Hold on: Wait a cotton picken second - Obama that weak on national security?

I'm still wrapping my mine around the reasons why we shouldn't be in Poland and why Russia should be in Cuba? :confused:

Who says we're not in Poland? You're conflating two different things. I'm confused that you think we're being kicked out of Poland. We could be in Cuba, too. Just stop the embargo and normalize relations. We've done it with Viet Nam and we really fought a war over there.

As long as you are parsing, the Viet Nam conflict wasn't a war but was "police action". :eusa_eh:

I'm not parsing. You're deflecting. You want to talk "war vs police action", when the topic is our relative positions in Poland and Cuba. Is Putin putting missiles in Cuba? That's a direct question. Got an answer? :eusa_whistle:

Who says we're not in Poland? You're conflating two different things. I'm confused that you think we're being kicked out of Poland. We could be in Cuba, too. Just stop the embargo and normalize relations. We've done it with Viet Nam and we really fought a war over there.

As long as you are parsing, the Viet Nam conflict wasn't a war but was "police action". :eusa_eh:

I'm not parsing. You're deflecting. You want to talk "war vs police action", when the topic is our relative positions in Poland and Cuba. Is Putin putting missiles in Cuba? That's a direct question. Got an answer? :eusa_whistle:

Do you really know that he isn't? Maybe a warship in port in the future? Who the hell knows, but you're willing to give your good buddies (Russia) the keys to Cuba? Sheesh

I bet you haven't even asked yourself why Russia would do that, have you?

The anti missile base in Poland is designed to counter an attack from Iran, not Russia. Russia objects because it is also a defense against an attack by Russia to Eastern Europe. Russia intends to reconstitute the Soviet Union and recapture the breakaway republics that gained independence when the Soviet Union collapsed.

One of the reasons obama would abandon an anti missile base in Poland is that it would open the route for Iran to bomb Europe.

I love how you gloss over glaring details. Are you that dense or just purposely truculent?

Glaring details? What would those be? Is Putin putting missiles in Cuba?

I was more thinking of the fact that we were dealing with a Democratic Vietnam as opposed to a communist Cuba. But undoubtedly Putin is hostile and he has the worst human rights record of any western power. So why would you want a nuclear Russia operating 90 miles from our shore?

Ahhh, come on! Remember Uncle Joe? The USSR! Of course the Liberal love it and openly embrace Putin with a big wet kiss!

Bases in Cuba? Yeah sure!

I love how you gloss over glaring details. Are you that dense or just purposely truculent?

I was more thinking of the fact that we were dealing with a Democratic Vietnam as opposed to a communist Cuba. But undoubtedly Putin is hostile and he has the worst human rights record of any western power. So why would you want a nuclear Russia operating 90 miles from our shore?

How is it any different than in the past? If the SU couldn't do anything with Cuba, how do you expect Russia to? This appears to be nothing more than the Reps trying to create a boogeyman, because they've lost their cred as the party that's better at protecting America.

How is it any different than in the past? If the SU couldn't do anything with Cuba, how do you expect Russia to? This appears to be nothing more than the Reps trying to create a boogeyman, because they've lost their cred as the party that's better at protecting America.

Who says the SU couldn't do anything before? And who says they can't do anything now? And again, why the hell would you want to trust Putin?

Who says the SU couldn't do anything before? And who says they can't do anything now? And again, why the hell would you want to trust Putin?

Who said I trusted Putin? I said the Reps are trying to create a boogeyman to shore up their badly damaged national security cred. The SU had warships in Cuban harbors and supported them financially, but we're still here. What could Putin be doing that's any more worrisome?

Who said I trusted Putin? I said the Reps are trying to create a boogeyman to shore up their badly damaged national security cred. The SU had warships in Cuban harbors and supported them financially, but we're still here. What could Putin be doing that's any more worrisome?

Saying that reps are trying to cook something up with Putin is like saying that JFK was trying to cook something up with Kruschev. You either realize the man is really dangerous or you're an idiot.

Saying that reps are trying to cook something up with Putin is like saying that JFK was trying to cook something up with Kruschev. You either realize the man is really dangerous or you're an idiot.

Kennedy did cook something up with Kruschev. He agreed to take missiles out of Turkey, if the SU stopped putting missiles in Cuba. Pumping up Putin to make him appear to be a neo-Stalin, just reinforces my thesis that the Reps are cooking up a boogeyman.

Kennedy did cook something up with Kruschev. He agreed to take missiles out of Turkey, if the SU stopped putting missiles in Cuba. Pumping up Putin to make him appear to be a neo-Stalin, just reinforces my thesis that the Reps are cooking up a boogeyman.

I don't think the repubs are trying to cook up a boogeyman, rather than just trying not to let something that could come back and haunt us. Kind of like being proactive instead of reactive. :eusa_whistle:

Bingo...it is against Iran's missiles.

Of course, Russia is currently helping Iran with their nukes, missiles, etc but we're supposed to listen to Russia like a bunch of idiots according to liberals.

Russia is not our friend, never have been and never will be. They supported Saddam against us, they support Assad killing thousands right now, they support Iran getting nukes to kill Americans and the Jews, etc. they are the world's troublemaker.

Anything Russia says to do, then do the opposite.

The anti missile base in Poland is designed to counter an attack from Iran, not Russia. Russia objects because it is also a defense against an attack by Russia to Eastern Europe. Russia intends to reconstitute the Soviet Union and recapture the breakaway republics that gained independence when the Soviet Union collapsed.

One of the reasons obama would abandon an anti missile base in Poland is that it would open the route for Iran to bomb Europe.

Who's calling Stalin a neo-Stalin? Why do you insist on putting such extreme terms in my mouth? Look at Putin's record. He has a poor human rights record, he has shredded their constitution, he has clearly acted as a dictator and not a president, he has been a war mongerer, he is the former head of the kgb. What the hell else do you need to be weary of the man?

A strong Russia is in our interest? They're in KGB mode dude. They're probably the biggest human rights violators in the industrialized world.

When did we start caring about that? Human rights are only things we pretend to care about when people we don't like abuse them.

If you accept that the biggest threat to America today is Jihadism (I personally don't, but let's play pretend and say it is) then a strong, anti-Islamic Russian Federation really does help hem them in to the north, doesn't it. And a strong Russia that can intervene in all the places that end in "-stan" is in our best interest.

Of course, the real threats to America are corporatism and globalism... but don't let that stop you guys, you all think that's really kewl.

Oh, your theory about Russia is ridiculous. Russia's interests are not ours. That they would be strong doesn't mean they'll do jack shit for us against terrorism. It will work against us because it is in their interests to limit our involvement in the stans, which will limit our ability to deal with Islamists.
Russia was po'd at Poland in 2008 over an area called Ossidia.

It goes back over a thousand years, those two. Oil and water.

Russia can't stand the thought of America in Poland. It just creeps them out.

Too bad. They're great people for the most part, but they're having a hard time catching on to free enterprise with nobody bossing them around like the old days. People got addicted to turning their neighbors in to the big bad KGB. Where does one begin?

Obama secretly promises Putin that he'll take our missiles out of Poland (a move he never explained to the American people even after it was caught, unless you're a nitwit that accepts 'it's complicated' as an answer); and now to reward that alleged act of goodwill, Putin is looking at making a naval base in Cuba 90 miles from our border?

Well, I guess Billy didn't call him "the amateur" for nothing.

Russia wants naval bases abroad: report - Yahoo! News

I didn't see anything about Obama giving Putin permission. Dumb ass.

I see no where in GGs post where he claimed Obama gave permission. Dumb ass.

Furthermore, it's not Obama's place to give permission. That would fall to the Castros...

When did we start caring about that? Human rights are only things we pretend to care about when people we don't like abuse them.

If you accept that the biggest threat to America today is Jihadism (I personally don't, but let's play pretend and say it is) then a strong, anti-Islamic Russian Federation really does help hem them in to the north, doesn't it. And a strong Russia that can intervene in all the places that end in "-stan" is in our best interest.

Of course, the real threats to America are corporatism and globalism... but don't let that stop you guys, you all think that's really kewl.

Oh, your theory about Russia is ridiculous. Russia's interests are not ours. That they would be strong doesn't mean they'll do jack shit for us against terrorism. It will work against us because it is in their interests to limit our involvement in the stans, which will limit our ability to deal with Islamists.
Russia was po'd at Poland in 2008 over an area called Ossidia.

It goes back over a thousand years, those two. Oil and water.

Russia can't stand the thought of America in Poland. It just creeps them out.

Too bad. They're great people for the most part, but they're having a hard time catching on to free enterprise with nobody bossing them around like the old days. People got addicted to turning their neighbors in to the big bad KGB. Where does one begin?

How about 'Hey, that's on the othe side of the freaking planet and has nothing to do with us" would be a good place to start.

Last time I checked, we were broke as a country.

Who's calling Stalin a neo-Stalin? Why do you insist on putting such extreme terms in my mouth? Look at Putin's record. He has a poor human rights record, he has shredded their constitution, he has clearly acted as a dictator and not a president, he has been a war mongerer, he is the former head of the kgb. What the hell else do you need to be weary of the man?

You complain about the term neo-Stalin, then you describe a neo-Stalin. I think you need to proof read your posts better.

I don't think the repubs are trying to cook up a boogeyman, rather than just trying not to let something that could come back and haunt us. Kind of like being proactive instead of reactive. :eusa_whistle:

How would they be proactive? What could possibly keep Russian ships out of Cuban harbors, short of war? I's easy to make those kinds of comments, but quite another thing to have them make sense.

How would they be proactive? What could possibly keep Russian ships out of Cuban harbors, short of war? I's easy to make those kinds of comments, but quite another thing to have them make sense.

Well for one thing, that was the point of the OP. Why would Obama offer to take missiles out of Poland if Russia is going to turn around and put a base in Cuba? It's called leverage and Obama clearly doesn't care about it. It's not surprising given that he grew up a communist.

Forum List

Back