High School Suspends Student For Not Standing For Pledge Of Allegiance

Well it's about time a school punished a student for NOT being patriotic. These days it's usually the other way around. Didn't a boy recently get expelled for wearing a T-shirt with an American flag on it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3k-68iq16U]Kids get suspended at school wearing American Flag Shirts on Cinco De Mayo on Sean Hannity - YouTube[/ame]

The school's in a tough spot. What are they supposed to do? Make the pledge of allegiance optional? Maybe, I don't know, but the school should want to promote love of country, kids should respect authority and there has to be order. Perhaps a suspension is too harsh, maybe if kids chose to protest they recieve some other punishment. If they want to take a stand then they have to pay some sort of price. That's how it works a lot of times in the real world.

Last edited:
The school's in a tough spot. What are they supposed to do? Make the pledge of allegiance optional?

Yes.

The case law concerning this issue is clear, accepted, and settled: schools cannot compel students to ‘pledge’ to the flag.

Consequently, the school is not in a ‘tough spot.’

Understood. I'm not sure I agree with the law though.

The school's in a tough spot. What are they supposed to do? Make the pledge of allegiance optional?

Yes.

The case law concerning this issue is clear, accepted, and settled: schools cannot compel students to ‘pledge’ to the flag.

Consequently, the school is not in a ‘tough spot.’

Understood. I'm not sure I agree with the law though.

Consider the issue in the broader Constitutional context, then.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If all he was required to do was stand I don't have much of an issue with the kid getting in trouble.
I'm sort of of the opinion that while in school if the teacher tells you to stand, you stand.

Well it's about time a school punished a student for NOT being patriotic. These days it's usually the other way around. Didn't a boy recently get expelled for wearing a T-shirt with an American flag on it?

that's not why they were expelled, that's just what the outrage machine has told you.

Having the pledge of allegiance is a great idea. Making it mandatory defeats the purpose.

If you force the kid to participate, it is not a pledge of allegiance, it is forced recitation of words. Nothing more.

The proper way to handle this is through the old fashioned way of coercion: shame.

Next assembly sit a WWII vet and a wounded Iraq war vet on either side of the kid. Lets see how he reacts then. If he wants to make a stand for a position on something, make him work for it.

I thought he was suspended for not standing rather than refusing to recite. I am quite sure that simply standing is neither reciting nor pledging, it would simply constitute respect for those who choose to do so.

I believe we are required by law and under sanction of contempt if we refuse to stand when the judge enters a courtroom.

Last edited:
There has to be a certain amount of order in schools. I think mandating that kids at least stand is not too much to ask.

I thought he was suspended for not standing rather than refusing to recite. I am quite sure that simply standing is neither reciting nor pledging, it would simply constitute respect for those who choose to do so.

I believe we are required by law and under sanction of contempt if we refuse to stand when the judge enters a courtroom.

A court is a different situation than a school assembly.

Forum List

Back