Home prices rise

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In another sign of a turnaround in the long-battered real estate market, average home prices rebounded in July to the same level as they were nine years ago.

According to the closely watched S&P/Case-Shiller national home price index, which covers more than 80% of the housing market in the United States, the typical home price in July rose 1.6% compared to the previous month.

Home prices back to '03 levels - Sep. 25, 2012

""Clearly the worst is behind us for this market., but this is not a market that is going to take off again," he said. "While you have a firming up, you still have tight lending standards and people who have been burned are reluctant or unable to get back in the market." He predicts it will take several more years before housing prices can gain more than 1% to 2% a year. "

Home prices back to '03 levels - Sep. 25, 2012

Alert the media! :cool:

Last edited:
Still down 10% year over year here in Atlanta, according to the news I just heard on the radio...

Printing 40 billion dollars in funny money every month causes prices and values to rise. That's what inflation is all about.

Rebounding from where, Chris? A house here, on the market for 1.4 mil in 2003 will still fetch you only 600 thou today, less than half the value it represented nine years ago and still less than it cost to build then.
That 800 thou is still missing, still gone more or less permanently to money Heaven, the same place as the money in those long ago 1929 stock portfolios after that long ago memorable October Market Crash and still having the same depressing results on the economy. That's 800 thou worth of goods and services that don't get bought. How many Chryslers and Chevy volts would 800 thou buy, or refrigerators, or TVs, i phones and i pads, or days and nights at the Breakers in West Palm Beach, or flights on American Airlines to get there? The economy's still going to suck for a long time until that's corrected, and that takes jobs. The guy who recently brought us that little four man "Bump in the road" in Libya ain't gonna bring us any jobs either. See how quickly the jobs at the Chevy Volt plant evaporated. Or at Solyndra? The guys who chipped into the campaign because they thought it would be kinda nice to have a Commie in the office of the president didn't turn out to be the best job creators either.

Rebounding from where, Chris? A house here, on the market for 1.4 mil in 2003 will still fetch you only 600 thou today, less than half the value it represented nine years ago and still less than it cost to build then.
That 800 thou is still missing, still gone more or less permanently to money Heaven, the same place as the money in those long ago 1929 stock portfolios after that long ago memorable October Market Crash and still having the same depressing results on the economy. That's 800 thou worth of goods and services that don't get bought. How many Chryslers and Chevy volts would 800 thou buy, or refrigerators, or TVs, i phones and i pads, or days and nights at the Breakers in West Palm Beach, or flights on American Airlines to get there? The economy's still going to suck for a long time until that's corrected, and that takes jobs. The guy who recently brought us that little four man "Bump in the road" in Libya ain't gonna bring us any jobs either. See how quickly the jobs at the Chevy Volt plant evaporated. Or at Solyndra? The guys who chipped into the campaign because they thought it would be kinda nice to have a Commie in the office of the president didn't turn out to be the best job creators either.

One thouse hat I own was purchased for $260,000. Went as high as $435,000. The same one next door just sold for $255,000.

What a rebound!

Yeah, I wonder if any of those banks that Bush bailed out after they caused this mess, have actuall learned yet that Credit Default Swaps are a bad thing?

The recovery continues.....

Umemployment has dropped from 10.2% to 8.1%
The stock market has doubled since the stimulus.
4.5 million private sector jobs have been created since 2009.
GDP has been growing since 2009.
Americans net worth is up $10 trillion dollars since 2009.
Auto sales are up. Retail sales are up. Home sales are up.

Stick to the subject you statred for now...the housing rebound. We can slap you around later on the rest of the lack of a recovery.

Yeah, I wonder if any of those banks that Bush bailed out after they caused this mess, have actuall learned yet that Credit Default Swaps are a bad thing?

Talk about housing there VanWinkle. That's the topic. Going to divert again like you always do?

Talk about housing there VanWinkle. That's the topic. Going to divert again like you always do?

And the banks that held the notes to said houses, and also USED to lend money to construction companies do not have a role in this? REALLY?

All that extra money being printed doesn't have a thing to do with it, right?

You remember QE3, dontcha?

More money means higher prices, not higher VALUES...

And the banks that held the notes to said houses, and also USED to lend money to construction companies do not have a role in this? REALLY?

This is the premise of his thread:

In another sign of a turnaround in the long-battered real estate market, average home prices rebounded in July to the same level as they were nine years ago.

According to the closely watched S&P/Case-Shiller national home price index, which covers more than 80% of the housing market in the United States, the typical home price in July rose 1.6% compared to the previous month.

Where exactly does Bush fit into a conversation about TODAY'S housing market and whether it's rebounding or not?

In another sign of a turnaround in the long-battered real estate market, average home prices rebounded in July to the same level as they were nine years ago.

Where exactly does Bush fit into a conversation about TODAY'S housing market and whether it's rebounding or not?

Until the banks that Bush bailed out actually begin lending money again, home prices will remain diminished.

Until the banks that Bush bailed out actually begin lending money again, home prices will remain diminished.

So then you agree there really is little rebound if any?

Interest rates are at historic lows. It's not that banks aren't lending, they are flush with funny money. It's that no one is borrowing. Businesses aren't borrowing, they aren't borrowing to invest or expand. They are hunkering down doing nothing.

So then you agree there really is little rebound if any?

I do, indeed. While we may have finally found the bottom, that is not cause for celebration...

Interest rates are at historic lows. It's not that banks aren't lending, they are flush with funny money. It's that no one is borrowing. Businesses aren't borrowing, they aren't borrowing to invest or expand. They are hunkering down doing nothing.

I have many employees who have attempted to take advantage of the "historically low" interest rates in an attempt to refinance. Try it sometime and let me know how well you fare jumping through all of the new hoops banks have put in place. I.e., they are NOT lending.

that 8.1 unemployment is a made up number because of so MANY people who dropped off looking for work and YOU KNOW IT

4.5 million jobs that are mostly min wage jobs.. And a drop in abucket on how many people who are unemployed

Stock market has nothing to do with Obama
GDP is up not according to this article from a day ago GDP data, weak profits could weigh on stocks - Market Day which will not help your stock argument

The only peoples who net worth that is up is the highest earners everyone else has plummet by 40 %
Family net worth plummets 40% - Jun. 11, 2012

Auto sales are only up only single digits and not looking good for 2013 Auto Sales Growth Expected to Slow in 2013 - TheStreet

You were saying.. Oh yeah how did that scott recall go for you Chris

Forum List

Back