History Subject du jour: Race

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Race seems to be such popular subject on the board these days, that I thought I should point out a couple of race-related historic events of July 26th...

In 1822, the American Colonization Society established Liberia as a place to send black people who were formerly enslaved. The history of Liberia is unique among African nations because of its relationship with the United States. Other African Americans, who were never enslaved, chose to emigrate to Liberia as well. African-Americans gradually migrated to the colony and became known as Americo-Liberians, from where many present day Liberians trace their ancestry.
On July 26, 1847, the Americo-Liberian settlers declared the independence of the Republic of Liberia.
Today, Liberia is recovering from the lingering effects of the civil war and related economic dislocation. Statistics indicate that about 85% of the population live on less than $1.25 a day.Liberia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the capital of Liberia?

While the separation of African Americans from the general population was becoming legalized and formalized in the Progressive Era (1890s–1920s), and although Washington, DC and federal offices had been integrated since after the Civil War, President Woodrow Wilson introduced segregation in Federal offices.

On July 26th, 1948 Executive Order # 9981, President Harry S. Truman, another Democrat from the South, ends segregation in US Armed Forces.

Americans are obsessed with race.

This is not an accident

It is by design that we are obsessed with this issue.

Blame your neighbor of another race, and you're too busy hating them to look at who is really screwing things up.

Americans are obsessed with race.

This is not an accident

It is by design that we are obsessed with this issue.

Blame your neighbor of another race, and you're too busy hating them to look at who is really screwing things up.

I sort of agree with the premise, but just slightly off target...it is human kind that focuses on differences, as in color, language, religion.......

and, of course, if it is the nature of the species, then any rules, regulations, etc outside of discrimination in public accommodations and employment should simply be frowned upon...

Based on this premise, state-sponsored bias such as set-asides, race preferences and affirmative action are flawed and more harmful than good.

Race is obvious to everyone but the 'clever sillies'. Skin colour does not define race, race defines skin colour.

My question is this: why do blacks seem to follow the same pattern, no matter what part of the world they live in? Blacks have the same pathologies in all western countries, even if they weren't slaves. Why don't they take advantage of opportunities and why do they degenerate into barbarity when they are the dominant group inan area?

Forum List

Back