History of the marriage license

For most of history, marriage was essentially for rulers- and those who held property. Marriage was among other things a device used to create relationships between families- and rulers. Marriage was also a way to designate which children were legally recognized as children of the father- and which children were not recognized as the children of the father.

The reason to give tax benefits to married couples now is to create a life long partnership that benefits society.

Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred. It is an association that promotes a way of life, not causes; a harmony in living, not political faiths; a bilateral loyalty, not commercial or social projects. Yet it is an association for as noble a purpose as any involved in our prior decisions

you disagree with me and then repeat exactly what I said. Too much cheap vodka this afternoon? Its not good to mix it with the paxil.

If you agree with me that:

The reason to give tax benefits to married couples now is to create a life long partnership that benefits society.

Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred. It is an association that promotes a way of life, not causes; a harmony in living, not political faiths; a bilateral loyalty, not commercial or social projects. Yet it is an association for as noble a purpose as any involved in our prior decisions

Then we have no real disagreement.

thats exactly what I said before you said I was wrong. Seriously, do not mix alcohol and mind altering drugs.

Then we are in agreement on this issue, and you were merely wrong in your claim about women's rights.

No, you were wrong. In the USA women have always been able to own property. Who gives a shit what the rules were in England in the 1400s ?
Might as well repeat myself

And you ignored this post of mine.....you aren't even bothering to attempt to be right today are you?

Really?
Until recently it was fairly common that married women couldn't own property in many parts of the world.

4) Marriage Women’s Property Act, New York State - 1848

The British "merger of identities" doctrine law which retained women’s property under the control of their husbands, governed family affairs in the early years of the United States. Mississippi was the first English colony to challenge this, passing a Married Women's Property Act in 1839 (3/5 of which dealt with transfer of real property in slaves from father to daughter so plantations would not be divided amongst son-in-laws). New York in 1848 was one of the first states to grant women any rights in personal and real property. By 1900 every state had given married women substantial control over their property.

Forum List

Back