP7U5vTMM0[/youtube]

I've always made scrambled egg in a skillet...so I wanted to try this technique.

I couldn't find creme fresh close by, so I made some, and it is delicious all by itself.

10b46711-c7a2-4a1f-baba-dc7ea7eda2b3_zps0d758a0b.jpg

8780adeb-db14-45ca-aebb-195ec17651d8_zpsaee8c6df.jpg

So here's the recipe:

One cup heavy cream

1-2 Tbsp buttermilk

That's it.

Partially cover (I used a cloth napkin) and leave it on the counter for 12-16 hours until it thickens.

It should be thick but still pourable when done.

Overnight was perfect.

Here's the link...Homemade Creme Fraiche Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Last edited:
truthfully his eggs did not look that great to me.

I will stick with my skillet, heavy cream and butter :)

truthfully his eggs did not look that great to me.

I will stick with my skillet, heavy cream and butter :)

Yup I think my own are better. He works them too much...I like it to still resemble egg when it goes on the plate, not some weird pudding stuff, lol.

I can make scrambled eggs in any pan though...usually I crack them into the pan (little butter alright) and then stir them a little, and just run a spatula through them a few times until they're done, not runny but shiny still...I don't put cream or anything else in them usually...sometimes cheese. Salt/pepper at the end.

But he's dead to rights with the rest of it..the roasted tomatoes yup yup, and the bread...looked like mine! One of my favorite easy breakfasts when we vaca is fried (he calls them roasted, ok) tomatoes, scrambled or poached eggs, sourdough, french or italian toast (or fried with an egg in it) served with mozzarella slices and if you're lucky, ham, bacon, or italian sausage.

Oh yum. Very good, simple, easy.

Last edited:
...or creme fraiche if you prefer.

Made some last night, and mmm-mmm is it good.

And it couldn't be easier...

I really wanted to make this simple scrambled egg.

[youtube]PUP7U5vTMM0[/youtube]

I've always made scrambled egg in a skillet...so I wanted to try this technique.

I couldn't find creme fresh close by, so I made some, and it is delicious all by itself.

10b46711-c7a2-4a1f-baba-dc7ea7eda2b3_zps0d758a0b.jpg

8780adeb-db14-45ca-aebb-195ec17651d8_zpsaee8c6df.jpg

So here's the recipe:

One cup heavy cream

1-2 Tbsp buttermilk

That's it.

Partially cover (I used a cloth napkin) and leave it on the counter for 12-16 hours until it thickens.

It should be thick but still pourable when don't.

Overnight was perfect.

Here's the link...Homemade Creme Fraiche Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Ditch the wife, marry me. ;) Thanks for the recipe!

Finally got around to making this...and it was excellent.

The scrambled eggs were definitely different than I am used to...but they were actually quite delicious.

I couldn't find any small tomatoes on the vine, so I substituted so Roma.

Angel made the bread...it was fantastic as always.

34d27fab-840e-4c97-9efd-22af2aa1e8cf_zpsa2d925f6.jpg

Annie - Angel said cooking was my only redeeming quality, for all the other B.S. she puts up with, it was a tempting offer to get rid of me...

For your sake only, she decided to keep me around. :lol:

Last edited:
Nice... a very good job. :clap:

now... why were the eggs different then what you were used to? Can you describe it?

I've been eating scrambled eggs like once a day since he started this thread.

I will probably break down and fix them like this....even though I don't see how they could possibly be any better than mine!

I do have homemade bread right now though...may pick up some cream/buttermilk tonight...

I want you to make a goat cheese/basil quiche next.

515a65f174c5b60d06004750._w.540._s.fit.jpg

1 9-inch pie crust
8 ounces cherry tomatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup basil chiffonade
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
4 ounces goat cheese
Roll out pie crust and fit into a 10 x 1-inch quiche pan. Trim away overhang and reserve for patching any cracks during baking. Freeze crust for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 months ahead. (Wrap securely with plastic if freezing for longer than a few hours.)
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are puffy and lightly browned. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.)

Raise oven heat to 425°F. Remove crust from freezer and line with parchment paper. Fill with pie weights, beans or rice, pushing weights snugly against the sides of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes and remove parchment and weights. If the crust has puffed up in spots, lightly press down with the back of a spoon. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the bottom crust is light golden brown. Lower oven heat to 375°F.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream and 3/4 teaspoon salt until frothy. Mix in the basil and half the Parmesan cheese. Scatter half the tomatoes and half the goat cheese, crumbled, over the bottom of the quiche pan. Pour in the egg custard. (You may have a little custard left over, depending on how much the sides of your dough slumped during baking.) Scatter the remaining tomatoes and crumble the remaining goat cheese around the custard. Scatter the remaining Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center is set, but still a little jiggly. If the crust starts to brown too much during baking, wrap foil around the edges of the pan to protect it. Let quiche cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe: Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Quiche Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Nice... a very good job. :clap:

now... why were the eggs different then what you were used to? Can you describe it?

I'd say richer and more velvety...not so much a different taste, just more subtle, and lighter...I'd say that was the biggest difference...it was a very different fluffy texture than I am used to. No denseness whatsoever. Not even the slightest.

515a65f174c5b60d06004750._w.540._s.fit.jpg

1 9-inch pie crust
8 ounces cherry tomatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup basil chiffonade
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
4 ounces goat cheese
Roll out pie crust and fit into a 10 x 1-inch quiche pan. Trim away overhang and reserve for patching any cracks during baking. Freeze crust for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 months ahead. (Wrap securely with plastic if freezing for longer than a few hours.)
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are puffy and lightly browned. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.)

Raise oven heat to 425°F. Remove crust from freezer and line with parchment paper. Fill with pie weights, beans or rice, pushing weights snugly against the sides of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes and remove parchment and weights. If the crust has puffed up in spots, lightly press down with the back of a spoon. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the bottom crust is light golden brown. Lower oven heat to 375°F.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream and 3/4 teaspoon salt until frothy. Mix in the basil and half the Parmesan cheese. Scatter half the tomatoes and half the goat cheese, crumbled, over the bottom of the quiche pan. Pour in the egg custard. (You may have a little custard left over, depending on how much the sides of your dough slumped during baking.) Scatter the remaining tomatoes and crumble the remaining goat cheese around the custard. Scatter the remaining Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center is set, but still a little jiggly. If the crust starts to brown too much during baking, wrap foil around the edges of the pan to protect it. Let quiche cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe: Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Quiche Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Mmm, looks fabulous...I will definitely give this a try.

I had goat cheese quiche at a nice little shop some years ago and I have never forgotten it.

Forum List

Back