Home security

but in your example, at least i have a gun. but if you don't have one, where are you? .

You are in a house with a dog making a shit load of noise. Probably not the house a thief wants to work if there are other options.

squat down, clap your hands, say come here boy. most dogs come with their tails wagging. what if you are allergic to dogs? what if you are just making ends meet feding yourself and you don;t want the expense of a dog. or want to deal with hair and the smell of an animal all over everything? i'll take a gun, a gun too serves a lot more purpose than just self defense

not to mention feeding, walking and all the other care it requires

This is exactly why I would never recommend a dog for home protection only.

If you love dogs, I would encourage it...but a dog is up to an 18+ year lifestyle commitment with numerous expenditures of both money and time.

Not good advice IMO for a purely home defense role.

Dogs have many benefits beyond home protection. Certainly many more than any other form of 'protection.'

Of course they do...and for a person who wants a dog for those qualities, the home protection aspect is a bonus.

Those seeking a home protection solution only should not be advised to acquire a canine to meet that requirement solely.

This is exactly why I would never recommend a dog for home protection only.

If you love dogs, I would encourage it...but a dog is up to an 18+ year lifestyle commitment with numerous expenditures of both money and time.

Not good advice IMO for a purely home defense role.

Dogs have many benefits beyond home protection. Certainly many more than any other form of 'protection.'

Of course they do...and for a person who wants a dog for those qualities, the home protection aspect is a bonus.

Those seeking a home protection solution only should not be advised to acquire a canine to meet that requirement solely.

A dog is just a backup if it's trained properly

but in your example, at least i have a gun. but if you don't have one, where are you? .

You are in a house with a dog making a shit load of noise. Probably not the house a thief wants to work if there are other options.

squat down, clap your hands, say come here boy. most dogs come with their tails wagging. what if you are allergic to dogs?

You don't know much about dogs.

what if you are just making ends meet feding yourself and you don;t want the expense of a dog. or want to deal with hair and the smell of an animal all over everything?

But you can afford to buy a gun, ammunition, service the weapon regularly, and accept the risk of someone accidentally killing you or themselves? I'm not arguing against owning a firearm, but everything has its expense and your arguments against owning a dog are beyond lame.

i can reach a gun without getting out of bed.

You might not always live alone (but it sounds like maybe you should).

don't worry, both my buys can reach a gun without getting out of bed too. my wife is a fair shot in her own right as well

If you and everyone in your family needs to sleep within arm's reach of a loaded weapon, you should think about moving to a better area or seeing a shrink.

That (some) people believe a gun is the first line of defense is scary, that's how accidents happen. Good locks, exterior lightening and man's best friend are the first line of home defense. Add a bit of common sense, an alarm system if truly scared, therapy if paranoid, and most Americans will be safe. If not they can always blame liberals if they must rely on 'only' a legal gun, or two, three or more.

Stand your ground thinking is stinking thinking and an excuse for some whose fantasy life is filled with firefights against the bad guys in gun battles where in their fantasy they always win. Real life isn't so.

I agree that you don't. It's obvious. Did you find a good shrink yet?

what if you are just making ends meet feding yourself and you don;t want the expense of a dog. or want to deal with hair and the smell of an animal all over everything?

But you can afford to buy a gun, ammunition, service the weapon regularly, and accept the risk of someone accidentally killing you or themselves? I'm not arguing against owning a firearm, but everything has its expense and your arguments against owning a dog are beyond lame.

if you own them only for self defense, there isn't much expense at all. my father had his pistol. when he died it had the same magazine with the same bullets in it that were there 40 years earlier. he had no expense at all. if you are like me who target shoots regularly, yea, there is a big expense. but its a hoby. I had a huge expense in film and development too before the onset of digital. but that's my choice. i've shot well over 100,000 rounds and no one has died. even accidentally.

You might not always live alone (but it sounds like maybe you should).

don't worry, both my buys can reach a gun without getting out of bed too. my wife is a fair shot in her own right as well

If you and everyone in your family needs to sleep within arm's reach of a loaded weapon, you should think about moving to a better area or seeing a shrink.

better safe than sorry. we'll be safe

That (some) people believe a gun is the first line of defense is scary, that's how accidents happen. Good locks, exterior lightening and man's best friend are the first line of home defense. Add a bit of common sense, an alarm system if truly scared, therapy if paranoid, and most Americans will be safe. If not they can always blame liberals if they must rely on 'only' a legal gun, or two, three or more.

Stand your ground thinking is stinking thinking and an excuse for some whose fantasy life is filled with firefights against the bad guys in gun battles where in their fantasy they always win. Real life isn't so.

precautions are great. they still get breached. then what do you do? I know what i do

better safe than sorry. we'll be safe

How about 'better sane than psycho'? Do you live in some post-apocalyptic war zone, Max?

Forum List

Back