Hillary Claims She Tried to Join Marines!

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.

That doesn't make much sense. As someone who personally assembled eyeglasses at RTC Orlando while recovering from a training injury I can confirm wearing glasses is not a barrier to enlistment. Stands out because the pneumatic drill thing I was using to put the screws in found it's way to one of my fingers. :)

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.

You're right... Carson has one day back in high school where Hil has 30+ years of dead bodies and scandals behind her. She knows how to lie so much better than Carson it's not funny! Who's he kidding?

You're right... Carson has one day back in high school where Hil has 30+ years of dead bodies and scandals behind her. She knows how to lie so much better than Carson it's not funny! Who's he kidding?

Guy, your side has spent over a hundred million dollars and dozens of special prosecutors and congressional committees trying to get the goods on Hillary. and you've come up with nothing so far in 20 years of this.

So either she really didn't do any of the things you keep accusing her of, or she's a criminal mastermind who would put Professor Moriarty to shame.

Meanwhile, Uncle Tom's house of cards is falling apart with the first gust of actual scrutiny. I think he was leading the RCP average for one day before people started digging into his claims.

Well since the Marines don't have a military academy per say, probably not.
Graduates of the naval academy in Annapolis have the option of entering either the Navy as an Ensign or the Marines as a 2nd Lieutenant. ....... :cool:

Yes... that's why I said "per say" ...you may have missed it. It's Latin... per se : "in itself."

Hillary lied about trying to join the Marines (or Army, depending on version of lie). But then... Hillary lies constantly and continually. She has been lying ever since she left her lesbian girlfriend to first go out with Bill. In 2008, when campaigning against Obama, she actually told more lies than he did but he won out because his lies were more believable. Hell... Hillary is who started the rumor that Obama was born in Kenya!

Concerning annaplois, I believe Carson was telling the truth as he remembered but used the wrong terminology. So being told that you can get appointed to the navel academy and receive an education for free, paid for by the government, is not the same as a scarlorship. I'm willing to cut him a break on this one.

Now Hillary, we all know she is a liar.

Guy, your side has spent over a hundred million dollars and dozens of special prosecutors and congressional committees trying to get the goods on Hillary. and you've come up with nothing so far in 20 years of this.

So either she really didn't do any of the things you keep accusing her of, or she's a criminal mastermind who would put Professor Moriarty to shame.

Meanwhile, Uncle Tom's house of cards is falling apart with the first gust of actual scrutiny. I think he was leading the RCP average for one day before people started digging into his claims.

or she's a criminal mastermind who would put Professor Moriarty to shame.

Watch Primary Colors.

Yes... that's why I said "per say" ...you may have missed it. It's Latin... per se : "in itself."

Hillary lied about trying to join the Marines (or Army, depending on version of lie). But then... Hillary lies constantly and continually. She has been lying ever since she left her lesbian girlfriend to first go out with Bill. In 2008, when campaigning against Obama, she actually told more lies than he did but he won out because his lies were more believable. Hell... Hillary is who started the rumor that Obama was born in Kenya!

And after a dozen special prosecutors and congressional investigations, how much of this have you proven?

in a 1994 speech hillary simply shared a personal anecdote with memories of merely speaking to a local military recruiter and inquiring about possibilities as she was considering all of her public service options at the time. she was 27 years old.

she recalled his concerns with her age and her glasses but it was simply a candid conversation with a local recruiter, nothing more nothing less...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back