Homeless in a hurricane

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
The report below from US News & World Report drew mostly insults and placed blame on the two men; I found it heart wrenching. Any thoughts?

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Reuters) - Craig Uggen stopped short in his white Ford truck on Friday as gusting winds from Hurricane Harvey pushed waves from Corpus Christi Bay over the road. His anxiety rose with the water, now covering half his front wheels.

As he backed onto higher ground, another gust ripped the camper from his truck bed. Uggen had lived in that camper on the beach for the past year.

"I can't believe I dropped my home in the damn street," he would say minutes later, shocked at finding himself homeless on Friday with a Category 4 hurricane bearing down on this working-class South Texas city.

The man in the cab next to him, who would only give his name as Travis, had started the day homeless. Uggen had offered to shelter him in his camper when the two met at a convenience store just an hour before.

Their predicament highlights how quickly a natural disaster can make life desperate for those on the margins of society. Travis had planned to stay in Uggen's camper in part because he believed all the city's shelters were closed or full.

He was almost correct. Only one shelter, the Good Samaritan Rescue Mission, remained open as the most powerful storm to hit Texas since 1961 approached.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...oc-to-people-living-on-the-margins?src=usn_li

One of the men has a home, but went in his camper to live on the beach for a year......

Last edited:
The report below from US News & World Report drew mostly insults and placed blame on the two men; I found it heart wrenching. Any thoughts?

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Reuters) - Craig Uggen stopped short in his white Ford truck on Friday as gusting winds from Hurricane Harvey pushed waves from Corpus Christi Bay over the road. His anxiety rose with the water, now covering half his front wheels.

As he backed onto higher ground, another gust ripped the camper from his truck bed. Uggen had lived in that camper on the beach for the past year.

"I can't believe I dropped my home in the damn street," he would say minutes later, shocked at finding himself homeless on Friday with a Category 4 hurricane bearing down on this working-class South Texas city.

The man in the cab next to him, who would only give his name as Travis, had started the day homeless. Uggen had offered to shelter him in his camper when the two met at a convenience store just an hour before.

Their predicament highlights how quickly a natural disaster can make life desperate for those on the margins of society. Travis had planned to stay in Uggen's camper in part because he believed all the city's shelters were closed or full.

He was almost correct. Only one shelter, the Good Samaritan Rescue Mission, remained open as the most powerful storm to hit Texas since 1961 approached.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...oc-to-people-living-on-the-margins?src=usn_li

One of the men has a home, but went in his camper to live on the beach for a year......
The radio in his truck must not be working, if he didn't know enough to move back prior to a storm surge hitting.

I feel for them, though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm. The soup kitchens always close down. I think of them.

The radio in his truck must not be working, if he didn't know enough to move back prior to a storm surge hitting.

I feel for them, though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm. The soup kitchens always close down. I think of them.

Mostly mental problems, sometimes caused by the loneliness. A couple of churches in my town help and take donations of food, blankets, clothing, sanitary supplies. I give there.

Last edited:

Mostly mental problems, sometimes caused by the loneliness.
Around here, maybe half are just that broke. Some are parents with kids. It's tough seeing them kicked out from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., especially in the winter. But at least they've got a place to sleep, shower and get breakfast. And all the shelters try to help them find housing and get their lives stabilized. Then the other half are downright crazy.

Guess the same thing could be said for Ray Nagin in New Orleans when he let all those buses that could have been used to get people out before Katrina. Maybe the peoples' radios broke, too since they didn't leave.

How is it that homeless people go without a meal at all with all you bleeding hearts claiming to care as much as you do for them. Don't look at it as a soup kitchen closing down but an opportunity for you to prove that you care as much as you claim you do. You claim to care, the primary source they have for food is closed down, and you do nothing but blame the snow storm for you unwillingness to help.

Around here, maybe half are just that broke. Some are parents with kids. It's tough seeing them kicked out from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., especially in the winter.

And yes Conservative65, do something. I buy as non perishable as I am able. "Energy" bars, canned, and in season raw fruits and vegetables, canned meats, milk in the tiny containers.

Guess the same thing could be said for Ray Nagin in New Orleans when he let all those buses that could have been used to get people out before Katrina. Maybe the peoples' radios broke, too since they didn't leave.

How is it that homeless people go without a meal at all with all you bleeding hearts claiming to care as much as you do for them. Don't look at it as a soup kitchen closing down but an opportunity for you to prove that you care as much as you claim you do. You claim to care, the primary source they have for food is closed down, and you do nothing but blame the snow storm for you unwillingness to help.
It's been pretty hard to find a way to pick a fight with my comments so far, but you've managed to imagine all kinds of things to accuse me of in order to do so. What's the matter? Can't find anyone better to pick on today? I know it's Saturday, but geesh.
I have no reply to your post. What in hell could I possibly say to that garbage?

It's been pretty hard to find a way to pick a fight with my comments so far, but you've managed to imagine all kinds of things to accuse me of in order to do so. What's the matter? Can't find anyone better to pick on today? I know it's Saturday, but geesh.
I have no reply to your post. What in hell could I possibly say to that garbage?

Remember, you do what you can, YOU cannot reopen a soup kitchen, or take in tens of people. I live in a small town, easier to help, other than volunteering in the big city, 30+miles away. (I remember some funny events; last TS that came by, we were ready to take in a family we knew, 1 adult, 5 children (foster kids) lived in a single wide mobile home, too close to the river. Blankets and sleeping bags were everywhere, on couches carpeted floors I vacuumed silly.........then they brought sleeping bags and blankets also, and it never got cool enough to use most, so we dodged as we walked.

I didn't accuse you of anything. Your words were "I feel for them [homeless people], though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm".

Funny how you consider someone expecting a bleeding heart such as yourself to do what you claim should be done for the homeless when their normal ways of getting it aren't there as garbage. The garbage is the person who claims to care about certain groups then does nothing for those groups other than find ways for someone else to be forced to support them.

Simple question. If the homeless don't have food when it snows and you indicate you feel for them when they don't, why aren't you doing something on those days?

Remember, you do what you can, YOU cannot reopen a soup kitchen, or take in tens of people. I live in a small town, easier to help, other than volunteering in the big city, 30+miles away. (I remember some funny events; last TS that came by, we were ready to take in a family we knew, 1 adult, 5 children (foster kids) lived in a single wide mobile home, too close to the river. Blankets and sleeping bags were everywhere, on couches carpeted floors I vacuumed silly.........then they brought sleeping bags and blankets also, and it never got cool enough to use most, so we dodged as we walked.

No one is saying reopen the soup kitchen or take in any amount of people. Actually I am saying the number of people. While you can't reopen the kitchen, you can provide them food if you care as much as you claim. As for the number, I don't know what the number is but let's say it's the number of people on food stamps that you bleeding heart Liberals don't have a problem thinking the rest of us should be forced to feed. If you can't take in or feed whatever that number is yourself, don't come crying about taxes on the rest of us to do it. In other words, don't demand the rest of us do what you admit you can't do.

I didn't accuse you of anything. Your words were "I feel for them [homeless people], though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm".

Funny how you consider someone expecting a bleeding heart such as yourself to do what you claim should be done for the homeless when their normal ways of getting it aren't there as garbage. The garbage is the person who claims to care about certain groups then does nothing for those groups other than find ways for someone else to be forced to support them.

Simple question. If the homeless don't have food when it snows and you indicate you feel for them when they don't, why aren't you doing something on those days?
Conservative65, I'm now 90 miles from the nearest soup kitchen. Sorry, I pawned the horse and sleigh some time ago. You're doing it again--pretending to know what I do to support the hungry or homeless. Maybe trying to sensibly inform people of the problem is part of what I'm trying to do.

Conservative65, I'm now 90 miles from the nearest soup kitchen. Sorry, I pawned the horse and sleigh some time ago. You're doing it again--pretending to know what I do to support the hungry or homeless. Maybe trying to sensibly inform people of the problem is part of what I'm trying to do.

This isn't about the soup kitchen. It's about you saying you feel for people you obviously don't really care about enough to offset the soup kitchen closing. It's very clear you the only concern you have is feeling bad for them. If you truly cared, you wouldn't mention the soup kitchen and actually provide them what you say you feel bad about them not getting when it snows. If informing is all you're doing, you aren't doing a damn thing but making yourself feel better by saying you care.

Today, we have food pantries, instead of soup kitchens; check the churches, we hear a lot that is not complimentary, but churches lead the way, in many areas of the country, in helping the homeless.

Conservative65

What is it that YOU do for the less fortunate?

I'm serious. We help the homeless and food bank but if you've got a better idea, please share.

Thanks.

Conservative65

He apparently also knows your finances.

Its always those who do nothing who are the most critical of those who try to help.

I had an idea while at the dentist ... You know how they always give out those little baggies with a tooth brush and toothpaste, floss, info. I asked for just the tooth brushes and toothpaste - as many as they would give me - and took them to the homeless shelter.

A while back, we were checking into a hotel and I noticed a big box of those little individual wrapped soaps. Turned out they had been sold and were getting all new with different wrap on them. I asked for the soap and took it to the shelter.

Seems to me the homeless don't get things like their own soap that they don't have to share.

Anyway - I'd really like to hear ideas from others.

Conservative65

Its always those who do nothing who are the most critical of those who try to help.

I had an idea while at the dentist ... You know how they always give out those little baggies with a tooth brush and toothpaste, floss, info. I asked for just the tooth brushes and toothpaste - as many as they would give me - and took them to the homeless shelter.

A while back, we were checking into a hotel and I noticed a big box of those little individual wrapped soaps. Turned out they had been sold and were getting all new with different wrap on them. I asked for the soap and took it to the shelter.

Seems to me the homeless don't get things like their own soap that they don't have to share.

Plastic bagged wipes, travel size hand creams, one size fits all gloves (male, and female) towels and washcloths in multiple packs, handkerchiefs, warm, thick scarves, socks, and as for food:

Chicken, and tuna in pop open cans, canned hams, canned fruits likewise (try not to get in heavy syrup, some homeless are diabetics that get meds at the health department), peanut butter crackers, plastic jars of peanut butter. I will post more if you would like.
SMALL plastic containers to hold personal care products.

Conservative65

I know it's just silly wishful thinking, but I would like to give each of them at least one face to face opportunity to give people like conservative65 a big F**K YOU. Since I know it will never happen, I do it for them every chance I get.

Conservative65

Plastic bagged wipes, travel size hand creams, one size fits all gloves (male, and female) towels and washcloths in multiple packs, handkerchiefs, warm, thick scarves, socks, and as for food:

Chicken, and tuna in pop open cans, canned hams, canned fruits likewise (try not to get in heavy syrup, some homeless are diabetics that get meds at the health department), peanut butter crackers, plastic jars of peanut butter. I will post more if you would like.
SMALL plastic containers to hold personal care products.

Handwarmers
Nail clippers
AA batteries
Socks
Powdered juice mixes they can add to bottled water
Shoe strings
Stamps
Bus passes
Bug repellant
Band Aids
Antespetic creams
Instant coffee
Sugar packets

Ramen Noodles

Tell them if they need hot water most Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a few others will give them it at no charge.

Forum List

Back