Hillary Claims She Tried to Join Marines!

FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.

Hillary tried to join the Marines?

Join the Marines with what? The postal service?

Uh, no, guy, that doesn't add up, either.

Well it adds up just fine to me and to most Americans. His poll numbers are still holding, his campaign isn't reeling... all your bluster was for nothing and exposed the biased liberal media who now have zero credibility with the public.

It's sad... the crowd has moved on and you're still carnival barking... pleaaase listen to me!

Uh, guy, Uncle Tom is falling behind Combover. He no longer leads in the Iowa RCP Averages.

Well, you're being misled by a rolling average. It's kind of like being fooled by a shiny object... you know what that's like, right?

Carson and Trump are what they call "statistically tied" because the margin of error in the polls means they can't really discern who is leading who. There have only been a few state polls released since the Carson/West point flap and none of them appear to show Carson plummeting. There has not been a national poll yet, we'll have to wait and see, but I've predicted he ends up getting a slight bump. However, if Trump continues to attack him, he may get even more than a bump.

Too bad that we don't have a poll average or ratings score to measure what the effects of this has had on Politico or their reputation as journalists. But then... that's the problem with mainstream journalism these days.

Uh, no, guy, that doesn't add up, either.

Well it adds up just fine to me and to most Americans. His poll numbers are still holding, his campaign isn't reeling... all your bluster was for nothing and exposed the biased liberal media who now have zero credibility with the public.

It's sad... the crowd has moved on and you're still carnival barking... pleaaase listen to me!

Uh, guy, Uncle Tom is falling behind Combover. He no longer leads in the Iowa RCP Averages.

You're such a racist....

You people still believe a cryptic character in Los Angeles caused Benghazi and that you can still keep your health plan and save $2,500 per year.

the people who did Benghazi said they did it because of the video. Not that I care what their reason was.

Hillary told Egypt otherwise.

SO?

She's a proven LIAR. If you people want a Liar, go for it. She's perfect for the Left. However, she is not going to get the voter that determines elections: The White Male Independent.

I'm sorry... You said "here is the problem with your comparison" and then you just repeated the two stories, put your spin on Obama's and lied some more about Carson's. So are you saying that "my problem" is that you're a hack who is just going to keep lying no matter what?

Yeah... I can see that's my problem alright.

You are right about one thing. It IS understandable that Obama didn't want to write about all those white folks who influenced his life because that didn't fit the narrative of his black struggle. Nevertheless. having a good excuse for lying doesn't mean you didn't lie.

Guy, your problem is that you suffer from Obama Derangement Syndrome, which will probably metasticize into Hillary Derangement Syndrome when she gets elected.

the fact you want to put some sinister spin on Obama's not mentioning names of people who didn't want to be mentioned is amusing, but pointless. On the other hand, Uncle Tom wanted people to think he was this guy who could have gotten into the academy, but turned it down, when in fact, someone just suggested he apply.
The OP already suffers from terminal chronic narcissistic Hillary derangement rage fatigue syndrome. This thread is evidence of just how mentally debilitating his disease is.

Well, you're being misled by a rolling average. It's kind of like being fooled by a shiny object... you know what that's like, right?

Carson and Trump are what they call "statistically tied" because the margin of error in the polls means they can't really discern who is leading who. There have only been a few state polls released since the Carson/West point flap and none of them appear to show Carson plummeting. There has not been a national poll yet, we'll have to wait and see, but I've predicted he ends up getting a slight bump. However, if Trump continues to attack him, he may get even more than a bump.

Too bad that we don't have a poll average or ratings score to measure what the effects of this has had on Politico or their reputation as journalists. But then... that's the problem with mainstream journalism these days.

Uncle Tom has peaked, guy.

It tells me that's a really good reason to freak out and make a big deal out of a nothing story.

Hey... We've come a long way in a few short months. At first, it was a joke that Trump would even think of running for president. Then, it was "he'll never file his financials" and then it was "he doesn't stand a chance in hell!" Now, you are openly admitting they are wringing their hands in worry. I think that's a good thing... they should've been worried back in 2010, instead of slobbering all over Obama trying to get his agenda passed. If they had done more hand wringing back then, maybe Trump wouldn't be about to clean their clocks?

Carson is a byproduct of the same Establishment complacency. If they had been standing with Ted Cruz all this time, Carson wouldn't even be in the race.

Guy the fact thta your movement has become too crazy for your leaders isn't anything to be proud of.

A political party that runs celebrities instead of politicians is one that is severely broken.

Hint- Jesse the Body Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger were considered FAILURE celebrity governors. The presidency is not the place to put a celebritard.
A career politician is of the lowest of life forms on the planet....

• DNC Chair Freaks Out After Andrea Mitchell Actually Fact-Checks Hillary
    NewsBusters ^
    On Friday, MSNBC host Andrea Mitchell actually fact-checked Hillary Clinton’s suspicious tale of trying to join the Marines in 1975: "Those comments are being mocked by Republicans today and they’re getting two Pinocchios from Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler....Why on earth would she go to a Marine recruiter in 1975?...It doesn't make sense." Her guest, Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz was so taken aback that the Florida congresswoman attacked Mitchell for asking questions: "With all due respect, Andrea, why on earth are we talking about this?" Mitchell hit back: "Because she brought it up in New Hampshire the...

Hillary would have made a kickassed Marine

Semper Fi

Bottom line as it pertains to Hillary Clinton....

She had three choices the days following the Benghazi attack

1) Go with the information offered her by intel advisers saying it appeared to have been a planned terrorist attack
2) Go with her politically expedient excuse of blaming the attack on a protest that was spurred by an American exercising his first amendment right
3) Go with the typical mature response....we are collecting as much information as possible and will not guess at the cause until we have reviewed everything...

Yet...

She opted to blame it on our most sacred right (and most hated by many in the middle east)....the first amendment.

Enough said.

You write for FOX, right?
actually, no.

You had nothing more to offer? You did not try to punch holes in what I said? You did not try to prove me wrong?

You did not address the fact that your candidate of choice found it best to blame the first amendment on the reason four Americans died, when, in fact, there was no evidence showing such?

Typical childish response by a ....well....child

Hillary wanted to join the Marines but they turned her down because they thought she would make a better President than Marine

1) Go with the information offered her by intel advisers saying it appeared to have been a planned terrorist attack
2) Go with her politically expedient excuse of blaming the attack on a protest that was spurred by an American exercising his first amendment right
3) Go with the typical mature response....we are collecting as much information as possible and will not guess at the cause until we have reviewed everything...

Yet...

She opted to blame it on our most sacred right (and most hated by many in the middle east)....the first amendment.

Enough said.
WTF? She did #1, so why are you bitching? The initial belief was an Al-Qaeda attack as a faction of Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility. That's what Hillary told Chelsea and the leader of Egypt that night. Where did she lie? By the next morning, Al-Qaeda rescinded their claims of responsibility and the CIA was informing the White House and State Department that the video spurred the attack. So again, where did she lie?
You have not been paying attention.
Within days it was determined to be a planned attack. Panetta, that day, told the white house it was a planned attack.
The fact that you fall for spin and rhetoric to cover her up is not my problem.
Start paying attention and stop being easily fooled by spin.

Yet...

Enough said.
WTF? She did #1, so why are you bitching? The initial belief was an Al-Qaeda attack as a faction of Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility. That's what Hillary told Chelsea and the leader of Egypt that night. Where did she lie? By the next morning, Al-Qaeda rescinded their claims of responsibility and the CIA was informing the White House and State Department that the video spurred the attack. So again, where did she lie?
Within days it was determined to be a planned attack. Panetta, that day, told the white house it was a planned attack.
The CIA thinks you're an idiot. They told Republican-led hearings that they believed the video was the catalyst for the attack.

Yet...

Enough said.
The CIA thinks you're an idiot. They told Republican-led hearings that they believed the video was the catalyst for the attack.
Exactly what I said...you fall for the spin and then put it into the words that make you feel warm and fuzzy.
What they said at the hearings was that the video was one consideration being looked into and they were not able to rule it out until they were able to get to the site.
And the weak minded like you took it as "we said it was the video"
Panetta said he immediately told the White House that the theory that had most evidence to support it was the theory that it was a well planned attack.

Pay attention. People are easily fooled with spin by this administration.

Hillary wanted to join the Marines but they turned her down because they thought she would make a better President than Marine
a washcloth is better suited to plug a hole in a wooden boat than to plug a hole in the fuselage of an airplane flying at 30,000 feet.

But that doesn't mean it makes for a good wooden boat hole plug.

Yet...

Enough said.
you know, Faun, here is another example of what I am talking about.
Benghazi...
When asked why a full military recue team was not deployed, the administration said 'the military told us that we did not have enough time to get there...it would take 10 hours to brief, prep and engage'

When asked, the military agreed that yes, it would have taken 10 hours to get there.

And the administration said 'see, just as we told you'

And folks like you danced in the streets singing "Obama was right, the right is wrong"

Except for one thing...

At the opening minutes, how did Obama know the siege would be over in less than 10 hours? As it was, those brave souls held them off for nearly 9 hours....

When the military told him it will take 10 hours to get there, how did he know it would be over in one hour less?

THAT is how spin is used by this administration to fool the weak minded.

Yet...

Enough said.

You write for FOX, right?
actually, no.

You had nothing more to offer? You did not try to punch holes in what I said? You did not try to prove me wrong?

You did not address the fact that your candidate of choice found it best to blame the first amendment on the reason four Americans died, when, in fact, there was no evidence showing such?

Typical childish response by a ....well....child

How many investigations have the Repubs held? And judging from last one, when Hillary handed them their livers, I would advise them to hold not more inquisitions. They are beginning to look stupid....more stupid than usual.

Forum List

Back