HOA's suck

The problem with most HOAs is that the board of directors is composed of people who have nothing else to do and get their kicks intruding on the lives of others. Ex-military officers are the worst.

A well run HOA has benefits, some of which might compensate for some of the bullshit. At a certain age it's nice to have someone else responsible for lawn care, sewer/water, driveway maintenance, etc. Even exterior building maintenance, including the roof. Of course that's if the HOA is wrapped up in a condo development. If one is living in a HOA and doesn't like the way it's being run then the answer is to get elected to the board. Sadly most boards are already dominated by people who don't have to work so working people are shut out by holding meetings at times when worker-bees have to be....at work.

Inevitably infested with a sprinkling of power-trippers, the HOAs are always run by a bunch of Little Hitlers, and it's best to just suck it up, and, if you can crack the inner circle, enjoy the spectacle of the internecine blood-letting.

Inevitably infested with a sprinkling of power-trippers, the HOAs are always run by a bunch of Little Hitlers, and it's best to just suck it up, and, if you can crack the inner circle, enjoy the spectacle of the internecine blood-letting.
Cant put up a flag, cant paint your house a certain color etc etc cant cant cant....

....and drink. Nothing to do but bitch and drink.

Little communities with their own restaurant and pub? Holy crap. The board is toasted by 8:00 pm.

HOAs are mini-gestapos. I thank God I don't have to deal with that, after hearing many, many horror stories.

I got a great laugh a couple weeks ago while going through a neighborhood.

In the front yard, leaning on a tree was a piece of plywood with 6 large letters spray-painted on it:

HOA
GFY

Why would anyone want to live in them?
They're fine if they're genuinely interested in keeping the value of the homes in the area up but that's rarely the case usually they nitpick about stupid stuff we used to pay almost $150 every quarter and the only value I saw was that they plowed and maintain the grass and even then that was hit or miss

One good thing about buying a home with an HOA is that you can back out of your contract up until the point of sale. God knows I wish I had

HOAs are mini-gestapos. I thank God I don't have to deal with that, after hearing many, many horror stories.

I got a great laugh a couple weeks ago while going through a neighborhood.

In the front yard, leaning on a tree was a piece of plywood with 6 large letters spray-painted on it:

HOA
GFY
I just updated and consolidated several declarations for a large community in another state, and a sign like this would have warranted a citation.

The bylaws can get petty, but builders, it seems like, are subject to more rules than residents are (except in the most Nazi-like HOAs).

On Hilton Head South Carolina, they call the communities "Plantations".

Who wants to guess at why they call them Plantations?

Forum List

Back