His Jewish ‘Problem’: A Myth?

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Mark Hosenball, Jake Sherman and Richard Wolffe | NEWSWEEK
Jun 16, 2008 Issue

Barack Obama received a standing ovation when he proclaimed his unwavering support for Israel to the influential lobbying group AIPAC last week. In her own AIPAC speech, Hillary Clinton said she was sure "that Senator Obama will be a good friend to Israel." But Clinton's reassuring words didn't soothe the wounded feelings of some prominent Jewish Obama supporters, who charge that Clinton campaign operatives manufactured fear about Obama's ethnic background and doubt about his loyalty to Israel in an effort to turn Jewish primary voters against him.

Obama has long had a strong core of liberal Jewish supporters in Chicago; his national Jewish support grew as his campaign surged. But so did rumors that he had a "problem" with Jewish voters because of his family background (middle name: Hussein) and that some of his aides held pro-Palestinian views. David Geffen, the Hollywood mogul who once backed the Clintons but turned to Obama, told NEWSWEEK that her campaign bears some responsibility for "an awful lot of disinformation" that sowed doubts about the candidate's support of Israel among "older Jewish voters in Florida." New Jersey Rep. Robert Andrews, an Obama backer, says that two months ago a top Hillary campaign operative told him Obama would have a "hard time winning in November" because of his alleged Jewish problem and indicated Clinton's campaign was going to take advantage of those fears. Andrews says he found such talk "offensive," but he didn't know whether Hillary had sanctioned it. Asked for comment, the Clinton campaign referred NEWSWEEK to an article in the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, in which spokesman Phil Singer called similar comments by Andrews "sad and divisive."
more ... Obama: Is His 'Jewish Problem? a Myth? | Newsweek Periscope | Newsweek.com

How many American Jewish voters are there, anyway?

5 or 6 million?

The whole Jewish population of the US is only 6+ million. However:

The Informal Israeli Lobby

American Jews recognize the importance of support for Israel because of the dire consequences that could follow from the alternative. Despite the fact that Israel is often referred to now as the fourth most powerful country in the world, the perceived threat to Israel is not military defeat, it is annihilation. At the same time, American Jews are frightened of what might happen in the United States if they do not have political power.
As a result, Jews have devoted themselves to politics with almost religious fervor. This is reflected by the fact that Jews have the highest percentage voter turnout of any ethnic group. Though the Jewish population in the United States is roughly six million (about 2.3% of the total U.S. population), roughly 94% live in 13 key electoral college states. These states alone are worth enough electoral votes to elect the president. If you add the non-Jews shown by opinion polls to be as pro-Israel as Jews, it is clear Israel has the support of one of the largest veto groups in the country.

The political activism of Jews forces congressmen with presidential ambitions to consider what a mixed voting record on Israel-related issues may mean in the political future. There are no benefits to candidates taking an openly anti-Israel stance and considerable costs in both loss of campaign contributions and votes from Jews and non-Jews alike. Potential candidates therefore have an incentive to be pro-Israel; this reinforces support for Israel in Congress. Actual candidates must be particularly sensitive to the concerns of Jewish voters; it follows that the successful candidate's foreign policy will be influenced, although not bound, by the promises that had to be made during the campaign.

The Israeli and Arab Lobbies

Yeah, but the numbers don't support the theory that their VOTES are the key issue, not even in those key states, methinks.

What possibly DOES give the "Jewish vote" such authority is the money they (and their allies) apparently can throw the way of the pols who do their bidding.

Bear in mind that much of the "aid" we give to Israel never really goes there as money

The aid is in the form of military hardware built by American arms merchants, so providing Israel with that aid is really welfare for those arms merchants, isn't it?

The American taxpayers pay for arms used by Israel, the profits go to American arms makers, and voila, you've got yourself one helluva lot of campaign contributors all seeking to gain power and influence over not only Republicans but Democraps too, and all for the benefit of Israel.

Nice system they've got.

The Israel tail wags the American dog.

Yeah, but the numbers don't support the theory that their VOTES are the key issue, not even in those key states, methinks.

What possibly DOES give the "Jewish vote" such authority is the money they (and their allies) apparently can throw the way of the pols who do their bidding.

Bear in mind that much of the "aid" we give to Israel never really goes there as money

The aid is in the form of military hardware built by American arms merchants, so providing Israel with that aid is really welfare for those arms merchants, isn't it?

The American taxpayers pay for arms used by Israel, the profits go to American arms makers, and voila, you've got yourself one helluva lot of campaign contributors all seeking to gain power and influence over not only Republicans but Democraps too, and all for the benefit of Israel.

Nice system they've got.

Trackable aid is noow at better than $3 billion a year......

I think a whole lot is about blackmail.....

Who knows more secrets than lawyers and doctors..... access to files and shared information goes a long way!

Trackable aid is noow at better than $3 billion a year......

I think a whole lot is about blackmail.....

Who knows more secrets than lawyers and doctors..... access to files and shared information goes a long way!

Im with ya on the blackmail. It's the only conclusion I can ever come to that explains America's embarassing subservience. Call it conspiracy and wild speculation but I have seen enough of my money wasted on Israel.

Massad is a highly effective secret service mafia, or so the story goes.

Some Americans willing to work on Isreal's behalf even if they have to betray America, as we have seen on at least two occassions.

Of course we will never been seen as honest brokers in the MidEast until we stop cowing down to Israel's interests.

OTOH, should we do that then it is entirely possible that Israll would have no choice but to unleash their nukes to defend themselves, either.

This is a internacine real estate war between two Semites tribes that we should never have involved ourselves in.

Too late for that now, of course.

If so then Jews would vote GOP since they traditionally support a strong Israel. But Jews overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Both parties are extremely loyal to Israel and have been since 1948.

Do Jews really overwhelmingly vote Democratic?

I wonder..

I wonder..
Most recognize the GOP to be much stronger in defense issues, hence support of Israel. As an example look at Obama's Iraq pull-out plan. Jews, however, continue to support Democrats.

I believe the Jewish problem is a myth! He will win the Jewish vote handingly, since Jews are loyal Democrats. His pledging $30 billion in military aid to Israel, stating Jerusalem must be undivided Israeli capital and stating strong against Hamas is all the Jews can want from a president.

Obama an American Problem? FACT!
His big brother government ideology will sink the American economy and drown the American worker with taxes.

Many people in the Arab world were surprised by the speech delivered by the Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama at the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee’s (AIPAC) annual conference. During the address, Obama pledged to give $30 US billion in military aid to Israel over a ten-year period and stated that Jerusalem must remain the undivided capital of Israel.

Obama promised to protect Israel and to deal with Iran by all means available, just as he stipulated the conditions for dealing with Hamas, the most important of which was that it must recognize Israel. Moreover, he promised a “cautious” withdrawal from Iraq. All of that suggests that Obama brings nothing new with respect to the aspirations of some people in our region just as nothing new has been brought to the Arab mind-set.

How many American Jewish voters are there, anyway?

5 or 6 million?

6 million, but it has been rated as high as 8-10 million. Not a big group, but they are significant in many key Democratic states like NY, NJ and FL. NY and NJ are must wins for any Democratic President.

im reminded of the dangled carrot bush used in 04 when teasing christians with overturning RvW....

it's a pretty sad state when an AMERICAN president can't get elected without giving israel a handjob.

Common misconception! In '48 the Americans didn't provide Israel any weapons and even put on an embargo of weapons to the area. America has never fought in any of Israeli's war, unlike the French and British. America's support of Israel didn't happen until the 60's!

I wonder
Yes they always do! Reagan got the most Jewish votes, but still only 40%, yet against Jimmey "Arguably the Worst President Ever" Carter everyone voted for Reagan. Democrats usually get 90%+ of the Jewish vote. Obama will be no different.

im reminded of the dangled carrot bush used in 04 when teasing christians with overturning RvW....

it's a pretty sad state when an AMERICAN president can't get elected without giving israel a handjob.

Fuck off Troll! :mad:You never add to the discussion and really have no knowledge on the subjects you speak of.

Nice system they've got.

I so love when anti-semitism raises it's ugly face. If you posted that type of stereotyping about any other group, you would, correctly, be called on it. If Jews only voted for people who supported Israel, Jews WOULDN'T vote for Democrats. They'd vote for Repubs because the religious right and the neo-cons are Israel's strongest supporters. Whether one agrees with the why's of that support is another issue. But it's fact. Jews vote democratic because we're generally socially liberal. We hate discrimination. We hate the southern strategy and the whole guns, g-d and gays thing.

Now, I'm sure some asshole will talk about the poor palestinians, but I don't think I've ever said Jews are stupid and will lay down and die in order to appease terrorist supporters who think Israel shouldn't protect itself because, ultimately, they don't think Israel should exist.

You following any of that?

And to all of the jerks who say that Jews vote only for Israel, I can tell you right now, that if Jews voted only for Israel, we'd only ever vote republican because the left of my party is a bunch of ignorant twits on the issue of Israel. On the other hand, the far right of the repub party has the lovely white supremacists who hate Israel too. I call it the Ron Paul coalition of left Israel-haters and white supremacist Israel haters. ;)

Fuck off Troll! :mad:You never add to the discussion and really have no knowledge on the subjects you speak of.

eat shit ya zionist pussy. Apparently, I add enough to make you react like a standard zionist knee jerk reaction to anything not automatically sucking jewish cock. If you don't like it then take your hebrew ass to israel where the state has a national policy of supporting anything a jew says over anything a goyim might have to say. While you are at it, feel free to take your jewish voting bloc with you.

Forum List

Back