Hiking backpacks?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Someone gave me a suggestion for a good ergonomic backpack, but I can't find it.

I want one that will not cause my back to spasm, if possible. Probably an internal frame....

Also, do they make hiker's backpacks for kids?

• Banned
Do they have portable ones that can go with me wherever I may roam?

Sherpas will go anywhere you do if you have enough money.

1.1205178060.our_sherpas.jpg

• Banned
They make more than me, so it's unlikely I do have enough money.

Are they ergonomic? I hope they won't strain my shoulders and neck...

sherpas are highly religious and highly superstitious...they will not go everywhere

i would love to be able to pay a bunch of sherpas to haul my ass up everest

where i would simply die of lack of oxygen

sherpas are highly religious and highly superstitious...they will not go everywhere

i would love to be able to pay a bunch of sherpas to haul my ass up everest

where i would simply die of lack of oxygen

True but these are Peruvian Sherpas in the picture....... :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

Someone gave me a suggestion for a good ergonomic backpack, but I can't find it.

I want one that will not cause my back to spasm, if possible. Probably an internal frame....

What kind of hiking ? How long and how far you going into the woods and how big are your kid ?And whats your budget ?

I have ALWAYS wanted to climb Everest.

Ridiculous of course. I know I would croak. Moving to Los Alamos, NM @ 15 almost killed me, took me months to acclimate @ 7500 feet! Still, I keep that dream on a little shelf with my dream of being a supermodel, an Olympian equestrienne, a famouse and rich writer, and a national park ranger.

Every now and then I dust them off and admire them.

What kind of hiking ? How long and how far you going into the woods and how big are your kid ?

Kids are 7 & 8, slender, the boy is pretty stout and the girl very slender. I don't know how tall they are, they're average for 7-8 year old kids.

Day hikes for now. Maybe we'll do some hike in camping trips next year or the year after. But this year, I would just like to have a backpack so I can hike in further than a couple of bottles of water will take us, and feel like we're covered. I turned back on a trail I would really have liked to explore because I didn't have enough water, and no way to comfortably carry water. I'm actually thinking that for this year, maybe hydration packs are the way to go....

odds are allie you could make it up everest ....summit as they say.....odds are you will die on the way down....but like you ...we would be evacuated from base camp.....i went to lake tahoe and had trouble...now i understand that soon you can take a helicopter to the top...i cant even imagine what that will cost

my dream mountain is mount kilimanjaro

I've driven up to the top of Pikes peak twice when I was young and in excellent shape. Both times I had a constant headache and could only walk about 20 feet before having to rest. It was worse the second time because I was home visiting from Virginia and drove my wife up to see it. The views are incredible and well worth it.

Naturally I'm drawn the THE MOST EXPENSIVE.

I like the Osprey.

Of course I like the Osprey, why wouldn't I? It costs a fortune! Expensive things send radio signals to my brain, and to my credit card.

odds are allie you could make it up everest ....summit as they say.....odds are you will die on the way down....but like you ...we would be evacuated from base camp.....i went to lake tahoe and had trouble...now i understand that soon you can take a helicopter to the top...i cant even imagine what that will cost

my dream mountain is mount kilimanjaro

I want to avoid the whole high altitude sickness/compression chamber/heart and brain edema thing if at all possible....

What kind of hiking ? How long and how far you going into the woods and how big are your kid ?

Kids are 7 & 8, slender, the boy is pretty stout and the girl very slender. I don't know how tall they are, they're average for 7-8 year old kids.

Day hikes for now. Maybe we'll do some hike in camping trips next year or the year after. But this year, I would just like to have a backpack so I can hike in further than a couple of bottles of water will take us, and feel like we're covered. I turned back on a trail I would really have liked to explore because I didn't have enough water, and no way to comfortably carry water. I'm actually thinking that for this year, maybe hydration packs are the way to go....

Ok. First, an external frame pack and expensive DOES NOT mean more comfortable. REI and there ilk are ok, but I would buy off E-Bay. Go to the big stores, and try them on, but you will save money buying used. And if you dont like it, you can put it right back on E-bay and sell it. For your kids, I would look at a small A.L.I.C.E. pack. They have no frame and the kids find them quite stylish. The straps will need to be taped when you (they) get it adjusted ware they want it but it is a good pack. You can also get a water filter and pump water ware you are at. Don't scrimp on the water filter either, giardia is a bitch. I use a military surplus large A.L.I.C.E. and have actually lived out of it. You can carry everything you would need and more. I got my pack, sleeping mat, and sleeping bag for the whopping sum of $75.00. The down side is that they need to be customized for comfort. They aren't called "the big green tick" because they are beautiful and comfi.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back