Home Depot Founder: Obama's Regulations Are Killing Businesses

While President Obama insists only a “balanced” approach to the debt crisis that includes higher taxes is acceptable, the founder of one of America’s most successful retail businesses claims the president doesn’t have a clue about the economy. Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus told Investors Business Daily in an interview yesterday the president hasn’t the faintest idea of how jobs are created, but businessmen are intimidated into silence about the administration’s faulty policies. According to Marcus:

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration.

Home Depot Founder: Obama

This is the business that builds shade stations for the illegal day workers hanging out outside their doors......

probably a federal regulation...

Last edited:
While President Obama insists only a “balanced” approach to the debt crisis that includes higher taxes is acceptable, the founder of one of America’s most successful retail businesses claims the president doesn’t have a clue about the economy. Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus told Investors Business Daily in an interview yesterday the president hasn’t the faintest idea of how jobs are created, but businessmen are intimidated into silence about the administration’s faulty policies. According to Marcus:

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration."

Intimidated that they will be forced to pay fair taxes? fair wages? Fair business practices? If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worried.

Funny, I have some contractors over the past year that have taken their business to Lowes from Home Depot, is he going to blame that on Obama too?

This post reminds me very much of people who think we don't need legal restrictions on law enforcement because "if you aren't breaking the law, you don't have anything to be afraid of." Yeah, because we can ABSOLUTELY count on the government to be fair, equitable, and non-intrusive on its own, out of the goodness of its collective heart, without ANY restriction. :cuckoo:

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration.

Perhaps Bernie Marcus and the "executives of major companies"would prefer to have Rupert Murdoch running the economy - rumor has it he knows a few things about "businessmen ... intimidated into silence " and "faulty policies!"

Last edited:
Home Depot is the place to 'hire' cheap labor, so contractrors and slum lords as well as some homeowners don't have to pay into Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, UE Insursnce, etc etc.. Maybe the founder ought to police his own parking lot before he offers critiscism of anyone else.

If you're opposed to illegal immigrants you ought to boycott Home Depot.

That's just plain stupid....Home Depot is not encouraging the illegals that hang around their stores looking for work....i know of some stores that have fenced off their lots in order to keep them away...but the illegals still hang around the streets outside the fences...

maybe if the Federal Government did ITS job there wouldn't be this problem...

Home Depot doesn't have a whole lot of choice about "policing its parking lots" in many areas, because liberals have mangled the laws there so badly that trying to move along those illegals loitering around out there would just get HD sued for discrimination.

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration."

Intimidated that they will be forced to pay fair taxes? fair wages? Fair business practices? If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worried.

Funny, I have some contractors over the past year that have taken their business to Lowes from Home Depot, is he going to blame that on Obama too?

This post reminds me very much of people who think we don't need legal restrictions on law enforcement because "if you aren't breaking the law, you don't have anything to be afraid of." Yeah, because we can ABSOLUTELY count on the government to be fair, equitable, and non-intrusive on its own, out of the goodness of its collective heart, without ANY restriction. :cuckoo:

Without restrictions, you have what we have now. If you don't want them, fine, but don't complain when those lack of restrictions causes you to lose your hose like many military members did illegally over the past few years.

He's always been a rightwing hack.

Home Depot has been sliding down the toilet for a few years and it has nothing to do with Obama.

Home Depot drove virtually every other smaller operator out of my area and Home Depot is BUSY every time I've ever been there,

despite the historical slump in housing.

This idiot is just jawboning for MORE concessions to business and using the cyclical slump as a phony excuse.

What is the hard on you people have for small businesses that can't compete?

All I used to have was a small lumberyard to buy supplies from and quite frankly they had absolute shit for selection and more often than not I would have to wait a week or more for much needed supplies.

Now all I have to do is call the pro desk and HD and all my stuff is delivered in a day or two.

If those smaller businesses were smart they would realize the HD cannot carry everything and that a lot of niche products that are in high demand are still tough to get. It is in these specialty areas that the small business thrives because the big box stores are weak in these areas.

That's what the small hardware stores in my area do: they carry niche, specialty stuff that the big boxes don't bother with, and they offer really knowledgeable assistance and customer service that I can't get anywhere else (Often, the advice they give me is SPECIFICALLY which items to go ahead and buy at Home Depot, and which ones to get there). Most of my home improvement projects involve a trip to BOTH Home Depot and the small hardware store now.

Home Depot doesn't have a whole lot of choice about "policing its parking lots" in many areas, because liberals have mangled the laws there so badly that trying to move along those illegals loitering around out there would just get HD sued for discrimination.

Hilarious, how about showing some proof of these "illegals" that are surrounding the poor defenseless Home Depot :lol:

:eusa_liar:

Businesses are now just holding their noses waiting for the stench of this Presidency to go away in 2012. They're in a holding-freeze on hiring. Once this guy is gone,they will likely begin hiring again. Make 2012 count America.

So you admit that they are purposely holding the country hostage over taxes and politics. Thank you. They should be tried for treason IMO.

No one has an obligation to make bad business decisions and put themselves in bankruptcy just so YOU can pat yourself on the back and feel warm and fuzzy about how "fair" you are with other people's money, you greedy turd.

You want to talk about treason, how about enacting policies that make businesses afraid to operate in the first place?

Home Depot is the place to 'hire' cheap labor, so contractrors and slum lords as well as some homeowners don't have to pay into Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, UE Insursnce, etc etc.. Maybe the founder ought to police his own parking lot before he offers critiscism of anyone else.

That's just plain stupid....Home Depot is not encouraging the illegals that hang around their stores looking for work....i know of some stores that have fenced off their lots in order to keep them away...but the illegals still hang around the streets outside the fences...

so true....just look at liberal SanFransicko.....where loitering is elevated to an art.....

This is the business that builds shade stations for the illegal day workers hanging out outside their doors......

That, or they just don't want to get sued when some loser illegal has heatstroke while loitering around their parking lot. In a country where a burglar can sue the owner of the home he's broken into because he injured himself while doing it, you can never be too careful.

That, or they just don't want to get sued when some loser illegal has heatstroke while loitering around their parking lot. In a country where a burglar can sue the owner of the home he's broken into because he injured himself while doing it, you can never be too careful.

yep....or the ACLU will getcha...

i wonder....do they also provide drinking fountains in their shade stations.....much like the way they provide water stations for illegals sneaking here across the deserts...?

The brilliance of this one is astounding!!

guess putting thousands of workers onto unemployment is just fine. The people that work at HD are fathers, mothers, young people just starting out,but to ease this bone heads little liberal brain that wouldn't matter.

rather disgusting actually.

Time to face reality,this administration is not working out at all.

Businesses are now just holding their noses waiting for the stench of this Presidency to go away in 2012. They're in a holding-freeze on hiring. Once this guy is gone,they will likely begin hiring again. Make 2012 count America.

So you admit that they are purposely holding the country hostage over taxes and politics. Thank you. They should be tried for treason IMO.

They are the American people. We need to get the burdens of the government off our back and restore freedom and liberty.

I'm not sure why you despise them so much. But that we would prefer it if you stop holding us hostage to big government.

HD is not discouraging them in California, maybe someplaces, but not in my community. And, besides, private contractors and slum lords as well as small business are the primary employers of workers without the legal right to work in our country.

They're probably not allowed to in California. Cali is famous for endowing more "rights"
on illegals then native born citizens enjoy.

Making it impossible for small businesses to profit is what led to the explosion of economic powerhouses like Home Depot and Walmart.

Shut industry down, guess what? OUTSOURCING.

Forum List

Back