Home demolitions on the increase

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
BBC reports this morning that the us of home demolitions by the IDF is increasing...

Reduced To Rubble

"Wood-fired barbecue was our speciality. Delicious," says Ramzi Kasiyah as he picks his way gingerly over a pile of rubble and twisted metal. Broken glass crackles under his feet.

"We had a beautiful terrace. Now I have nothing."

Up until a few weeks ago Ramzi was the proud owner of the Palestinian Al Mukhrur restaurant just outside Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank.

Now he presides over what looks like a bomb site, a grey scar in a beautiful, small valley, still lush from the winter's rains.

At the beginning of May, Israeli forces flattened the restaurant.

Ramzi shows me a mobile phone video of huge yellow diggers smashing through the roof, as he and his staff looked on helplessly

"12 years' work was gone in 5 minutes," he says.

BBC News - Palestinians see 'sharp increase' in demolitions

I have no problem at all with demoliting the home of a terrorist...but the concept of collective punishment and demolishing the homes of innocent people goes against all concepts of known justice. It does more to endanger Israel by creating terror than it does to ensure peace and security.

BBC reports this morning that the us of home demolitions by the IDF is increasing...

Reduced To Rubble

"Wood-fired barbecue was our speciality. Delicious," says Ramzi Kasiyah as he picks his way gingerly over a pile of rubble and twisted metal. Broken glass crackles under his feet.

Up until a few weeks ago Ramzi was the proud owner of the Palestinian Al Mukhrur restaurant just outside Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank.

Now he presides over what looks like a bomb site, a grey scar in a beautiful, small valley, still lush from the winter's rains.

Ramzi shows me a mobile phone video of huge yellow diggers smashing through the roof, as he and his staff looked on helplessly

I have no problem at all with demoliting the home of a terrorist...but the concept of collective punishment and demolishing the homes of innocent people goes against all concepts of known justice. It does more to endanger Israel by creating terror than it does to ensure peace and security.
I feel great empathy with the people but their situation is the fault of their leaders. Put some honest leadership in Palestine, get rid of Hamas and the Israelis will lighten up.

I agree that Palestinian leadership back to Arafat share a lot of blame for the plight of the Palestinian people.

But punishing individual people for the failings of their elected representatives is not justice.

Israel has a terrible habit of punishing innocent Palestinians while blaming Palestinians for continuing and escalating the conflict. In doing so, Israel undermines its own case.

If you sit next to a bully at school, there are times you might need to stand and fight. But it doesn't seem clever to keep provoking the guy by stealing his lunchbox either.

Reduced To Rubble

According to the BBC story the demolished restaurant was built illegaly, without a permit. In many countries it is common practice to demolish illegally constructed buildings. Happens in Belgium too.

Reduced To Rubble

According to the BBC story the demolished restaurant was built illegaly, without a permit. In many countries it is common practice to demolish illegally constructed buildings. Happens in Belgium too.

Why do the Palestinians need to get permits from foreign assholes to build on their own land in their own country?

Reduced To Rubble

Why do the Palestinians need to get permits from foreign assholes to build on their own land in their own country?

The Palestinian territories are not a country. They are controlled by Israel.

Even if this building was built illegally, many others demolished recently were built legally.

As Tinmore says, Israel is not in a strong position to issue building permits outside of their own legal borders, and to people not citizens or residents of Israel.

The Palestinian territories are not a country. They are controlled by Israel.

That's what I said. Why do they need to get permits from foreign assholes?

Even if this building was built illegally, many others demolished recently were built legally.

As Tinmore says, Israel is not in a strong position to issue building permits outside of their own legal borders, and to people not citizens or residents of Israel.

Israel is enforcing its laws in occupied territory.

Isn't that illegal?

I don't deny Israeli authorities also sometimes destroy buildings as a form of collective punishment and I don't think that's a wise policy. But I judge every case on its merits. And in the case of this restaurant there were clearly legitimate reasons to demolish it and it is clearly being used for propaganda.

Israel exercises sovereign control over the West Bank. To say it should control the issuance of building permits implies that nothing should have been constructed there for the past 45 years. That's pretty ludicrous.

Isn't that illegal?

As the state exercising sovereign control over these territories, Israel has the obligation to uphold laws there.

I don't deny Israeli authorities also sometimes destroy buildings as a form of collective punishment and I don't think that's a wise policy. But I judge every case on its merits. And in the case of this restaurant there were clearly legitimate reasons to demolish it and it is clearly being used for propaganda.

Israel exercises sovereign control over the West Bank. To say it should control the issuance of building permits implies that nothing should have been constructed there for the past 45 years. That's pretty ludicrous.

Actually, Israel demolishes homes because they are assholes and that is a form of ethnic cleansing.

Actually, Israel demolishes homes because they are assholes and that is a form of ethnic cleansing.

You're just a racist liar.

You're just a racist liar.

Didn't you just use that one?

If you are going to be a good name caller, you need to be more imaginative.

Isn't that illegal?

As the state exercising sovereign control over these territories, Israel has the obligation to uphold laws there.

I honestly don't believe that is true - I don't believe it has any legal right to do anything at all in the West Bank.

If taking to mind that house demolishing is "illegal" and "immoral", what is your suggestion to the way we should deal with those who committe terrorism against innocent Israelis?

If taking to mind that house demolishing is "illegal" and "immoral", what is your suggestion to the way we should deal with those who committe terrorism against innocent Israelis?

Terrorism is an Israeli, bullshit, propaganda term.

Israel destroys homes because they are assholes and they want to steal the land.

They are lower than whale shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAb2Gm6VCI]ISRAELI HOME DEMOLITION POLICY - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back