Home demolitions on the increase

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Saigon, May 29, 2012.

1. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    BBC reports this morning that the us of home demolitions by the IDF is increasing...

Reduced To Rubble

"Wood-fired barbecue was our speciality. Delicious," says Ramzi Kasiyah as he picks his way gingerly over a pile of rubble and twisted metal. Broken glass crackles under his feet.

"We had a beautiful terrace. Now I have nothing."

Up until a few weeks ago Ramzi was the proud owner of the Palestinian Al Mukhrur restaurant just outside Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank.

Now he presides over what looks like a bomb site, a grey scar in a beautiful, small valley, still lush from the winter's rains.

At the beginning of May, Israeli forces flattened the restaurant.

Ramzi shows me a mobile phone video of huge yellow diggers smashing through the roof, as he and his staff looked on helplessly

"12 years' work was gone in 5 minutes," he says.

BBC News - Palestinians see 'sharp increase' in demolitions

I have no problem at all with demoliting the home of a terrorist...but the concept of collective punishment and demolishing the homes of innocent people goes against all concepts of known justice. It does more to endanger Israel by creating terror than it does to ensure peace and security.

2. Hossfly

Hossfly ZIONUT Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,516
    I feel great empathy with the people but their situation is the fault of their leaders. Put some honest leadership in Palestine, get rid of Hamas and the Israelis will lighten up.

3. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I agree that Palestinian leadership back to Arafat share a lot of blame for the plight of the Palestinian people.

But punishing individual people for the failings of their elected representatives is not justice.

Israel has a terrible habit of punishing innocent Palestinians while blaming Palestinians for continuing and escalating the conflict. In doing so, Israel undermines its own case.

If you sit next to a bully at school, there are times you might need to stand and fight. But it doesn't seem clever to keep provoking the guy by stealing his lunchbox either.

4. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    According to the BBC story the demolished restaurant was built illegaly, without a permit. In many countries it is common practice to demolish illegally constructed buildings. Happens in Belgium too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Why do the Palestinians need to get permits from foreign assholes to build on their own land in their own country?

6. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    The Palestinian territories are not a country. They are controlled by Israel.

7. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Even if this building was built illegally, many others demolished recently were built legally.

As Tinmore says, Israel is not in a strong position to issue building permits outside of their own legal borders, and to people not citizens or residents of Israel.

8. P F Tinmore

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    That's what I said. Why do they need to get permits from foreign assholes?

9. P F Tinmore

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Israel is enforcing its laws in occupied territory.

Isn't that illegal?

10. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I don't deny Israeli authorities also sometimes destroy buildings as a form of collective punishment and I don't think that's a wise policy. But I judge every case on its merits. And in the case of this restaurant there were clearly legitimate reasons to demolish it and it is clearly being used for propaganda.

Israel exercises sovereign control over the West Bank. To say it should control the issuance of building permits implies that nothing should have been constructed there for the past 45 years. That's pretty ludicrous.