High school AP gov student-question on 2016 candidates

lucas34

Rookie
Jul 21, 2016
Hi, for my summer assignment I need to write this essay

You have taken a job as a campaign advisor for one of the current Presidential Candidates. Your job is to guide them through the campaigning process - defining their message to the people and to helping to “sculpt” their public image.
a. Which two maxims would you repeat to them every morning during the campaign? Why?
b. Which maxim would you tell your candidate to ignore and why? Be sure to argue why these particular maxims fit this particular candidate. Here are the maxims from Hardball that you will be defining and arguing:

 What've ya done for me lately?

 All politics is local

 Triangulation

 It's better to receive than to give

 Dance with the one that brung ya.

 Keep your enemies in front of you

 Don't Get Mad; Don't Get Even; Get Ahead

 Leave no shot unanswered.

 Hang a Lantern on Your Problem

 Politics = Power

 Only talk when it improves the silence

 Retail politics

 The Press is the Enemy

I already know what all those maxims mean, I just don't know who to choose. I don't really follow Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, so I don't know which of the maxims best applies to one of the candidates. If anyone can guide me on which maxims best reflects one of the candidates, it would be much appreciated.

Looks alot like many of them apply to
Hillary to me...

You have taken a job as a campaign advisor for one of the current Presidential Candidates. Your job is to guide them through the campaigning process - defining their message to the people and to helping to “sculpt” their public image.
a. Which two maxims would you repeat to them every morning during the campaign? Why?
b. Which maxim would you tell your candidate to ignore and why? Be sure to argue why these particular maxims fit this particular candidate. Here are the maxims from Hardball that you will be defining and arguing:

 All politics is local

 Triangulation

 Politics = Power

 Retail politics

 The Press is the Enemy

I already know what all those maxims mean, I just don't know who to choose. I don't really follow Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, so I don't know which of the maxims best applies to one of the candidates. If anyone can guide me on which maxims best reflects one of the candidates, it would be much appreciated.

“Play your own game”.

That is the #1 thing that gets people in the public eye in trouble…when they stop doing what made them successful in the first place. Jim Rome (a bombastic sports talk-show host) had an opportunity to go into satellite radio recently. The rumor was that they were going to give him his own station and he could be the sports equivalent to Howard Stern. He would have his 3-4 hour live show daily, replays of taped interviews from the past built around current events. Say the Indians are in the World Series; an interview he did with the cast of “Major League” may be apropos and replayed along with current interviews.

Anyway, he turned them down and rightly so (in my view). Rome’s appeal is that he is edgy but not over the top. He hits the sweet spot between class and crass that most do not know exists. Chances are that his callers and himself would be using profanity, making classless jokes and all the while blending into the background noise—they are a dime a dozen.

What HRC can afford to do is play her own game. She can basically set up a bunch of punch lists and simply rack up endorsement after endorsement, fund raiser after fund raiser and win this thing. She has been put into this position by a unimaginably mindless operation on the other side. The Trump campaign had more votes against it than it had for it; in California he ran unopposed and 25% of the votes went to some other Republican!!!! How one man has engendered so much hatred from his own party is truly a work of art. 2016 Election Center

Anyway, If I’m an advisor to HRC…it’s “play your own game” and simply make the election about qualified and not; engaged and not; prepared and not, and above all else, ready and not. The voters can see who the contender and who the pretender is and 25% of the voters in CA were right; it’s not Drumpf.

 All politics is local

 Triangulation

 Politics = Power

 Retail politics

 The Press is the Enemy

Personally, I'd run with Trump because with Clinton she is running the classic Democrat "tried and true" campaign which although highly effective is boring as hell. Trump would give you far more options to be an innovative campaign manager for your essay. And I would write it as the campaign manager. Not just a lowly advisor. That also gives you more options with your directives :).

Now just for fun, not serious here. I'm only on my first coffee. The Press is the Enemy Maxim. For Trump and his campaign crew it would be perfect. They're such animals.

At your Team Trump meeting every morning you ask the assembled personnel "Team. What in all the world could bring the greatest happiness?".

And in unison they reply "To crush the liberal media, to see them fall at your feet, to destroy their egotistical souls, and to hear the lamentations of their editors. That would be best".

:lol:

I'm paraphrasing from GENGHIS KAHN: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MEN by Lamb. A slightly different version was made famous in the movie "Conan the Barbarian".

Great summer project BTW. I wish you all the best.

Forum List

Back