Highway Driving Practices

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?
Mixed impression. Slow drivers meaning people that follow the speed limit? VS jerks that speed and tailgate to the next red light or risk lives and property just to get ahead, they aren't really the bigger problem? I actually feel better with a dash camera NOW because people don't play fair and they don't follow the rules they agreed too when they got that drivers license of theirs.

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?
Consider this, most, if not all, CMVs have governors on them to limit engine and/or vehicle speed. These are generally set between 60MPH and around 70MPH or so. So that trucker that is pissing you off by not exceeding 67MPH when passing someone going 65MPH, may not be able to go faster. Also, many OTR companies give bonuses for fuel economy, so they may just be trying to put more food on the table for their family. Yes, they could just slow down, or you could just learn a little patience. As for the regular passenger vehicles, I agree, though they have just as much right as you to leave their cruise on and let it do it's job. Point is, none of these people are trying to piss anyone off, they are just trying to get from point A to point B, just like you. So cut them some slack, and just be patient... None of this will matter in a week, you will have gotten to where you were going and moved on with your life.
Side bar:
My commute is roughly 23 miles. The speed limit is 65MPH. The difference in the time it takes going 65, versus 70 is about 90 seconds. So for the speed difference to have a five minute effect on your day, you would have to be going just under 77 miles. Just a little something to keep in mind the next time you get stuck behind someone going slower than you would like.

So the point would be, just set the fucking cruise, stay in the passing lane and everyone else can just fuck off? Works for me.

And for a lot of other people, too, based on what I'm seeing on the road.

Almost all my driving is in urban areas and so on busy freeways if somebody is doing the speed limit it doesn't matter to me which lane they're in. On an open road then yes, I make a practice of using the left lane only to pass.

Have you ever heard the expression, "the passing lane"?

Are you aware that almost every state stipulates that, when driving on a multiple lane road, you must remain in the right hand lane unless you are passing or need to move left to get to your destination? It's not just courtesy, it's the law.

On many, if not most highways, the normal flow of traffic exceeds the posted speed limit. Thus, if you are traveling at the speed limit in the left ("passing") lane, you are obstructing traffic.

Are you aware that almost every state stipulates that, when driving on a multiple lane road, you must remain in the right hand lane unless you are passing or need to move left to get to your destination? It's not just courtesy, it's the law.

On many, if not most highways, the normal flow of traffic exceeds the posted speed limit. Thus, if you are traveling at the speed limit in the left ("passing") lane, you are obstructing traffic.

Most places give you 10 MPH, but I've seen the buffer as low as 5 MPH.

That being said, yes, "regulators" going the speed limit in the left lane are annoying. Even If I am going the usual 5+ to 10+ buffer I always move back to the right lane when I can. Exceptions are for 1) passing and 2) when the left is empty and I see cars getting on at an entrance trying to merge.

That being said, the most evil people are those who drive in the median in heavy traffic, or use exit lanes and then try to merge back in at the last second. Those people deserve their own layer in hell.

Other viewpoints?

With 18 wheelers it depends, some places they have a slower speed limit and a lot of weight behind them to accelerate around a slower car or truck.

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease

Other viewpoints?

With 18 wheelers it depends, some places they have a slower speed limit and a lot of weight behind them to accelerate around a slower car or truck.

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease

As a CMV driver, I can tell you that you are correct. The mountain thing is a bit more complex than that, but you have the basics right.
A truck's ability to climb hills is dependant on several factors including:
  • Combined weight of truck, trailer, and load.
  • Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.
  • Rolling resistance of tires is a small factor.
  • And at high speeds, areodynamics can play a small part
Also, remember that on many steep or long grades a truck has to downshift BEFORE starting up (or down) to maintain the highest speed possible (or safest speed).

Have you ever been at a store where somebody has their cart right in the middle of a narrow aisle, and is absolutely oblivious to the fact that others might also wish to get through as they are planted in place trying to decide between baked or quick fried to a crackly crunch?

Same people.

Have you ever been at a store where somebody has their cart right in the middle of a narrow aisle, and is absolutely oblivious to the fact that others might also wish to get through as they are planted in place trying to decide between baked or quick fried to a crackly crunch?

Same people.
It all comes back to distraction, most people walk, shop and drive distracted, when driving they're changing the radio station or CD, digging around in the glove box for some matches to light a cig, playing with themselves while thinking about sheep, talking or texting (phone), eating, putting on makeup, jawjacking with the passengers (not looking at the road) and simply just off in daydream never-never land.

I grew up in a large family, and my father beat it into all of our heads that we must be constantly aware of how what we are doing affect people around us. Whether it was talking loudly in church, blocking a doorway, parking in an inconvenient spot, or whatever, we constantly were aware of our surroundings and tried to avoid being a nuisance to others.

Driving is one of the most "public" things that any of us do, and being oblivious is not only inconsiderate, it can be dangerous.

In a photo album I have, I have a some safety awards, driving 10,000 miles with no accidents - winter safety driving course.....and other certifications of training.

I still use today.....some of the driving training that I received in the Military. I drove everything from a Chevy Truck to a Heavy Transport for M1 Tanks. Then I became a staff driver in Korea for a Full Bird Colonel, and part time for a General Officer ; and I have both their pictures.

Back in the day, I was on top of my game.....and I did it very well. People from different ranks ; Sergeants....all the way to Lt.Col asking me for my opinion.....or to help them plan a task. Security survey, field exercises, and others.

Shadow 355

Other viewpoints?
Agree.

It is most inconsiderate to sit in the passing lane, holding up drivers behind you. Michigan State Police have just started ticketing assholes who do this.

Left-lane drivers beware: State police want you to get over

You don't see this type of inconsiderate/oblivious driving behavior in Europe.

I agree about Europe. Nobody blocks the passing lane, and if there is a momentary delay while someone is passing a slower vehicle, a quick flash of the left turn signal will get them out of your way.

Even in Italy, where I had a mental expectation of crazy drivers, the competence of the locals is exemplary - especially considering that they are contending with not only cars but a lot of motorcycles and motorscooters, all trying to get where they need to go with streets and boulevards that follow no grid or other logical pattern.

Nothing will wake you up more quickly than travelling in the passing lane on the Autostrada at 120, and having a guy in an Audi come up behind you and flash his high beams at you for going too slow.

Consider this, most, if not all, CMVs have governors on them to limit engine and/or vehicle speed. These are generally set between 60MPH and around 70MPH or so. So that trucker that is pissing you off by not exceeding 67MPH when passing someone going 65MPH, may not be able to go faster. Also, many OTR companies give bonuses for fuel economy, so they may just be trying to put more food on the table for their family. Yes, they could just slow down, or you could just learn a little patience. As for the regular passenger vehicles, I agree, though they have just as much right as you to leave their cruise on and let it do it's job. Point is, none of these people are trying to piss anyone off, they are just trying to get from point A to point B, just like you. So cut them some slack, and just be patient... None of this will matter in a week, you will have gotten to where you were going and moved on with your life.
Side bar:
My commute is roughly 23 miles. The speed limit is 65MPH. The difference in the time it takes going 65, versus 70 is about 90 seconds. So for the speed difference to have a five minute effect on your day, you would have to be going just under 77 miles. Just a little something to keep in mind the next time you get stuck behind someone going slower than you would like.

Than they need to stay in the slow lane.

I like the way they do it in Texas. If the freeway/highway isnt posted as 'Left lane for passing only" the left lane is considered the fast lane and slower traffic is expected to stay out of it.
We call the situation you describe a mexican roadblock.
And we all know that people driving slow in the fast lane cause more accidents than than the people driving the average speed of the other vehicles in the fast lane whether it's the posted speed or not.

Forum List

Back