Hoarders and Voyeurs

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by mal, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Hoarders - Video - A&E TV

Let me Start by saying that I Can't stand the Voyeur Culture that we have...

Having said that, like with Car Accidents, I have had the Occasion to Look when it's there and a Particularly Disturbing Example of this Society's Voyeurism is a the Show "Hoarders".

Of the Shows I have caught some of, I can Conclude that these People are Mentally Ill and should be Treated as Such.

"Helping" them Work Through the Inevitable by Digging through Piles and Years of Human Feces is simply Wrong...

There is only ONE Reason to do this, and it's for the Sick Amusement of the Viewing Audience.

Humoring Sick People for the Entertainment of the Masses is just Wrong in my Opinion.

I'm not even Sure these People are Mentally Capable of Consenting to having their Mental Illness Paraded around the World, Literally...

The Episode I Watched had a Women who was Living in her Dead Parents House who were the First Generation of Hoarders, and she was Bad enough, but the Old Lady who was Swimming around in her own Feces from YEARS of Adult Diapers just be Tossed around the House...

Well, that was as Disgusting as it is Sad.

The Fact that she could have Done this for YEARS without her Children, or ANYONE for that Matter Noticing, is a Reflection of our Society... And a Tragic one at that.

But did the World Need to be Witness to it?...

And is it Honestly Therapeutic for her Mentally to be an Unwitting Media Stooge for Advertising Revenue and the Entertainment of Voyeurs from the Comfort of their Living Rooms?

I won't Watch it again, but I can Understand why People do.

Probably Makes them Feel Better about themselves to see others that Bad Off.

:)

peace...

2. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Having Personal Experience with Stroke and it's Affects, I'd say that the Women with the Feces all over her House had Suffered at Least One.

She should've been in Assisted Living 2 Years Earlier instead of as a Sideshow 2 Years Later.

Here Tubby Daughter who Stood in Judgement of her as the Show Exploited her Mother is another Story Entirely...

MeThinks she Probably Called the Show in the First Place.

peace...

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Well of course her daughter called the show.

I've watched "Clean This House" or whatever it's called and it ended up being about a hoarder. I hoped it was going to be tips on how to clean house for people who are pathological bad housekeepers.

I'm a pathologically horrible housekeeper. I hate it, and I'm BAD at it. I can do it in other people's houses, I can set things up nicely in a NEW home, but for some reason I can't maintain my house. My mom couldn't (and can't) either so I blame her.

I'm not a hoarder, though. I could care less about the crap that clutters my house, obviously. Throw it all away, I could care less.

Anyway, I watched Clean This House or whatever it was, and it ended up being about a woman who hoards and there were no tips. Just the team going in there, confronting the woman, and working through her house with her and her daughter. The mom was actually really good about it...I don't think she's a true hoarder. She was a shopaholic, though, she had tons of new stuff she didn't need. But she didn't care when they got rid of it. The daughter had a little tantrum and drove away, I quit watching after that. I'm like tell me what to DO, not how insane people are. I already KNOW that.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    i tend to be a hoarder ..i would always class myself as one..till i saw that show...i dont know if its a learned behavior or not...i know my mother is a pat rack...you wouldnt know it from the house...but dare to open a closet...bolts of silks from vietnam....i would say it has dry rotted by now....crazy stuff....in them closets....my cousin is a hoarder...you cannot walk thru the house for the stacks of papers and magazines....she is the closest family to me...i dont visit her...she has over 50 fucking birds in the house...i dont care how small they are...50 of them....i digress...but i have to wonder from my family....is it learned or is there some weird ass genetic thing...

it is funny....when you do the ocd mal...you know you are doing it....i know i dont need to unlock the door and check the fire ...i know i checked it..but i do it anyway....i check the doors...a few times..then unlock the door and go back and check the fire...if i am lucky this only goes on a couple of times...i think the stress of the last few months and being forced to lock my doors..which i have never done...has triggered this strange behavior of mine

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    a friend of mine died...left over 5 thousand books...in his house....you ever try to find someone to take 5 thousands books....i began to see what i was burdening my family with...in the event of my death....i gave away an extensive cookbook collection....i have donated things to claws and paws...i no longer try to hold on to things like that....when i hoard its more....if i find something on sale...bogo free stuff....i will buy the max i can...i have 15 things of all....in the laundry room...but they will be used...so my hoarding is a food thing...(o i dont even wanna hear the theories on that) i have 3 ..6 lb cans of peanut butter...8 jars of duke's....10 to 15 cake mixes....i really need to stop this mal

6. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    At least it's not Adult Diapers full of 2 Years of Feces... ;)

Seriously, that Story was as Disturbing as any I have seen...

Not yours, of course... The Old Lady on the Show.

peace...

7. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I'm a major hoarder of sea-shells. I have an enormous collection. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Perhaps you've seen it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    I'm the same way with Leaves in the Fall...

peace....

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I need to get on ebay and sell all those cans of pumpkin I bought a while back.

10. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926

I can totally understand the book hoarding LOL. For awhile a friend and I were buying books from Goodwill twice every month ($8.00 for a shopping cart full). We would then sort through them...keep some...and donate the rest to the VA Hospitals,School Reading Programs and Senior Centers. Well...I went through some boxes I found recently and... OMG... I now have a huge stash of books that I will never be able to read in my lifetime. The crap/clutter adds up quicker then you think sometimes :eek:.

Thank god I'm off work the week after Christmas, because I have huge plans of boxing up junk and carting it off to the thrift stores in town.