Hiring mercenaries? se

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Many governments hire mercenary armies for the purpose of decimating the local population of a conquered land. The Habsburgs did it in Hungary, the Russians did it in Circasian, and the British hired Scottish mercenaries for Northern Ireland.

For the example of Northern Ireland, the Scottish mercenary settlements cause it to be broken away from Ireland.

Would that be a just war, if now the Republic of Ireland started a war to drive out the Northern Ireland Protestants back to Scotland? Especially considering that brexit is making the Northern Ireland border real for the first time in history?

Would an Irish war against Northern Ireland be a just war in the 21st century's?

not sure that i would like to see any country torn apart especially a peaceful one like Ireland by war but if i can throw in my two cents on the subject and say that disruption being what it is i expect mercenary and proxy armies like those in Syria, Ukraine and Iraq to be the new combatants in most future wars. cost less to fund, politically agreeable to the nations using them. they're easy to train and to find recruits to fight the future nationalistic and religious wars that will pop up.

Forum List

Back